Got a new 8330 from Sprint (came with os v. 4.5.0.131). Loaded up Google maps 3.0.2. When I run Google maps and choose my location it's using cell triangulation only. I sat outside and it never said anything out searching for satellites. In the options menu there is a setting at the bottom called "bluetooth gps"

Is the bluetooth GPS option supposed to be in the menu even if a local gps is detected?

Is there a way to tell if Google maps is trying to use the internal GPS?

Should there be another menu option if an internal GPS is detected?

I have verified that security settings allow Google maps to use the internal GPS. The GPS is set to internal device and set to location on. If I run bbmaps or gpsed they lock sats in just a few seconds.

I also tried to load Google maps version 2.2.0 and 2.3.2 with no luck.

Does anyone have Google maps working with GPS and this same os? Any suggestions for making it work?

Thanks
    03-28-09 11:15 PM
    i have the same exact settings, gmaps 2.3.2 and .131. it works fine.. try a battery pull.. see if that helps.
    03-28-09 11:19 PM
    battery pull: device on, pull the batt out, wait 30 secs.. put it back in.
    03-28-09 11:20 PM
    Is there any way to tell Google is trying to use the internal GPS other than the location size
    03-29-09 12:45 AM
    if your settings are such it should automatically find a gps signal.. this might sound weird, but can you go outside? sometimes when im indoors, gps's have trouble finding me.
    03-29-09 12:50 AM
    We are forgetting the obvious. It's a new phone. Have you tried it with BBmaps or Sprint Navigator to check that you can even get a signal yet?

You can try my guide here and it should help.

Google maps will first find cell tower triangulation then lock onto GPS. Just select Menu > My Location. If it never does a GPS lock, something is wrong.
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 03-29-09 at 01:06 AM.
    03-29-09 12:58 AM
    also try going to options>status while in the status screen, type the word "test" toggle down to gps and follow the prompts to test the gps. see what it tells you.
    03-29-09 01:01 AM
    I have GM working dead-on with my Sprint 8330, 4.5.131, no problems. I've run all 3 recent versions without flaw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 01:01 AM
    I have run bbmaps and gpsed. They both work great and fast.
    03-29-09 01:09 AM
    Have you tried to run BBmaps or gpsed then gmaps and see if you get a lock that way? As a kind of assist to gmaps to get the initial lock?

Sidenote: I dislike gmaps, my location jumps everywhere near my location with a lock while bbmaps actually has it stay put =P

I have a guide up (link in sig) that is a fix for any gps problems. Yours doesn't sound like it needs it since you have bbmaps and gpsed working. However, you could try it.
    03-29-09 01:16 AM
    Have you tried to run BBmaps or gpsed then gmaps and see if you get a lock that way? As a kind of assist to gmaps to get the initial lock?

Sidenote: I dislike gmaps, my location jumps everywhere near my location with a lock while bbmaps actually has it stay put =P

I have a guide up (link in sig) that is a fix for any gps problems. Yours doesn't sound like it needs it since you have bbmaps and gpsed working. However, you could try it.
    and by the way, that post is extremely insightful and useful. ill keep that LINK close, good job man!
    03-29-09 01:19 AM
    Thanks. I was killing myself trying to fix my gps. My friend had one before me from last year and I fixed his but couldn't remember. So I get mine this week for free as a comparable replacement for an LG Rhythm. It works, doesn't, does, doesn't, I searched desperately at 2am. The guide I mention in my guide isn't exactly as detailed and informative as it should be and I finished around 4am. Jump for joy. GPS inside, less than 10 secs, any program I throw at it. I plan to go to sleep, can't, now it's 7am and I have that rough version of a guide you see before you. Hopefully over time, with more users contributing, it will become the ultimate GPS fixing solution =P

I actually updated it with some new addresses and apparently AT&Ts IP address. I initially thought it was only for CDMA phones but I am not sure. Don't have my hands on alot of blackberrys so I leave it to the users at crackberry to help fill in the gaps ^_^
    03-29-09 01:24 AM
    yes I have run gpsed and or bbmaps and while they are still running and locked have started google maps, nothing.

Did the battery reset procedure

I ran the test from the status screen. GPS got a lock in ~4000ms.

I installed live search. It got a lock right away.

Tried google maps again no luck. Launched google maps and waited for 2-3 minutes. Never got any better than 1900m.

