I may be saying goodbye to the Blackberry world. This morning my 8350i did a total data dump for the second time. The last time I needed a replacement, and this time BBSAK can't do a thing for it so I probably need another replacement. All I was doing was updating the OS. The bugs in my 8350i are such a pain in the **** that I'm ready to just give up the push-to-talk and say goodbye for good.
    My options are to just go to the Android with 4G coming out on Friday, or stick with Blackberry and get a Bold 9650. But I'm not sure if the Bold is any better.
    Any non-bias opinions on the Bold? Will I do better with it than with the Curve 8350i?
    This sucks.
    06-02-10 08:20 AM
    The 9650 is night and day with the 8350 lol... Why dont you go to a store and check it out.
    06-02-10 08:28 AM
    Any non-bias opinions on the Bold? Will I do better with it than with the Curve 8350i?
    The difference between the two models is HUGE. I don't even think that it's a fair comparison to put the two together. The 9650 is far better than the 8350i in just about every aspect. Larger, clearer screen, better camera, faster processor, more memory, larger size, trackpad, 3G, OS6 compatable. If you like how the BB works, and you are wanting to stay with Sprint, get the Bold...
    06-02-10 08:32 AM
    Any CDMA (Sprint) device will be better for data than any iDEN (Nextel) device. Comparing CDMA and iDEN is like comparing dial-up Internet to broadband Internet. The iDEN network is slooww.
    06-02-10 09:03 AM
    Sprint usually says you can return the phone if you don't like it. You may need to do this if you go for the EVO, because I've read that the battery life is really short.
    06-02-10 09:33 AM
    I have temporarily retired my 8330 and picked up a used Eris because I didn't want to burn my upgrade. And grew REALLY tired of waiting for the 9650 to be released. And the fact the 9650 is where Android was a year ago with some capabilities (and probably not even on browser issues.) Here is my take on the two systems overall:

Disadvantages of a touch Android device:

the keyboard stinks (especially if you have larger fingers)
    battery life is shorter overall
    no holster to shut the phone off (I have pocket dialed, even though I thought it was locked)
    profiles are non existent (you can buy a program for $2 that somewhat fixes this)
    notifications are not as robust as the Bberry
    security isn't as good as BIS
    more complicated than a Berry

Advantages

lots of applications and applications are cheaper
    great screen
    web browser rocks (bberry would be perfect if it had a browser as good as Android)
    shorter development cycle (two major revisions in a little under two years)
    GMail is more tightly integrated
    Less restrictive than bberry, so customizing or hacking the device could be fun and more innovative apps are definitely going to be released for Android

Just things to think about. When it comes to messaging, nothing touches a Blackberry! I can barely text with the Eris. But, when I needed to do some banking, the browser didn't prevent me from doing what I needed to get done, which the older browser on my Blackberry wouldn't do. The Java Script on the bank's page bogged down a 9630, (tested at the store) too. (for crackberrians, the Java is required for the page to work right.) So, if web browsing is a deal breaker it would be worth knowing ahead of time. Supposedly, OS 6 fixes the browser issue.

The EVO is a heckuva phone, but so is the 9650. Just depends on what you want to do!
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 06-02-10 at 12:05 PM.
    06-02-10 12:03 PM
    9650 kicks the 8350i's **** anyday! go with the bold 9650...u wont regret it
    06-02-10 03:09 PM
    OK... I'm trying the 9650. I'll get by without the push-to-talk feature and see how it goes. I just can't handle the temperamental stuff with the 8350i and longer. If the 9650 has the same type issues, it's off to android world. I'll update this good or bad. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
    06-03-10 03:52 PM
    I may be saying goodbye to the Blackberry world. This morning my 8350i did a total data dump for the second time. The last time I needed a replacement, and this time BBSAK can't do a thing for it so I probably need another replacement. All I was doing was updating the OS. The bugs in my 8350i are such a pain in the **** that I'm ready to just give up the push-to-talk and say goodbye for good.
    My options are to just go to the Android with 4G coming out on Friday, or stick with Blackberry and get a Bold 9650. But I'm not sure if the Bold is any better.
    This sucks.
    Not much different between the 8350i and 9650 besides the hardware. You already know what your getting with the BlackBerry platform, so If I were you i'd give the HTC EVO 4G a try first and if you don't like it then return it for the Bold 9650. Who knows, you may love the HTC EVO 4G and never look back.
    06-03-10 04:59 PM
    I have temporarily retired my 8330 and picked up a used Eris because I didn't want to burn my upgrade. And grew REALLY tired of waiting for the 9650 to be released. And the fact the 9650 is where Android was a year ago with some capabilities (and probably not even on browser issues.) Here is my take on the two systems overall:

