I really hope QNX step up their game. The normal consumer isn't aware what QNX is but will only recognise Android or iOS, because they are branded this way.

Google and Audi plot new front in Android vs. iOS war | The Verge

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 03:30 AM
    For those of us who don't know, can someone explain if this infotainment system will run on top of QNX?

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    12-30-13 03:42 AM
    The reason this is a big deal is because VW (including Audi) is one of the largest QNX automobile customers, and one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the world. (Trying to beat Toyota and GM to #1)

Sounds like potentially a big threat to QNX if you ask me.
    12-30-13 03:47 AM
    So, are they basically ditching QNX in favour of Android? I don't understand. If QNX is the underlying OS as many people say, why not continue QNX all the way.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:57 AM
    Adds on the dashboard. Brilliant.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-30-13 07:30 AM
    Can't wait to root an Audi and put a throttle logger in it.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    12-30-13 08:24 AM
    I just wish a company would just have a screen that I can airplay mirror or chromecast my phone to. However this solution maybe suit my needs better than current iterations

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    12-30-13 08:30 AM
    For those of us who don't know, can someone explain if this infotainment system will run on top of QNX?

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    Not sure, but it sounds like it will run by it's self, not on top of QNX like Apple's system.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 09:44 AM
    So, are they basically ditching QNX in favour of Android? I don't understand. If QNX is the underlying OS as many people say, why not continue QNX all the way.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like they are ditching qnx

Where Apple's platform integrates the iPhone into the car's infotainment system*to provide access to maps, messages, and other apps, Google and Audi's joint efforts will see Android and Android-based apps run on the car's own hardware.
    12-30-13 09:53 AM
    It's not a game changer yet Google software is not the most secure OR for vehicles, if it is the same as the OS on start phones. Image you car stops running in the middle of the freeway because of malware. That is why no mention of how the will implement their OS in cars. My thought is QNX will be involved in the process.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:09 AM
    Sounds like they are ditching qnx
    I was going to quote the same body of text, but from my understanding, QNX is integrated into a lot more of the car's electrical system than just the infotainment console and whatnot. Granted, with the customization available on the Android platform, they could probably very easily create modules to manage things like fuel level, tire pressure, diagnostics, etc., but I think it'd be a lot more involved than what the article implies.

Interesting thought: what if it's QNX's inherent ability to support a virtual environment for the "Android Player" that Google would use to exploit QNX already running on these cars? I doubt that's the case since it'd certainly invite a lawsuit from BlackBerry, but it would interesting nonetheless. Basically use BlackBerry's backdoor to promote their own software.

OR

What if this is just a glimpse of what Google and BlackBerry have planned behind closed doors? There were rumors around the time they replaced Mr. Heins a few months back that the two were working on an agreement. Perhaps this is the first of many partnered software offerings from the two companies working in concert? (Can you imagine the stability and of QNX/BB10 doing the heavy-lifting behind the scenes with all of Google's software offerings on top running the show, so to speak? )

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:11 AM
    Such an awful, awful shame
    12-30-13 12:14 PM
    At the risk of being wrong, I think people are jumping the gun just a tad bit on this info.... after all - New Version of QNX CAR Platform Expands Design Choices to Include Android Apps and Qt User Interfaces. QNX with Android integration and Android as a stand alone in other areas isn't far fetched.
    12-30-13 12:20 PM
    Seems everyone beats or best bbry on everything.
    12-30-13 12:22 PM
    At the risk of being wrong, I think people are jumping the gun just a tad bit on this info.... after all - New Version of QNX CAR Platform Expands Design Choices to Include Android Apps and Qt User Interfaces. QNX with Android integration and Android as a stand alone in other areas isn't far fetched.
    Basically what I was suggesting, but more involved given recent developments. I guess we'll find out what this is all about next month though.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 01:13 PM
    Well, automakers still want to personalize their infotainment system. Why would Audi want their system to be the same as BMW or Hyundai for that matter? Partnerships with Android, iOS, or BlackBerry could be much more about content.

