I heard recently that Samsung was not going to continue working on Tizen... there must have been a meeting where Google told Samsung "we're getting out of the handset business so you can go all-in on Android".
    01-29-14 08:29 PM
    Looks like Google is keeping project ara to itself. Maybe there will be a new wave of modular phones that will be priced based on what you want.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:30 PM
    A company can't survive being an OS provider and a handset maker in the present day. It's the way the industry is going. Apple is going to fall flat on their face and will realise the hard way in a few years or maybe sooner.
    as far as in the real world Apple is making more money like never before. as hardware maker and OS provider so I don't get from where you base your thinking. and for future things chance consumer demand and market supply isn't static so again don't get where your doom's day for apple is coming from. building hardware and making the software gives a company huge advantage if played properly as apple had proved.
    milo53, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    01-29-14 09:00 PM
    I think Google is best with their Nexus devices over Motorola devices. Now, I would like to see Android kick off well on the Nexus device's and pass Samsung. I don't like Samsung at all.
    01-29-14 09:04 PM
    as far as in the real world Apple is making more money like never before. as hardware maker and OS provider so I don't get from where you base your thinking. and for future things chance consumer demand and market supply isn't static so again don't get where your doom's day for apple is coming from. building hardware and making the software gives a company huge advantage if played properly as apple had proved.
    Apple doesn't have competing OEM's making for the same OS. They aren't competing with their own offerings. Very different situation.
    01-29-14 09:09 PM
    Apple doesn't have competing OEM's making for the same OS. They aren't competing with their own offerings. Very different situation.
    did you read the quote I replied to? guess not.

but even your thought is wrong! Microsoft's Nokia is competing with HTC, Samsung, Huawei, etc in WP OS.
    01-29-14 09:25 PM
    I heard recently that Samsung was not going to continue working on Tizen... there must have been a meeting where Google told Samsung "we're getting out of the handset business so you can go all-in on Android".
    More like Samsung had a meeting with Samsung and figured that it knows where its profits come from.
    bp3dots and MERCDROID like this.
    01-29-14 09:41 PM
    did you read the quote I replied to? guess not.

but even your thought is wrong! Microsoft's Nokia is competing with HTC, Samsung, Huawei, etc in WP OS.
    microsoft bought nokia because they fear nokia will abandon WP8 to android, while the other vendor only make half asses WP8 phone.

Microsoft need nokia to keep compete in mobile market, while google just need motorola only for the patent.

there will be a mutual agreement with Lenovo and Google to keep Lenovo push android as their main mobile OS , maybe completely abandon WP8 and other future mobile OS. Google doesnt need 3billion dollar lenovo money, lenovo is the only vendor i think can defeat samsung. Lenovo have strong sales number in China, india, Indonesia 3 countries that have very large population in the world.
    KenFletch likes this.
    01-29-14 09:43 PM
    That would only mean anything if Samsung actually had entertained the notion of dumping Android for Tizen. Despite the rampant rumors from various unreliable sources, I seriously doubt Samsung ever considered replacing or dropping Android. You don't replace record profits in an industry in hopes to start over at the bottom.
    01-29-14 09:47 PM
    microsoft bought nokia because they fear nokia will abandon WP8 to android, while the other vendor only make half asses WP8 phone.

Microsoft need nokia to keep compete in mobile market, while google just need motorola only for the patent.
    Huh? Wha? MS didn't buy Nokia out of any fears. MS bought Nokia because Nokia was struggling to tread water, and the acquisition made building WP devices more cost effective.
    01-29-14 09:50 PM
    Huh? Wha? MS didn't buy Nokia out of any fears. MS bought Nokia because Nokia was struggling to tread water, and the acquisition made building WP devices more cost effective.
    before microsoft buy nokia, Nokia CEO complain microsoft doesnt do enough to make apps / WP8 ecosystem growing...and there are some rumours nokia already build their first android phone. plus the other vendor never comitted to made WP8 Phone that can compete with their own flagship android phone

Microsoft need nokia to survive in mobile market....
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-14 09:55 PM
    So 1.5 billion for airwatch which is 1/5 bes, 3 billion for Motorola, rest of BlackBerry assests free based on current sp price. I think pw was smart enough to reliaZe this.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 09:59 PM
    This paves the way for Foxconn to buy Blackberry's handset business. If Google sees no strategic reason to hang on to the hardware business then there's no reason for Blackberry to if there is a willing buyer who already is making the phones.
    01-29-14 10:19 PM
    Read up on some unbiased objective tech and business news in regards to iPhone. It lays it all out. History tends to repeat itself, and history repeating itself doesn't discriminate.
    01-29-14 10:34 PM
    They bought it for 12.5 billion. (Motorola Mobility) Sold to Arris for 2.35 and Lenovo for 2.9 - Patent worth 7.25 billion
    Was it worth it?
    They also got something like $5.5-6B in tax credits as a result of that purchase, so, really, the patents cost them less than $2B.
    01-29-14 11:42 PM
    Lenovo buys Google's handset business for $2.91B | ZDNet

I guess that "made in America" campaign didn't work out too well.
    I'm an American and wouldn't go near any of the phones made by American companies.