Disadvantages of a touch Android device:

the keyboard stinks (especially if you have larger fingers)I use swype. It's great!
    battery life is shorter overall yes it is.
    no holster to shut the phone off (I have pocket dialed, even though I thought it was locked)That's never happened to me
    profiles are non existent (you can buy a program for $2 that somewhat fixes this) or free
    notifications are not as robust as the Bberry If you say so
    security isn't as good as BIS BIS security is no better than any other platform
    more complicated than a Berry Different yes. More complicated, no.

Advantages

lots of applications and applications are cheaper
    great screen
    web browser rocks (bberry would be perfect if it had a browser as good as Android)
    shorter development cycle (two major revisions in a little under two years)
    GMail is more tightly integrated
    Less restrictive than bberry, so customizing or hacking the device could be fun and more innovative apps are definitely going to be released for Android

Just things to think about. When it comes to messaging, nothing touches a Blackberry! I can barely text with the Eris. But, when I needed to do some banking, the browser didn't prevent me from doing what I needed to get done, which the older browser on my Blackberry wouldn't do. The Java Script on the bank's page bogged down a 9630, (tested at the store) too. (for crackberrians, the Java is required for the page to work right.) So, if web browsing is a deal breaker it would be worth knowing ahead of time. Supposedly, OS 6 fixes the browser issue.

The EVO is a heckuva phone, but so is the 9650. Just depends on what you want to do!
    The 9650 is an ok phone, but it is seriously just like every other blackberry.
    06-03-10 05:35 PM
    Agree about Android. My 9700 gives me terrible headache because of the quAlity, so I am looking at new iPhone or probAbly nexus one. Just so bad that we love Blackberries and they feel now like cheap Chinese counterfeits comparing to what other platforms are offering. Keyboard? Heck, you can find OKAY keyboard with Adnroid. Even Palm Pre has keyboard. But crap, so bothered to stick to BB and get problems with even simple things. Getting dissapoonted with BIS. Last night woke up because my phone received three hours of emails AGAIN!! Dups! Why? Nobody knows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 07:01 PM
    Update: After having my 9650 for a little while now I have to say that I'm glad I went with it. It's been performing great, and is pretty fast. All of the apps I had on my 8350i work good if not better now, and it has seemed pretty stable. I've tried to really put it through the ringer, running multiple things at once, just working it hard. The battery life started out bad, but seems to be getting better. And the keyboard keys are flush and angled as opposed to raised, and I'm still getting used to that. But, all in all I think I made the right choice.
    06-15-10 07:06 AM
    Update: After having my 9650 for a little while now I have to say that I'm glad I went with it. It's been performing great, and is pretty fast. All of the apps I had on my 8350i work good if not better now, and it has seemed pretty stable. I've tried to really put it through the ringer, running multiple things at once, just working it hard. The battery life started out bad, but seems to be getting better. And the keyboard keys are flush and angled as opposed to raised, and I'm still getting used to that. But, all in all I think I made the right choice.
    I added a clever (ok ok, not so clever) edit to the thread title. Glad you decided to stay. Either way you probably would have been ok, the Android line is great too, and that 4G is pretty tempting, BUT do we really need the extra speed? I do pretty good with my Verizon 3G. And I'm sure you do ok with Sprint's 3G.
    06-15-10 08:35 AM
    Good edit, and yes the speed does the trick for me.
    06-15-10 11:10 AM
    I like the title edit!!!!!!!!!
    06-15-10 12:58 PM
    The Blackberry Bold i heard is like the best Blackberry phone! I would choose it over an Android because I am not a big fan of touch screen phones.
    06-15-10 08:27 PM
    It's got my recommendation. And I have big fingers that hit two keys at once.

Just stick with the crackberry community and if anything goes wrong they'll get you through it.
    06-16-10 04:03 PM
    Your profile says 8650. You may wanna fix it.
    06-16-10 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD