I know reducing prices on BB7 devices has already gotten underway but I had an idea where RIM could give away old BBs on every purchase of BB10 devices. I know I would be thrilled with such a promotion and it could get a lot of attention among ex-BB users who once used their devices to death and have that nostalgic urge to thumb those keyboards again.

The same could be done for Playbooks, and that would be an even better idea if BB10 devices could be bridged with Playbooks. Create a combo for Playbooks and sell them with BB10, or give them away.

Would that be a little nave of a marketing move?
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-29-12 at 01:58 PM.
    06-29-12 01:56 PM
    What BB10 devices?

How can you sell or market something that doesn't exist and has no release date?
    06-29-12 03:12 PM
    Nice dream, but the carriers put the phone promotions as contract incentives. Verizon used to do a buy one get one free package, but I don't know if they still offer it.
    06-29-12 03:16 PM
    What BB10 devices?

How can you sell or market something that doesn't exist and has no release date?
    cgk has an excellent point haha. But it's not like RIM collects all these ancient devices. I've still got mine
    06-29-12 03:51 PM
    Nice dream, but the carriers put the phone promotions as contract incentives. Verizon used to do a buy one get one free package, but I don't know if they still offer it.
    Not totally true. If RIM chose to provide an incentive they could work with the carriers to implement it.
    06-29-12 05:06 PM
    What if they say if you buy a BB7 today you can swap to a BB10 for nominal upgrade price when it comes out?

I would dump my Droid and buy a Bold 9900 if that were the case.
    06-29-12 05:46 PM
    brand new 64gb playbooks are going for $100 in los angeles
    06-29-12 05:49 PM
    brand new 64gb playbooks are going for $100 in los angeles
    Where? LA Craigslist prices are about $225-$260 for used.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-29-12 06:08 PM
    Where? LA Craigslist prices are about $225-$260 for used.
    64gb blackberry playbook
    Blackberry Playbook 64gig < said he'd take $120
    blackberry playbook 64g

all 3 guys said tablet is less than 2 months old, the first two i think are a couple weeks old, barely ever used, mint condition, sorry i should have clarified better as "newish"
    06-29-12 06:22 PM
    What if they say if you buy a BB7 today you can swap to a BB10 for nominal upgrade price when it comes out?

I am with ptpete on this one. I was just discussing with a friend of mine whether or not RIM can last till Q1 and still have enough cash to launch BB10 worldwide (assuming they ARE going to stick with their schedule).

One of their biggest risk right now is having sufficient cash to burn for developing the software and releasing the product.

We all know the BB7s aren't selling well. There's pretty much nothing they can do to push the inventory out the door UNLESS they give owners of BB7s an incentive to own one.

What they should do is first discount their entire BB7 line of products (except for Curve 9320 because I think that's priced right already) even further. I don't think anyone sees Blackberries as a 'premium' phones anymore so they should not carry a premium price tag.

Second, offer the customers of newly purchased BB7s a discount on the first generation BB10 phones. I am not sure what this discount should be but it needs to be enough to entice not just loyal Blackberry users but also people who are on the fence or people who need a fresh OS to try out. Perhaps 50% off would be a good starting point.

They need to get as much sales as possible even if it means trimming their profit margins extremely thin. I am assuming the sales will eventually turn into cash for RIM (I am not sure how the revenue and cash are recognized on their balance sheet since I don't work in the industry). But if they follow the two recommendations I proposed, I think many disheartened existing BB OS6 users who are looking for an upgrade or other smart phones users who "were" waiting for BB10 will consider a cheap BB7 device for the time being. Personally I would purchase a BB7 right away.

I am due for an upgrade and I was really looking forward to BB10. I am currently using an old phone and I told myself I can last till the BB10 gets released in October or something but after hearing about the delay, I am not sure what I want to do now. I have a Wind Tab waiting to be used but I am now deciding if I should use that on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I do, however, want to see what the BB10 looks like still. I know many people are having the same issues as I am.

Anyway, if they can increase their sales next quarter, at least it will instill some confidence in both their investors and customers. RIM just needs enough cash to carry on the BB10 project. At this point, they really have nothing to lose right now because we know BB7s are not appealing to the masses. They should at least get SOMETHING back from their BB7s instead of letting them rot on the shelves.

They have only two choices in my opinion:

1) leave their prices as is, don't offer anything with the purchase of BB7s, let the sales slide even more (pretty much receive nothing), customers/clients/investors lose more confidence, developers lose confidence and stop developing, pray to have enough resources to get BB10 out the door (high risky), even if BB10 comes out there might not be enough "apps" because many developers have already abandoned after hearing the news

OR

2) stimulate sales by discounting and offering the BB10 promotion, (assuming) sales will increase, gain some momentum back, gain additional resources through sales, increase probability to finish BB10 phones, get developers going again, gain more BB users = more exposure to BB platform = more time for them to experience first hand what owning a BB is about

In summary, RIM should not let their BB7s inventory collect dust. Instead, offer something to attract more customers. Just lowering the price, though it will help a bit, won't cut it, they need something additional like discounts on BB10. Sure they won't be having spectacular for the next few quarters but who cares! Surviving is their top priority right now. BB10 is their last shot at reversing their current fate. They need to do whatever it takes to ensure the BB10 project will be completed.

Please discuss!
    06-29-12 07:09 PM

Yes, they should absolutely do that. To be honest, that's a bau marketing program that tech sales companies have been doing for years. I used that on numerous occasions as a mktg mgr. You take a bath on the profit, but retain the customer and also customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Our strategy was that it was better to keep our existing customers. Knowing that it is 10x more difficult to find new customers than to keep the ones that we had, especially loyal customers like CB,rs.
    06-29-12 11:19 PM
    Yes, they should absolutely do that. To be honest, that's a bau marketing program that tech sales companies have been doing for years. I used that on numerous occasions as a mktg mgr. You take a bath on the profit, but retain the customer and also customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Our strategy was that it was better to keep our existing customers. Knowing that it is 10x more difficult to find new customers than to keep the ones that we had, especially loyal customers like CB,rs.
    i think the board is unsure whether or not they actually want bb10 to be released, or feel that it's profitable to follow through with it. i feel like the delay was to give the company time to assess it's options instead of offering a program like you mentioned or a release date for bb10, because at that point there is potential for legal backlash against them. what if they made this offer and bb10 never came out? i as a consumer right now have 0 reason to think bb10 will ever come out and if the media is even right a little bit, what's going on inside of board meetings is a lot more talk about whether or not to sell the company or to split the company, not when is bb10 going to be released.
    06-29-12 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD