I doubt it. With the acquisition of Motorola, Lenovo's interest in Blackberry should be greatly diminished. Motorola is already a well known and, currently, better performing brand than Blackberry.
    True. But I did enjoy the thought of it for a brief moment. Lenovo is well known for business products so either they will be a device competitor to BlackBerry or an ally. It is not as simple a decision as one thinks. If they rebrand Motorola to Lenovo it could hurt them or they can try for both. I would like to see Moto Droids and Lenovo branded BB10 devices. That would be cool. Just a pipe dream though.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:08 PM
    A company can't survive being an OS provider and a handset maker in the present day. It's the way the industry is going. Apple is going to fall flat on their face and will realise the hard way in a few years or maybe sooner.
    I think it's hard, but doable. The key is to diversify as much as possible.

In this case, Google doesn't have to bear the risk, so why would it? Plus, as noted, Google that it had all the answers with the Nexus One, and it was excruciatingly horrific.
    01-29-14 06:14 PM
    I am still trying to understand what's going on. They were doing so well with moto x and moto g. I mean what the heck...
    Doing so well? How so? They supposedly sold less of those than what BlackBerry even sold BB10 devices. It was never a play to sell a ton of handsets, they just wanted patents -- now they have them. If you mean they did so well as in hype, well.. ya.. they had that. Google has a ton of cash, Motorola was nothing to them really.
    01-29-14 06:15 PM
    Lenovo buys Google's handset business for $2.91B | ZDNet

I guess that "made in America" campaign didn't work out too well.
    They bought it for 12.5 billion. (Motorola Mobility) Sold to Arris for 2.35 and Lenovo for 2.9 - Patent worth 7.25 billion
    Was it worth it?
    01-29-14 06:25 PM
    This is why John Chen is smart in focusing on services within the enterprise and qnx divisions.
    01-29-14 06:26 PM
    Maybe Eric Schmidt wants to be Blackberry fan. This was his way out of supporting Motorola
    01-29-14 06:32 PM
    They bought it for 12.5 billion. (Motorola Mobility) Sold to Arris for 2.35 and Lenovo for 2.9 - Patent worth 7.25 billion
    Was it worth it?
    LOL, I don't think so, but then again, I haven't run any billion dollar businesses recently in the last decade. Or two.

Don't cry for Google though...it can afford it.
    01-29-14 06:37 PM
    Does anyone know How much the moto patents were worth?
    01-29-14 06:38 PM
    I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

CB10 via Verizon Z10. 10.2.1.1925
    01-29-14 06:51 PM
    I'm relatively confident Google had planned to sell it off from the inception, and that there are plans in motion that may or may not surprise us in the not so distant future. They got what they wanted out of it, and I'm relatively confident there are some other aspects to the sale to Lenovo that haven't become known yet. A company as large as Google doesn't just spend $12 Billion on an acquisition then turn around and sell a substantial portion of the acquisition for $3 Billion just to cut dead weight.

Combine this recent event with other not so high profile acquisitions by Google and their partners... I smell a massive patent coalition in the making that may make the "rockstar" coalition look like small potatoes. There's a lot of handshaking going on here that has the potential to rock the mobile industry.
    01-29-14 07:00 PM
    They did well with the thinkpad line after buying it from IBM.
    Have you bought a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad? It was a TANK. Lenovo Thinkpads...not so much.
    undone and milo53 like this.
    01-29-14 07:08 PM
    I'm relatively confident Google had planned to sell it off from the inception, and that there are plans in motion that may or may not surprise us in the not so distant future. They got what they wanted out of it, and I'm relatively confident there are some other aspects to the sale to Lenovo that haven't become known yet. A company as large as Google doesn't just spend $12 Billion on an acquisition then turn around and sell a substantial portion of the acquisition for $3 Billion just to cut dead weight.

Combine this recent event with other not so high profile acquisitions by Google and their partners... I smell a massive patent coalition in the making that may make the "rockstar" coalition look like small potatoes. There's a lot of handshaking going on here that has the potential to rock the mobile industry.
    Rockstar has been on my hand too. I would not be surprised by a coalition at all.
    01-29-14 07:09 PM
    they bought the Motorola part. they are not out of the handset business.
    01-29-14 07:20 PM
    they bought the Motorola part. they are not out of the handset business.
    What other handsets does Google (or a subsidiary) make?
    01-29-14 07:22 PM
    What has BlackBerry been losing the last few years?

It looks like Google lost at least $5B... it took even BlackBerry a year to lose that

Although $5B for Google is like $100B for BlackBerry lol

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:36 PM
    Does anyone know How much the moto patents were worth?
    To be fair to Google, the patents devaluated AFTER Google/Samsung unsuccessfully attempted taking them to court against Microsoft/Apple/etc. Prior to that, the value of the patents were much more speculative.

Have you bought a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad? It was a TANK. Lenovo Thinkpads...not so much.
    Thinkpads also used to cost an arm and a leg.

But, yeah, consumers did lose an excellent OEM with the pullout of IBM. Of course, we still have Sony and Apple.
    01-29-14 07:40 PM
    Something I'd be really interested in seeing would be the reception to Lenovo's Motorola devices in the US government/enterprise circles. Will they be non grata like Huawei and ZTE?
    01-29-14 07:45 PM
    I have a lenovo idea pad. Y410p and LOVE it. I was really hoping they would buy bb, if anyone. I'm glad BlackBerry is still Canadian but if it was gonna leave I was hoping for a lenovo designed bb10 device!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:52 PM
    All this measn is Google can afford a massive loss. I haven;t seen anything about the patents but patents lose value over time as tech passes them buy and competitiotrs fond other solutions and don;t need them. To keep valuable patent portfolio you must keep making new developments which BB still does. Example the Apple Samsung patent wars were all about patents that neither company was still using in hardware. Thus the ban on older Samsung hardware but no effect on SIII or S4 or the new phabs or tabs. The Motorola patents must be pretty stale since Motorola has been on the ropes a long time and I doubt they have posted much new for a long time.

So read into it this much ... they were losing so much that this loss was considered cutting their losses!!
    01-29-14 07:54 PM
    No security issues with Google handsets. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 08:08 PM
    This is sad but I also have this grin because the Google fanboys are always making fun of BlackBerry and have been pronouncing BlackBerry's death for years. Now, what?

Posted via CB10
    OMG! Google's going out of business!?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mobile Nations mobile app
    01-29-14 08:11 PM
    Something I'd be really interested in seeing would be the reception to Lenovo's Motorola devices in the US government/enterprise circles. Will they be non grata like Huawei and ZTE?
    Honestly, I wouldn't expect the US Government to give Lenovo-owned Motorola handsets a warm welcome, lol.

01-29-14 08:13 PM
    To be fair to Google, the patents devaluated AFTER Google/Samsung unsuccessfully attempted taking them to court against Microsoft/Apple/etc. Prior to that, the value of the patents were much more speculative.

Thinkpads also used to cost an arm and a leg.

But, yeah, consumers did lose an excellent OEM with the pullout of IBM. Of course, we still have Sony and Apple.
    Based on that, it's Google's own fault that the patents were devalued in the first place.

01-29-14 08:15 PM
    OMG! Google's going out of business!?
    Quit ruining the enjoyment.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-29-14 08:16 PM
    Patent worth 7.25 billion
    Where did you get this value? Have you been following Googorola's adventures in courtrooms?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-29-14 08:25 PM
143 1234 ...