interesting turn...

Lenovo to manufacture the Nexus 6 aimed heavily at the US market Lenovo Inherits Nexus 6 Duties Along With Motorola Purchase?
    01-31-14 10:37 PM
    Disagree strongly about Lenovo quality. Lenovo makes a broad range of products, as I explained earlier. $300 laptops are never going to be "tanks". IBM never made a $300 laptop. False analogy.

Re: "everyone likes Sony"....
    Omnitech, IBM left the laptop market years and years ago. Sure Thinkpads were several thousand dollars back then; but, so were all the competitors'!

You have to normalize the pricing. Lenovo is a much later player when computers continue to fall in price while maintaining or even improving in quality. (For example, Chiclet keyboards, unibody design, and metal bodies only became widely available on non-Macs a couple years ago. Apple started the trend and everybody else followed.)

Once you normalize the pricing and everything, the IBM and Lenovo analogy indeed becomes valid. Lenovo's 1000 USD modern computers (which I regard to be roughly the same tier as the Thinkpads) are not comparable in quality to IBM's Thinkpads.

thor have mention it several times :

Thorsten Heins: "To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone" | CrackBerry.com

RIM Still Open to Licensing BlackBerry 10 - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

yes BB are fail to find large smartphone vendor willing to pay BB to use BB10 OS
    Thanks for the links, Garnok. I would never have the patience to Google out those links myself.
    01-31-14 11:03 PM
    This is sad but I also have this grin because the Google fanboys are always making fun of BlackBerry and have been pronouncing BlackBerry's death for years. Now, what?

Posted via CB10
    Same as before.
    Now Samsung, Now LG, Now HTC, Now Sony, Now Xaomi, Now ZTE...ahh h@ll you can look for yourself:
    Android Devices
    The android train keeps rolling along.

Best to be careful at railroad crossings.
    02-01-14 04:38 AM
    It doesn't surprise me at all that Google quickly sold Motorola. I haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but Google mainly bought Motorola to remove a threat. One of the main reasons the purchases happened in the first place was to prevent Motorola from suing other Android OEMs.

Motorola flat out said they were going to start suing Android OEMs that were using their patents and get licensing agreements from them. Much like Microsoft had already done. Google had no choice but to buy Motorola after that.

The purchase was never about using Motorola to make devices, it was about protecting Android and the companies that use it. Motorola was a threat to Android, so Google bought them up and removed that threat.

Makes ya wonder don't it? BlackBerry could have been bought for far less than they paid for Motorola, but obviously Google must not consider anything BlackBerry is doing to be a threat to Android. Same goes for Microsoft and Apple - both could have purchased BlackBerry with what they consider to be pocket change. The fact that neither of those three companies bought and removed the "threat" that is BlackBerry is quite telling.
    milo53 and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-01-14 09:23 AM
    Omnitech, IBM left the laptop market years and years ago. Sure Thinkpads were several thousand dollars back then; but, so were all the competitors'!

The point is that the price of a laptop in those days was getting perilously close to the price of a car.

It's no surprise that you can put lots of high-end materials and engineering into an elite product like that.

You cannot do that when you sell something today for $300. Period.
    02-01-14 10:39 AM
    thor have mention it several times :

Thorsten Heins: "To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone" | CrackBerry.com

RIM Still Open to Licensing BlackBerry 10 - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

yes BB are fail to find large smartphone vendor willing to pay BB to use BB10 OS
    Thanks,
    I know why I'm selective now ... I "killed" the idea by then.
    Google gets out of handset business before BlackBerry-capture.png
    02-02-14 01:58 AM
    Google to kill Nexus range in 2015: Report - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Let's see how well the "Google Experience" sells when one has to shell out $500 for it.
    I just don't buy that they would kill them off. First, it's the platform they build android on, and second, it gives developers a very affordable handset with the latest software and hardware to test their apps on. Google isn't in the nexus line for money and it's not like they ever have any left over as back stock.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 09:57 PM
    Google can afford to stay in bed and not do anything and they'll be fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 10:10 AM
    You cannot underestimate your competitors and always keep on innovating especially in technology; sure Google can afford to not do anything but if they don't watch their competitors, they could one day end up like Nortel. That's why these big name corps always swallow up small startups and entrepreneurs to eliminate future threats.