Frustrating. I like google maps but this is really dumb...
    03-29-09 01:35 AM
    man, i have no idea.. i would just delete it from the dm and try dl'ing it again.
    03-29-09 01:47 AM
    when you are dl'ing it do you click on "set permissions"?
    03-29-09 01:49 AM
    man, i have no idea.. i would just delete it from the dm and try dl'ing it again.
    between the different version testing I have done that many many time. Guess I'll have to leave it for now and see if it just magically starts working one day. I might try the gps fix mentioned above but its a work phone and I don't want to risk messing it up.

Everything I throw at it works great with the gps ...... except google maps.
    03-29-09 01:50 AM
    Did you install it OTA or through DM? Uninstall and try it the opposite way.

Stupid question, how long did you wait after "Menu > My Location" before giving up?

Another stupid question, did you change all the permissions to Allow?

The fix listed in my guide merely applies some network settings. You can always backup existing gpsOne network settings (if any) and reapply them if you have issues. It makes no other changes to the phone whatsoever. Most of the guide is reading the information off the phone to be able to write that one piece of information =P

Sidenote: Updated my guide a bit, starting to add pictures =P
    03-29-09 01:53 AM
    when you are dl'ing it do you click on "set permissions"?
    I did not set permissions at the time of install, however I choose to make it a trusted application and verified in the options>advanced>applications area that it was allowed to access the GPS.

I even denyed access then allowed it again to see if that would trigger anything.
    03-29-09 02:00 AM
    Did you install it OTA or through DM? Uninstall and try it the opposite way.

Stupid question, how long did you wait after "Menu > My Location" before giving up?

Another stupid question, did you change all the permissions to Allow?

The fix listed in my guide merely applies some network settings. You can always backup existing gpsOne network settings (if any) and reapply them if you have issues. It makes no other changes to the phone whatsoever. Most of the guide is reading the information off the phone to be able to write that one piece of information =P

Sidenote: Updated my guide a bit, starting to add pictures =P
    Permissions are set to allow
    I waited 2-3 minutes after Menu>My Location

The most annoying part it I can't tell if its even trying. On the Windows mobile version of google maps there are settings that allow you to tell if google has picked up on the local gps. Why couldn't they do a start/stop gps function like live search so you can at least tell whats going on.

Thanks for all your help
    03-29-09 02:02 AM
    BTW Thank you for all of your help, this forum is crack...
    03-29-09 02:03 AM
    I actually thing an older version of gmaps did that. Have you tried an older version in the 2.x releases?

On mine, when I hit My Location, when indoors or before my fix, it would get cell triangulation and say at the bottom "Location within xxxx meters. Waiting for GPS."

Then it would either lock or time out (I think)

Hey! I don't get thanks? I'm the newbie with a 3 day old blackberry and apparently king of GPS fixing here* =P

*Not a beg, check post 25 =P. Weird how we edit and backpost and the other users aren't notified. Hidden message searching is the future of these forums?
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 03-29-09 at 02:12 AM.
    03-29-09 02:04 AM
    let us know if you figure out what the he** is wrong with it.. good luck!
    03-29-09 02:06 AM
    check post 19
    its not polite to beg
    03-29-09 02:07 AM
    I actually thing an older version of gmaps did that. Have you tried an older version in the 2.x releases?

On mine, when I hit My Location, when indoors or before my fix, it would get cell triangulation and say at the bottom "Location within xxxx meters. Waiting for GPS."

Then it would either lock or time out (I think)

Hey! I don't get thanks? I'm the newbie with a 3 day old blackberry and apparently king of GPS fixing here =P
    I did say thanks, just included it as part of another post...

My just says location within xxx meters. No mention of GPS. I have tried versions 2.0.2/2.3.2/3.0.2 all seem to have the same menu and options (except for new functions in the newer versions).
    03-29-09 02:08 AM
    Lol. Once again, I am on crackberry in the midst of the night but tonight I am sick as well .

Note my joking emoticon though too =P Just passed over your thanks I guess. Maybe cause it wasn't specifically to me, my ego didn't recognize it

How close is your meters? If its 100 or less, you may have a gps lock. Cell triangulation for me is always 4 digits. GPS lock I've had anywhere from 0 meters, 10, 30, 80, 100.

Check post 21 to tell you to check post 25

Did you turn on Latitude? If not, try it? Who knows.

Sidenote: Can latitude be used to track your phone personally. Something like smrtguard? I like smrtguard but don't like it constantly running or have to remember to turn on tracking. Would prefer something like Latitude to have a private view option that auto runs when I start gmaps.
    Last edited by TheHeartlessHero; 03-29-09 at 02:15 AM.
    03-29-09 02:10 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD