Well it's going to work on me I guess.. my BB10 phone won't be available until after the cut off date, and I will not accept a 5 minute delay on my email, so I guess I'll be bumping my google apps account up to the paid version. I like google apps, and unlike some I don't feel they owe me anything, the service is worth the 5 bucks a month.
    Well, I don't know if it matters to you, but if you get the paid version, your Gmail account gets bumped up to 25GB.
    01-01-13 06:49 PM
    why using gmail??
    01-01-13 08:20 PM
    Well, I don't know if it matters to you, but if you get the paid version, your Gmail account gets bumped up to 25GB.
    25GB is a lot of email lol.. can't say that's something that factors into my decision, but I'll take it!

why using gmail??
    ummm.. because it's the best email service on the planet?
    01-01-13 10:09 PM
    The irony. I used to pay for AOL email back when that was the only thing reliable internationally. Then hotmail and gmail came out for free so AOL had to go to free. On my 9800 I get instant push on gmail currently. Company MS exchange is delayed. Will have to test AOL and outlook.com. Come back for AOL because of this?
    01-01-13 11:22 PM
    Is there a paid version of gmail for the average consumer? I have only been able to find the business, education, or government applications. I would pay $50.00 a year to use these quality services. Especially if I can keep my existing email address. I don't want to switch to [email protected]. If somebody knows please post the link.
    Thanks
    01-02-13 06:01 AM
    25GB is a lot of email lol.. can't say that's something that factors into my decision, but I'll take it!

ummm.. because it's the best email service on the planet?
    It's also the least private email service on the planet.
    Villain likes this.
    01-02-13 07:50 AM
    It's also the least private email service on the planet.
    Define privacy within this context, keeping in mind that the paid Gmail service is ad-free.
    01-02-13 12:42 PM
    Define privacy within this context, keeping in mind that the paid Gmail service is ad-free.
    Is it data mining free though?
    01-02-13 01:05 PM
    Yes.
    01-02-13 01:45 PM
    Yes.
    Are you sure? Does Google say that anywhere?
    01-02-13 03:03 PM
    Are you sure? Does Google say that anywhere?
    Google doesn't come out and say "no data mining" because they don't want to associate what they do with such a negatively loaded term, but it's quite easy to find alternative sources that speak to the lack of data mining on Google Apps for Business/Education.

Email and Calendar Centralization - Things You Should Know About Gmail - University of Alberta
    Email & Collaboration Tools Consultation | Ryerson Community Consultation
    NYU > ITS > Communicate & Collaborate > NYU Google Apps

This is for the core services included with Google Apps, going elsewhere (Google+, Youtube, etc) will still have ads as it isn't part of their paid package.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-02-13 04:20 PM
    Is there a paid version of gmail for the average consumer? I have only been able to find the business, education, or government applications. I would pay $50.00 a year to use these quality services. Especially if I can keep my existing email address. I don't want to switch to [email protected]. If somebody knows please post the link.
    Thanks
    No way to do it without a domain name as far as I'm aware, but it doesn't have to be a business adress.. you could you could register your name, [email protected] or anything under the sun that suits your fancy.. one big benefit to this in my opinion is you own the domain forever and a day (as long as you keep paying the 10 bucks a year of course) so in the future if there's a need to change providers for whatever reason, you take the address with you.. for example, [email protected] gets his email through google apps, but google apps ups the price or changes something.. he decides to switch to outlook.com.. his email address is still [email protected] and he doesn't miss a beat.. if his email address was [email protected] and he wanted to switch.. that address is gone, his can now get [email protected], but that won't help him get messages sent to the gmail address.

Google doesn't come out and say "no data mining" because they don't want to associate what they do with such a negatively loaded term, but it's quite easy to find alternative sources that speak to the lack of data mining on Google Apps for Business/Education.

Email and Calendar Centralization - Things You Should Know About Gmail - University of Alberta
    Email & Collaboration Tools Consultation | Ryerson Community Consultation
    NYU > ITS > Communicate & Collaborate > NYU Google Apps

This is for the core services included with Google Apps, going elsewhere (Google+, Youtube, etc) will still have ads as it isn't part of their paid package.
    As was said above yes I believe the google apps is data mining free, but I honestly couldn't care less.. being that i'll be paying for it, I suppose it's good that they don't, but for all the free services that they offer I am happy to let them mine whatever they want.. it's all statistics and algorithms looking for keywords and patters, it's not like someone is sitting there reading your emails in context and invading your privacy..
    anon(4018671), Roo Zilla and fire6 like this.
    01-02-13 06:04 PM
    I think the situation will change. The set of iOS users who use Gmail is pretty large. They'll probably implement something similar to how Yahoo mail works on iOS. Then again, maybe they won't.
    iOS users will be able to get push e-mail if they drop Apple's Mail app for Google's Gmail app.
    01-03-13 03:39 AM
    iOS users will be able to get push e-mail if they drop Apple's Mail app for Google's Gmail app.
    Hmmmm, all of the sudden RIM's push email is becoming a strong point again.
    01-03-13 04:47 AM
    Hmmmm, all of the sudden RIM's push email is becoming a strong point again.
    Wouldn't it be the reverse? Gmail app on iOS gives push Gmail. No push Gmail on BB. In the end it probably doesn't even matter. Email is no longer the primary driving force behind smartphone sales, and in the places with the largest growth, it's barely a factor.
    01-03-13 06:35 AM
    Wouldn't it be the reverse? Gmail app on iOS gives push Gmail. No push Gmail on BB. In the end it probably doesn't even matter. Email is no longer the primary driving force behind smartphone sales, and in the places with the largest growth, it's barely a factor.
    You mean instant push, all emails on BB are push, even POP3.
    If Gmail IMAP will sopport IMAP Idle emails will be instant on BB, my own hosted email accounts are, no exchange needed.
    01-03-13 06:55 AM
    You mean instant push, all emails on BB are push, even POP3.
    If Gmail IMAP will sopport IMAP Idle emails will be instant on BB, my own hosted email accounts are, no exchange needed.
    You are talking about legacy BB's now.. BB10 and the Playbook do not use BIS, come January 30th new devices will only be able to connect to GMAIL's IMAP, introducing a 5 minute polling delay.