Google can afford to stay in bed and not do anything and they'll be fine.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:23 PM
    The title of this thread is not really congruent with reality IMHO. Goggle never was and never will be a "cell phone" company. Google is a data gathering company that merely uses Android as a mean to collect that data. So to say that they got out of the handset business before blackberry is very misleading. They do not need to be in the handset business and never needed to be in the first place, whereas Blackberry's does. Part of Blackberry's security proposition is having their own secure OS running on their own devices. If they were to exit the handset business they may as well close the doors on the company.
    02-10-14 01:31 PM
    The title of this thread is not really congruent with reality IMHO. Goggle never was and never will be a "cell phone" company. Google is a data gathering company that merely uses Android as a mean to collect that data. So to say that they got out of the handset business before blackberry is very misleading. They do not need to be in the handset business and never needed to be in the first place, whereas Blackberry's does. Part of Blackberry's security proposition is having their own secure OS running on their own devices. If they were to exit the handset business they may as well close the doors on the company.
    I mostly agree.
    02-10-14 02:16 PM
    The title of this thread is not really congruent with reality IMHO. Goggle never was and never will be a "cell phone" company. Google is a data gathering company that merely uses Android as a mean to collect that data. So to say that they got out of the handset business before blackberry is very misleading.
    Motorola makes phones. Google bought Motorola. Google (Eric Schmidt) attended the formal opening of the Texas factory. Motorola released phones post-acquisition. That makes Google a cell phone company, for the short time it held on to MMI.
    02-10-14 03:03 PM
    Motorola makes phones. Google bought Motorola. Google (Eric Schmidt) attended the formal opening of the Texas factory. Motorola released phones post-acquisition. That makes Google a cell phone company, for the short time it held on to MMI.
    Yes. But it is not their core business. It was just a means to strengthen their core business (mining data). Ultimately they don't need to make and sell phones as they have their OEM's to do that for them. I would say that owning Motorola actually hurt their core mission as it just alienated their OEM partners by creating the idea that Motorola would get preferential treatment.

Blackberry on the other hand needs to stay in the HW business as it is a key component of their business. For Goggle it is not.

Just my take.
    raino likes this.
    02-10-14 03:20 PM
    Yes. But it is not their core business. It was just a means to strengthen their core business (mining data). Ultimately they don't need to make and sell phones as they have their OEM's to do that for them. I would say that owning Motorola actually hurt their core mission as it just alienated their OEM partners by creating the idea that Motorola would get preferential treatment.

Blackberry on the other hand needs to stay in the HW business as it is a key component of their business. For Goggle it is not.

Just my take.
    Agreed for the most part. Core business or not, they did get into it, and make an effort. They could have just bought MMI, stripped it off its patents to whatever degree, and sold it off without making any devices. But they didn't.
    02-10-14 03:26 PM
    Agreed for the most part. Core business or not, they did get into it, and make an effort. They could have just bought MMI, stripped it off its patents to whatever degree, and sold it off without making any devices. But they didn't.

Well they did, actually. They acted like it was a going concern, but like so many other things they do, bled what they wanted out of it then kicked it to the curb.

On paper they lost a ridiculous amount of money on that company. The only way you could rationalize that is by valuing Motorola's patents at a very high multi-billion dollar level. Some seem to think they also gained some insight into the hardware business, which is undoubtedly true to some extent though one would have to wonder how many billions that experience is worth.
    02-16-14 11:18 PM
    Well they did, actually. They acted like it was a going concern, but like so many other things they do, bled what they wanted out of it then kicked it to the curb.

On paper they lost a ridiculous amount of money on that company. The only way you could rationalize that is by valuing Motorola's patents at a very high multi-billion dollar level. Some seem to think they also gained some insight into the hardware business, which is undoubtedly true to some extent though one would have to wonder how many billions that experience is worth.
    actually some other poster already post google not really losing a lot of money...they buy motorola patent cheaper than the valuation price...

you can read this article...Google's Brilliant, Money-Losing Motorola Deal - Bloomberg

in the end after selling some motorola hardware division, google buying motorola patent for 5.2billion dollars...while the patent valuation around 5.5 billion dollars ....and if you remember google needs it desparately to fight against nortel patent that being acquired by apple/microsoft etc
    02-17-14 04:09 AM
    I don't see why the title of this thread is controversial. The fact that Google didn't need to be in devices not relevant. The title of the thread is accurate enough, and does highlight something a lot of people would not have thought would happen.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    02-17-14 04:20 AM
    We will be controlled by Google...Google is evil

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 08:14 AM
143 ... 456