Last year was all about connected cars either LTE connectivity. Fine, but where does the content come from?

The containerization that QNX has is similar to BlackBerry Balance in many ways. A separation of apps from the rest of the system.

I wonder, actually, the risks to Tom Tom and other navigation systems. If google maps or Apple maps become available, what happens to them?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 07:48 PM
    I was going to quote the same body of text, but from my understanding, QNX is integrated into a lot more of the car's electrical system than just the infotainment console and whatnot. Granted, with the customization available on the Android platform, they could probably very easily create modules to manage things like fuel level, tire pressure, diagnostics, etc., but I think it'd be a lot more involved than what the article implies.

I would guess that the infotainment system is completely separated from and has no dependencies one way or the other on the rest of the engine management and other embedded data processing in the car.

To design a car any other way would be really stupid, from a safety standpoint if nothing else.

("As soon as I put KMFDM on, turned the volume up to Nine and activated the Maps feature, all the brakes stopped working and the engine cut out...")

Not good.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-30-13 10:20 PM
    I would guess that the infotainment system is completely separated from and has no dependencies one way or the other on the rest of the engine management and other embedded data processing in the car.

To design a car any other way would be really stupid, from a safety standpoint if nothing else.

("As soon as I put KMFDM on, turned the volume up to Nine and activated the Maps feature, all the brakes stopped working and the engine cut out...")

Not good.
    Lol, that's true I guess. But, don't current systems that utilize QNX have that level of integration? I understand that you're saying that the two systems are kept in isolation and only interact/communicate as needed, but I would assume that this would pose an additional level of development for Google to allow their infotainment system to communicate with the car's inherent electrical system.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:13 PM
    Lol, that's true I guess. But, don't current systems that utilize QNX have that level of integration? I understand that you're saying that the two systems are kept in isolation and only interact/communicate as needed, but I would assume that this would pose an additional level of development for Google to allow their infotainment system to communicate with the car's inherent electrical system.

I am sure there are sensor inputs available to the infotainment system, no differently than a gauge sender is connected to a traditional dashboard gauge.

But just like tapping on the water temp gauge in the dashboard is extremely unlikely to affect your throttle linkage or your master cylinder, I think that there are probably industry standards about isolation of various unrelated cockpit functions from engine/running-gear functions. Things like Engine Control Units - which may well be running QNX (the classic, tiny QNX) inside, are probably sitting in isolated, autonomous boxes which at the very most may have an isolated sensor pod of some kind that can provide info like RPM or MPG etc to the cockpit, and that is all.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-30-13 11:55 PM
    I just wish a company would just have a screen that I can airplay mirror or chromecast my phone to. However this solution maybe suit my needs better than current iterations

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    That's actually the approach apple is taking.
    12-31-13 08:34 AM
    Google launches the Android-based Open Automotive Alliance with Audi, Honda, GM, and more

Google launches the Android-based Open Automotive Alliance with Audi, Honda, GM, and more | The Verge

Wheres QNX??
    01-06-14 05:19 AM
    Ohhh knoooowww, qnx dead then

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:07 AM
    Google launches the Android-based Open Automotive Alliance with Audi, Honda, GM, and more

Google launches the Android-based Open Automotive Alliance with Audi, Honda, GM, and more | The Verge

Wheres QNX??
    Time for John to trot out some reassuring fluff statement about how many nuclear power plants are still using QNX and that cars are for consumers and BB is all about enterprise.

Amazing how BB continues to miss easy PR opportunities. We have been hearing about Apple's and Google's plans to enter the car infotainment system for almost a year. Not only is QNX not announcing new products or partnerships, they are as yet, nowhere to be seen at CES, the world's biggest tech trade show.

Sent from Galaxy Mega 6.3 using Tapatalk
    01-06-14 07:12 AM
    A big ugly Google search bar coming to a dashboard near you!

It makes sense for Google. They can track you better and sell your driving habits to insurance companies. Display ads from local retailers..

Yey free software!!

[profit sharing ad dollars with car companies is a good incentive for Honda and GM.]

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 07:34 AM