When it comes to phones, I consider myself Canadian Hope that's okay with Canada!
    dalight13, raino, gebco and 1 others like this.
    01-30-14 12:17 AM
    This paves the way for Foxconn to buy Blackberry's handset business. If Google sees no strategic reason to hang on to the hardware business then there's no reason for Blackberry to if there is a willing buyer who already is making the phones.
    Google doesn't need its own hardware business because other businesses are in the business of putting Android on their handsets.

BlackBerry isn't in that position. If manufacturers were lining up to license BlackBerry10, it would be a different story.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-14 12:18 AM
    You're welcome to drop by Toronto any time especially during the polar vortex where the artic wind can freeze our a$$** in a few short minutes! We'll build you an igloo too~!

I'm an American and wouldn't go near any of the phones made by American companies.

When it comes to phones, I consider myself Canadian Hope that's okay with Canada!

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 and dalight13 like this.
    01-30-14 12:21 AM
    They also got something like $5.5-6B in tax credits as a result of that purchase, so, really, the patents cost them less than $2B.
    nice info...i've done quick search so in the end Google paying $3 billion dollars for motorola patent and sell motorola company in parts http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01/...motorola-deal/

in the end i think Google gain a great deal to increase their patent portfolio...3 billion dolllar deal, for patent google value around $5.5 billion , and while they maybe losing some patent dispute but there are many motorola patent can be used for their future project not just android and mobile phone...

besides google desparately need motorola patent, Apple, microsoft already buy nortel patent...

while most canadians maybe consider themselves American, or South korean, when it comes to phone
    SK122387 likes this.
    01-30-14 12:39 AM
    Lenovo is in the cheap computer business. Giving away junk towers and laptops to companies like Telus. For them to use in promotions.

Lenovo was good once upon a time but not in the last 10 years..
    01-30-14 02:38 AM
    Have you bought a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad? It was a TANK. Lenovo Thinkpads...not so much.
    Which is ironic since Lenovo was IBM's contract manufacturer for the Thinkpad line.

Have to agree though, the IBM branded ones were beyond sturdy. I've got two of them in the office I use whenever I travel or go to a rough environment since I know they'll hold up.

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble and milo53 like this.
    01-30-14 05:42 AM
    nice info...i've done quick search so in the end Google paying $3 billion dollars for motorola patent and sell motorola company in parts http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01/...motorola-deal/

in the end i think Google gain a great deal to increase their patent portfolio...3 billion dolllar deal, for patent google value around $5.5 billion , and while they maybe losing some patent dispute but there are many motorola patent can be used for their future project not just android and mobile phone...

besides google desparately need motorola patent, Apple, microsoft already buy nortel patent...

while most canadians maybe consider themselves American, or South korean, when it comes to phone
    except iit is generally agreed that the patent values that were being thrown around even a few years ago were too high Microsoft and Google paid too much for them. As well they loose value pretty quickly. But that article breaks it down well . Looks like Googles loss is in the 2-4 B range not 7-9. Still a lot of cash unless you are Apple or Google!!!!
    01-30-14 07:37 AM
    I don't think Google lost as much as people want to think they did. It seems no one is adding the $3 billon in cash Motorola had when Google bought them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-30-14 07:45 AM
    I am skeptical that Google execs are quite as strategic or forward thinking as all that. I still think the whole Moto affair was a very expensive mistake that they are making the best of.

I heard that much of the Moto patent portfolio is FRAND. Is that true?

One has always heard of how it bites to work with Apple but working with Google (e.g. all non-Samsung vendors) doesn't seem much better.
    myckle likes this.
    01-30-14 08:15 AM
    I heard that much of the Moto patent portfolio is FRAND. Is that true?
    I believe each time they sued (Apple, Microsoft, etc.) they lost. So patents are overvalued and defensive, at best.
    01-30-14 08:28 AM
143 12345 ...