Google Faces Huge Forces in Fight Over Android's Future | WIRED

The outcome of this could result in relaxing of restrictions that prevent BlackBerry's Android runtime from using Google Play services, or changes in it that might allow better Android app compatibility one way or another.
    04-27-15 12:21 PM
    I think it's likely that anything that comes out of this that would benefit BlackBerry will happen much too late to matter at this point, unless BB can band together with Microsoft, Amazon, Cyanogen, etc. to form an alternative alliance to offer full alternatives to Google Play Services that might be a viable alternative for Android app developers to also support.
    Bbnivende and bakron1 like this.
    04-27-15 04:13 PM
    Remember when people were crying and complaining that their BlackBerry's were tied to BIS, that the device was not very useful without BIS? Seems it's the same way with android which is hopelessly tied to google, useless without google services.
    04-27-15 06:52 PM
    I think it's likely that anything that comes out of this that would benefit BlackBerry will happen much too late to matter at this point, unless BB can band together with Microsoft, Amazon, Cyanogen, etc. to form an alternative alliance to offer full alternatives to Google Play Services that might be a viable alternative for Android app developers to also support.
    I would like to see that. It would need to heavily involve Microsoft as they're poised to gain ground with the upcoming unification of Windows 10 applications.

Why are BlackBerry and Microsoft not talking??
    Last edited by birdman_38; 04-27-15 at 08:46 PM.
    Bbnivende and LuvULongTime like this.
    04-27-15 08:10 PM
    I would like to see that. It would need to heavily involve Microsoft as they're poised to gain ground with the upcoming unification of Windows 10 applications.

Why are BlackBerry and Microsoft not talking??

I suspect Microsoft is only in it to provide their services. Microsoft is becoming a Services company now and would rather have them on a service plan like office than lose out with ecosystem wars.
    04-28-15 10:20 AM
    I suspect Microsoft is only in it to provide their services. Microsoft is becoming a Services company now and would rather have them on a service plan like office than lose out with ecosystem wars.
    Primarily a services company. They still have their Surface and Lumia lines. But you're right. That's why they're allowing Win7 and up users to upgrade to Win10 for free.
    04-28-15 10:30 AM
    Primarily a services company. They still have their Surface and Lumia lines. But you're right. That's why they're allowing Win7 and up users to upgrade to Win10 for free.

I suspect we will see if they will do any big plays in android at BUILD later this week. What I'm surprised about is MS not getting BB on board with some of their services. I think it could be a good partnership for them both.
    04-28-15 10:33 AM
    I suspect we will see if they will do any big plays in android at BUILD later this week. What I'm surprised about is MS not getting BB on board with some of their services. I think it could be a good partnership for them both.
    Microsoft already has its services on Android and iOS as well as their own WP8.1. So they are covering 99% of he market. What exactly would they gain from getting their services on BB10?
    04-29-15 03:59 AM
    Microsoft already has its services on Android and iOS as well as their own WP8.1. So they are covering 99% of he market. What exactly would they gain from getting their services on BB10?

Microsoft has been all about business and they have been attacking it with their WP's though BlackBerry still holds a percentage of it and they really want to dominate business services and software. I agree its not much of an error but an opportunity for MS to cover all bases.
    04-29-15 04:02 AM