... In the end it probably doesn't even matter. Email is no longer the primary driving force behind smartphone sales, and in the places with the largest growth, it's barely a factor.
    While I acknowledge you're point, most consumers won't mind (or maybe notice is more accurate) a 5 minute delay. As a business user, I and many others would find it in acceptable. Everything I do needs a paper trail, so most things are done by email.. sometimes a back and forth email conversation can go on for an hour with a message every few seconds.. I need it to be instant! Which again is why i'm fine with upgrading to the paid service.
    01-03-13 07:37 AM
    As a business user, I and many others would find it in acceptable. Everything I do needs a paper trail, so most things are done by email.. sometimes a back and forth email conversation can go on for an hour with a message every few seconds.. I need it to be instant! Which again is why i'm fine with upgrading to the paid service.
    Will there be a manual refresh option for the sort of situation that you describe? Personally, I don't need email to be instant, and wouldn't care about a 5 minute, or even 15 minute, delay. But if there were an option to force the device to poll for mail, that would be good enough for the occasions where I need the sort of email conversation that you describe.
    01-03-13 08:47 AM
    You are talking about legacy BB's now.. BB10 and the Playbook do not use BIS, come January 30th new devices will only be able to connect to GMAIL's IMAP, introducing a 5 minute polling delay.
    Since when has IMAP IDLE been a 5 minute delay? My IMAP IDLE accounts are always instantaneous.
    01-03-13 11:49 AM
    I suspect they are doing this for EAS Customers who use Outlook.

Outlook 2013 introduced an ActiveSync connector which, one can assume will replace the Google Apps Sync plugin that they currently have to develop. If they go that route, they need to stop non EAS customers from using it. This seems like the most logical way to do it.
    01-03-13 12:22 PM
    Since when has IMAP IDLE been a 5 minute delay? My IMAP IDLE accounts are always instantaneous.
    No, I was referencing IMAP as a 5 minute delay, not IMAP IDLE. I was under the impression for one reason or another that either GMAIL or playbook/BB10 didn't support the IDLE protocol, which I asked for confirmation of on page 1 of this thread, and received. But I just did a little research and it appears that is incorrect, both GMAIL, and playbook/BB10 do support IMAP IDLE so there shouldn't be a problem at all.. seems this has all be blown out of proportion.. the only poor souls who should be affected are ios users who's devices don't support the IDLE protocol and Windows phone users who's devices don't support calDAV and CardDAV..
    BBOttawa likes this.
    01-03-13 01:44 PM
    No, I was referencing IMAP as a 5 minute delay, not IMAP IDLE. I was under the impression for one reason or another that either GMAIL or playbook/BB10 didn't support the IDLE protocol, which I asked for confirmation of on page 1 of this thread, and received. But I just did a little research and it appears that is incorrect, both GMAIL, and playbook/BB10 do support IMAP IDLE so there shouldn't be a problem at all.. seems this has all be blown out of proportion.. the only poor souls who should be affected are ios users who's devices don't support the IDLE protocol and Windows phone users who's devices don't support calDAV and CardDAV..
    It is not blown out of proportion for WP8 users or iOS where IDLE may not be supported as well as calendar and contact sync on WP.
    01-03-13 06:15 PM
    We've all seen photos of BB10 with the BIS dots next to the reception bars, so as long as you stay with a BIS plan for your BB10, I'd assume you have nothing to worry about if you're set up already. Your email accounts are all hooked to your BlackBerry ID so nothing should change between Google and RIM's servers, just between RIM and you. I'm guessing this will be a non-issue for BB users but a huge deal for WP8 users. Lends a bit of credence to MS's claims that Google is stock-blocking them. No stock YouTube app, no stock gMail support... I'm sure the list will get bigger.
    01-03-13 09:59 PM
    ... Lends a bit of credence to MS's claims that Google is stock-blocking them. No stock YouTube app, no stock gMail support... I'm sure the list will get bigger.
    I don't know if I share your views on this.. In my opinion google has the right to do whatever it wants with it's email service, and people can use it or not use it.. they don't owe anybody anything. That said, they aren't blocking wp8 users from accessing the service, they are choosing to go a route the doesn't require them paying microsoft for the pleasure of serviving it's customers. Micosoft has every option to add the open calDAV and CardDAV protocols to its platform, but they choose not to over fear EAS will loose relevance and as such be a loss of revenue for them..
    01-03-13 10:40 PM
49 12