Read an interesting article from engoughproject.org
    Essentially it is a study that determined what companies are doing so countless lives are not being lost for "Blood Materials", and how they specially account for those materials.

RIM ranked # 6 out of 24 with Apple, Microsoft, and many other Google Manufactures like Sony and HTC treading in behind.

It probably will not be a deal breaker for new users who like to support more ethically friendly companies, but I know I was impressed! Great job RIM!

The links are for:
    CNN's Article
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/tech/g...html?hpt=te_t1

PDF Report from enoughproject.org's website
    http://www.enoughproject.org/files/C...nkings2012.pdf
    Last edited by NateFulton2010; 08-16-12 at 06:51 PM.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-16-12 06:45 PM
    That is good news. Do you have a link? Never mind...I missed it at the end of your post.

http://www.raisehopeforcongo.org/con...mpany-rankings
    Last edited by D_March; 08-16-12 at 06:52 PM.
    08-16-12 06:48 PM
    This is good news, and RIM should be praised for it.
    08-16-12 09:31 PM
    That is why I refuse to buy Apple products. Thls company is in position to do something about it with billions of dollars sitting in the bank account. It just choose not do anything. Greed is corporate motto at Apple
    08-17-12 07:16 AM
    #1: Intel 60%
    #2: HP 54%
    #3: SanDisk / Philips 48%
    #5 AMD 44%
    #6 RIM 42%
    #7 Acer / Dell 40%
    #9 Apple 38%
    #10 Microsoft 38%
    #11 Motorola / Nokia 35%
    #13 Panasonic 33%
    #14 IBM / Sony / LG / Samsung 27%
    #18 Toshiba 21%
    #19 Lenovo 17%
    #20 Canon / Nikon / Sharp 8%
    #23 HTC 4%
    #24 Nintendo 0%

This is how they are Ranked

@bitek, what kind of PC do you own? if you're going to be on a high horse on why you don't buy Apple it best be an HP with an Intel Processor,
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-17-12 08:18 AM
    That is why I refuse to buy Apple products. Thls company is in position to do something about it with billions of dollars sitting in the bank account. It just choose not do anything. Greed is corporate motto at Apple
    Did you even read this "report" or is this just more of the anti-Apple hatred that usually has no basis in fact.

• Apple was the first company to publicly identify the number of smelters in its supply chain—175—and require its suppliers to use only audited, conflict-free smelters,
    when enough are available.It also leads a smelter training program
    Toshiba, Apple, HP, and Nokia put new policies in place to require all of their suppliers
    to use only audited, conflict-free smelters, once enough are available
    Pains me to quote from this "report" as I think this is a BS issue and that no corporation on Earth should be concerned with this.
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-17-12 08:25 AM
    Did you even read this "report" or is this just more of the anti-Apple hatred that usually has no basis in fact.

Pains me to quote from this "report" as I think this is a BS issue and that no corporation on Earth should be concerned with this.
    I disagree about it being a BS issue.

like "Blood diamonds"
    or Child Labour, or slavery,
    Companies should be aware of their effect on the environment, and on their effect on social climates.

I'm Pleased that Apple, and others are making sure they are aware of where their raw materials come from.

Does it overly change my buying decisions? am I not going to buy another Lenovo notebook now that I've read this? probably not, I have 2 new Lenovo's and my next will most likely be a Lenovo, but I will Give HP another look because of rankings like this, if they match the features and feel I want, I'd pay a tad more in the 5% range for their product
    08-17-12 08:53 AM
    Regrettably this "report" is indeed BS. The product causing most concern is coltan, almost entirely sourced from a few areas in W Africa where fraud and corruption are endemic in the supply chain. The onward processing is near monopoly, entirely with a handful of companies mostly in China. No source audit is worth the paper on which it is written.
    08-17-12 09:25 AM
    The Report Being BS and the issue Being BS are 2 different things
    08-17-12 09:28 AM
    The Report Being BS and the issue Being BS are 2 different things
    The issue is complete BS and reports like this do nothing to solve a problem. They exist for two reasons:

1) To make organizations like Enough and it's parent organization, the Center for American Progress, look like some high-minded, altruistic group trying to fight the good fight. They aren't but that's another story.

2) To help people who really could not give two @#$!s about Africa or anywhere else beyond their community feel good about themselves, while requiring them to pay nothing more than lip service. When ALL the people who care about this issue dispose of all their "tainted" possessions, vow and follow through on that vow to purchase only products that can be verified to be ethically sourced, produced and sold I will start to take this seriously. As of now, it is just another misguided cause clbre.

Out of the entire group in this article and report, Nintendo is the only company I respect and that is because it appears their answer to this nonsense is an appropriate and resounding 'f off.
    08-17-12 01:08 PM
    I should know more about this topic than I currently do, and the discussion in this thread has encouraged me to do so.

AG: strong, painful points, but true, IMHO.
    08-17-12 01:39 PM
    This anti-conflict metals movement has devastated the artisanal mining industry in Africa. While some mines are owned by warlords, many are not (although the owners likely need to pay protection money to some thugs). But the result of these boycotts is that some really poor miners can no longer earn a living, and only big corporations, using environmentally destructive practices, are operating in Africa.

Well intentioned knee-jerrk reactions can really mess things up. It's just not that simple to label something 'blood' or 'conflict' and stop buying it.
    08-17-12 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD