*Intentionally misplaced to raise thread awareness and open the discussion.*

Excerpts from the 3 sources at the bottom.

Google has assembled all the pieces it needs to be a mobile provider like Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.
    If you look at Google Inc.’s (GOOG 598.86, -2.14, -0.36%) actions over the last few years, it’s more than apparent that it can go into the carrier business in one way or another. Let’s look at the evidence:

1. WiFi initiative. First of all, the search giant already has toyed with modern networking as it established WiFi networks around California to play with connectivity. Looking back on this initiative, it can now be seen as an early test of an idea, or part of a bigger idea.

2. Fiber initiative. Then Google began to fool around with the notion of fiber with an eye on installing fiber or lighting up dark fiber. Cities were encouraged to take part in the great experiment with a national competition for getting free Google fiber.

3. Google Voice rollout. The company bought Grand Central and established Google Voice as a phone alternative. In the process, it took over some phone exchanges to provide users with real phone numbers.

4. GoogleTalk. This is on the heels of the G-talk initiative that began a few years back, where the company developed a Skype-like phone client for more connectivity.

5. Phone operating systems and phones. We cannot leave out the Android OS, which is licensed to everyone and the fact that Google itself has developed a mobile device, the Nexus.

6. Networking guru. Finally, Google has hired the network-development superstar Milo Medin as a vice president to oversee much of this.
    Of course, these threats will be used as the rationale in the antitrust case that will surely evolve around the scheme that has to come to an end point soon, with Google buying out one of the bigger networks. Sprint Nextel Corp. (S 4.19, +0.03, +0.72%) comes to mind.

Sprint’s market cap is just more than $12 billion. Google can easily afford to buy the company at a premium and establish itself as a highly integrated, triple-play telecom provider offering just about everything.

This ploy explains away a lot of what Google has been doing on the side over the past few years. Buying Sprint would close the book. Can you hear me now?
    Would Google really be willing to give up its strong relationships with the carriers, most notably Verizon -- the largest network -- to go head-to-head with them in the wireless space?

We asked. Google declined to comment.

It's not likely in the immediate future. Google's Android is the hottest item in the mobile market, and the company relies on carriers to adopt its software and drive customers to its search site.

But it's a real possibility down the road. The Federal Communications Commission recently failed to enact strong Net neutrality rules for the wireless community. That leaves open the option for carriers to restrict their subscribers' access to some of Google's offerings.

Google warned of that risk in a recent SEC filing: "Some of these providers have stated that they may take measures that could degrade, disrupt, or increase the cost of user access to certain of our products by restricting or prohibiting the use of their infrastructure."
    Google could compete head-on with Verizon, AT&T - Dec. 30, 2010

Faster Forward - Will Google compete with Verizon, AT&T in mobile market?

Google to Sprint into the carrier business John Dvorak's Second Opinion - MarketWatch
    12-30-10 07:03 PM
    The FCC and FTC will not allow this I bet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 07:15 PM
    I wouldn't trust them as a provider after seeing how they handled the Nexus One. They would also need to get their own corporate stores for many people to consider them. I don't doubt this would happen but I'd be a little surprised if it did. If this lead to them making Android themselves (without manufacturer skins), Android would be much better than it is now. Vanilla Android OS, fast updates, much less (or little to any) fragmentation...

12-30-10 07:43 PM
    I wouldn't trust them as a provider after seeing how they handled the Nexus One. They would also need to get their own corporate stores for many people to consider them. I don't doubt this would happen but I'd be a little surprised if it did. If this lead to them making Android themselves (without manufacturer skins), Android would be much better than it is now. Vanilla Android OS, fast updates, much less (or little to any) fragmentation...

Explain.

I can haz 10 char?
    12-30-10 07:53 PM
    Explain.

I can haz 10 char?
    Pretty much all of the horror stories I heard about concerning their customer service. I'm not saying they would be a bad carrier; I just don't know of I would switch to them. Then again, I have no plans to switch back out of T-Mobile. They've been so good to me and I have good device with them all around my area.

12-30-10 08:05 PM
    Google would become the M$ of telecom,with anti-trust agencies watching their every move.the E.U. Will sue to keep it from happening.

12-30-10 08:39 PM
    They aren't going to compete with VZW. At least not by buying Sprint. Just my thoughts anyway.
    12-30-10 09:07 PM
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. They like to have their hands in everything.
    12-30-10 09:49 PM
    Noway the justice department will go along with it.can you imagine their plans?

12-31-10 03:35 PM
    Lol I can imagine the Google TV built-in to the Sony 46" TV being in a contract for cable.

12-31-10 04:06 PM
    Pretty much all of the horror stories I heard about concerning their customer service. I'm not saying they would be a bad carrier; I just don't know of I would switch to them. Then again, I have no plans to switch back out of T-Mobile. They've been so good to me and I have good device with them all around my area.

That was a device. I highly doubt they would handle a wireless network that way.

With that said, I will still stay with VZW. Unless Google offered extremely good coverage, but I doubt the government would allow this to happen anyways.
    12-31-10 04:09 PM
    That was a device. I highly doubt they would handle a wireless network that way.

With that said, I will still stay with VZW. Unless Google offered extremely good coverage, but I doubt the government would allow this to happen anyways.
    if it happens,google will be spit into 3 entities:wireless,advertising and software.

12-31-10 04:53 PM
    if it happens,google will be spit into 3 entities:wireless,advertising and software.

Exactly. They wont remain one.
    12-31-10 04:57 PM
    Google has definitely set themselves up to become SkyNet and they would know everything about you.
    12-31-10 07:36 PM
    I think Google is only interested in Internet advertising and that's where the profit is for them. Even though they have a software division that makes Android OS, they aren't making money on licensing the OS but it's how they integrate their search engine into the OS is what's driving 95% of their profit.

Currently they have an invested interested in Clearwire but it's not to be positioned to become a Wireless provider. I think they are more interested in understanding the technology and how they can expend their internet advertising into the wireless data industry.
    01-01-11 09:01 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they created a cellular company - I probably wouldn't switch, but hopefully it'd drive prices down.
    01-01-11 02:23 PM
    This would be interesting to see Google as a carrier.
    01-02-11 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD