Lenovo buys Google's handset business for $2.91B | ZDNet

I guess that "made in America" campaign didn't work out too well.
    01-29-14 05:17 PM
    Lenovo buys Google's handset business for $2.91B | ZDNet

I guess that "made in America" campaign didn't work out too well.
    Surprising that with all of Google's money, they can't even get their own phone to be popular or profitable.
    01-29-14 05:23 PM
    Phones are not profitable unless you charge an arm and a leg for them like BlackBerry used to and like how Apple does now. Alternatively, sell LOTS of phones, which Samsung does now.

Google isnt trying to make money by selling phones, they make their money through advertising and their other services. They only wanted Motorola for their patents.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 01-29-14 at 06:46 PM.
    01-29-14 05:26 PM
    Phones are not profitable unless you charge an arm and a leg for them like BlackBerry used to and like how Apple does now. Alternatively, sell LOTS of phones, which Samsung does now.

Google isnt trying to make money by selling phones, they make their money through advertising and their other services. They only wanted Motorola for their parents.

Posted via CB10
    They wanted motorola's parents? Poor kid.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    tryfe, jevinzac, _dimi_ and 6 others like this.
    01-29-14 05:28 PM
    Google isnt trying to make money by selling phones, they make their money through advertising and their other services. They only wanted Motorola for their parents.
    This is the most likely answer. Motorola was probably becoming a hindrance to them because companies like Samsung, etc. would have been worried about using software whose development was basically controlled by a competitor.

By getting out of the hardware business, handset makers are less likely to look for Android alternatives.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-14 05:29 PM
    True, but their pricing of the Motorola X would have really fooled you.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    01-29-14 05:31 PM
    From what was speculated about for a while. Google would retain the patents, and get rid of the rest.

Google found out, the hard way, that hardware is a tough business with the Nexus One. Picking up Motorola (overpaying, IMHO) was never about hardware profitability.

So, we are back to the status quo. Nexus and Google Experience devices will still be available, and Google gets out of hardware, which is best for Android OS.

IMHO
    01-29-14 05:33 PM
    So, we are back to the status quo. Nexus and Google Experience devices will still be available, and Google gets out of hardware, which is best for Android OS.

IMHO
    Google to kill Nexus range in 2015: Report - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Let's see how well the "Google Experience" sells when one has to shell out $500 for it.
    Last edited by raino; 01-29-14 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Google Experience, not Nexus Experience
    southlander likes this.
    01-29-14 05:35 PM
    True, but their pricing of the Motorola X would have really fooled you.
    Yeah. I actually walked into the wireless wave like a boss to buy the MotoX then saw the price. Eff it. For another 150 I can have a z30

Posted Via my second Z10
    01-29-14 05:35 PM
    Surprising that with all of Google's money, they can't even get their own phone to be popular or profitable.
    This is the most likely answer. Motorola was probably becoming a hindrance to them because companies like Samsung, etc. would have been worried about using software whose development was basically controlled by a competitor.

By getting out of the hardware business, handset makers are less likely to look for Android alternatives.
    I truly believe Google couldn't give two flips what the OEMs feel. They (Sammy, really) are going nowhere. They can dabble in the other OSes, but as of right now, Android is the only one that gives OEMs the ecosystem they need. All that Sammy Tizen posturing was empty play action..

I don't think this is good for consumers, but that's how I see it.

I believe that buying Moto was a strategic move. Google failed with the Nexus One, and won't be repeating that experience when it wins by passing on that risk to other entities.
    01-29-14 05:40 PM
    Google to kill Nexus range in 2015: Report - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Let's see how well the "Nexus Experience" sells when one has to shell out $500 for it.
    They article seems to be a bit of conjecture, and bounces between discontinuation and rebranding.

In any case, say it is true and the Nexus line is no more; I think the Google Experience devices are much better. And, in any case, the OEMs still carry all the risk.
    mEntal8y likes this.
    01-29-14 05:44 PM
    In any case, say it is true and the Nexus line is no more; I think the Google Experience devices are much better. And, in any case, the OEMs still carry all the risk.
    But at $500 (and hardware not necessarily spec'd/assembled for the Google Experience) will anybody care?
    01-29-14 05:48 PM
    With Lenovo's interest in BlackBerry maybe we could see Motorola use OS10 instead of Android from now on.

Posted via CB10
    digitalman101 likes this.
    I am still trying to understand what's going on. They were doing so well with moto x and moto g. I mean what the heck...
    With Lenovo's interest in BlackBerry maybe we could see Motorola use OS10 instead of Android from now on.
    Lenovo doesn't exactly have a reputation for maintaining standards when they buy hardware businesses. I would have LOVED BB10 on original Motorola hardware.
    01-29-14 05:52 PM
    This is sad but I also have this grin because the Google fanboys are always making fun of BlackBerry and have been pronouncing BlackBerry's death for years. Now, what?

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and Grumblegrumble like this.
    01-29-14 05:53 PM
    Lenovo doesn't exactly have a reputation for maintaining standards when they buy hardware businesses. I would have LOVED BB10 on original Motorola hardware.
    They did well with the thinkpad line after buying it from IBM.
    01-29-14 05:54 PM
    I am still trying to understand what's going on. They were doing so well with moto x and moto g. I mean what the heck...
    They paid more for NEST than they sold Motorola for. That should tell you something.
    01-29-14 05:56 PM
    I guess that I should have seen this coming with all the price cuts on the Moto X. I was actually impressed with a Motorola product for the first time in over 10 years. Oh well...
    Revampd likes this.
    01-29-14 05:57 PM
    This is sad but I also have this grin because the Google fanboys are always making fun of BlackBerry and have been pronouncing BlackBerry's death for years. Now, what?

Posted via CB10
    Google isn't giving up Android. They are just selling the handset business. Lenovo will be making Android handsets anyways.
    cwalt2166 and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-29-14 05:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I doubt it. With the acquisition of Motorola, Lenovo's interest in Blackberry should be greatly diminished. Motorola is already a well known and, currently, better performing brand than Blackberry.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-14 06:01 PM
    But at $500 (and hardware not necessarily spec'd/assembled for the Google Experience) will anybody care?
    If my assumption is correct that it's the ecosystem that sells devices, yes. I still think Moto and LG might still try to get that low-priced high end device market, and you'll still have the carrier-underwritten discounts.

Posted via CB10
    Doubtful, I think.

All strategy.
    01-29-14 06:01 PM
    A company can't survive being an OS provider and a handset maker in the present day. It's the way the industry is going. Apple is going to fall flat on their face and will realise the hard way in a few years or maybe sooner.
    01-29-14 06:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Enjoy the victory. As long as you see it, that's all that matters.
    01-29-14 06:07 PM
    Well this makes sense. Google got what they wanted. The patent portfolio, they get rid of dead weight, Motorola's hardware division and all the questions of whether or not they would give them preferential treatment over other OEM's.

Lenovo on the other hand gets one of the most recognizable brands out there, don't be surprised if Motorola moves into computers.
    01-29-14 06:07 PM
143 123 ...