Some people say "refresh" like it's a dirty word
    I like my Storm2. If it came with a better camera, twice the memory, and running OS6 with a much better web browser, I would be very happy

On the contrary, if RIM didn't offer a refresh and only sold the Storm2 with current specs until the Storm3 arrives in 2011, I think then a lot of people would be very upset indeed.
    How long did we know of RIM working on a Storm update??? And after all that time, it ends up being a mere Storm refresh with the same display, processor, and only 512mb RAM??? Why should we have to wait till 2011 for anything substancial??? It should of been worked on since last year when we heard of a Storm 3 already in the works! Whatever the Storm 4 will be in 2011, it needed to come out now in October/November and compete directly with the iphone 4 and the new Droids that have come out all year long.... smh!!!
    08-23-10 06:36 PM
    How long did we know of RIM working on a Storm update??? And after all that time, it ends up being a mere Storm refresh with the same display, processor, and only 512mb RAM??? Why should we have to wait till 2011 for anything substancial??? It should of been worked on since last year when we heard of a Storm 3 already in the works! Whatever the Storm 4 will be in 2011, it needed to come out now in October/November and compete directly with the iphone 4 and the new Droids that have come out all year long.... smh!!!
    Why? RIM can release a 6 month "holdover" refresh model to push out OS6 on for a consumer device on another carrier (VZW in the US) while waiting for 2011 to come by and then push out a possible LTE capable device in 6 more months from release of this Storm refresh. It's the same old "6 month" story from RIM, nothing more.

People are hoping for a QNX based BB device from RIM and right now, it'll either be that silly tablet or the next Storm (if the rumors of 2 months ago are even true about the next big Storm redesign). If I had to guess, chances are good that whatever these people saw in the form of the Storm, is more then likely a Storm hardware device that was running the QNX based OS destined for the upcoming tablet. Either that or the 7" screens were never for a tablet device (or even a phone for that matter, could have been NAV units for cars they were messing around with) and what RIM's working on is a Storm like device running QNX based OS that they are hoping to shift the BBOS weaknesses with.
    08-23-10 10:17 PM
    Why? RIM can release a 6 month "holdover" refresh model to push out OS6 on for a consumer device on another carrier (VZW in the US) while waiting for 2011 to come by and then push out a possible LTE capable device in 6 more months from release of this Storm refresh. It's the same old "6 month" story from RIM, nothing more.

People are hoping for a QNX based BB device from RIM and right now, it'll either be that silly tablet or the next Storm (if the rumors of 2 months ago are even true about the next big Storm redesign). If I had to guess, chances are good that whatever these people saw in the form of the Storm, is more then likely a Storm hardware device that was running the QNX based OS destined for the upcoming tablet. Either that or the 7" screens were never for a tablet device (or even a phone for that matter, could have been NAV units for cars they were messing around with) and what RIM's working on is a Storm like device running QNX based OS that they are hoping to shift the BBOS weaknesses with.
    A little off-topic, but do I take that comment to mean all tablets devices are silly, or just RIMs. I personally would welcome a RIM based tablet device.
    08-24-10 08:07 AM
    The whole shift to a QNX based OS sounds great...

Anyone have a clue if it will be compatible with existing applications?

I would not think that it would be possible, but I just can not image RIM starting over with ZERO applications for the PAD and STORM LTE.
    08-24-10 08:29 AM
    A little off-topic, but do I take that comment to mean all tablets devices are silly, or just RIMs. I personally would welcome a RIM based tablet device.
    Even the iPad is a joke. Had it run OSX, it would have been a much better product. So, since rumor states that the RIM Tablet will be a bonded device which is an extention of your existing BB device, it might be just as bad, if not worse.

The whole shift to a QNX based OS sounds great...

Anyone have a clue if it will be compatible with existing applications?

I would not think that it would be possible, but I just can not image RIM starting over with ZERO applications for the PAD and STORM LTE.
    The OS core on BB is the problem, not the Java app platform (for the most part anyway). They should be able to change the core to QNX and still use Java for the apps so that it won't hurt the developers a lot. However, RIM's even sucking on bringing dev tools to the developers in recent times... so, that could be a slight sign that they might be rethinking this whole thing, but who knows. Since it's been RIM's idea up until now to take baby steps in terms of change, I don't see them changing their entire platform overnight and certainly not faster then 5 years out. Problem is, that timeframe should have started 5 years ago, but they really didn't put it in motion until just this year.
    08-24-10 08:38 AM
    so what does this mean to storm 2 owners? I have one and want OS 6 so will we be able to upgrade to this refresh at a discounted price or did i upgrade for nothing?
    08-30-10 05:24 PM
    so what does this mean to storm 2 owners? I have one and want OS 6 so will we be able to upgrade to this refresh at a discounted price or did i upgrade for nothing?
    It means that you upgraded for all the things you got out of your S2. If your pissed that it can't run the next OS update and that the S3 appears to be a minor revision, well you'll need to get in a long line. Don't expect any discounts.

I'd wait for the LTE device if you have an S2 anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 05:38 PM
    How long ago did you get the S2? If you are still within your 30 days, return it.
    08-30-10 05:44 PM
    How long ago did you get the S2? If you are still within your 30 days, return it.
    thanks no longer within my 30 days i guess ill just have to wait it out for another 1.5 years lol
    08-31-10 01:28 PM
    thanks no longer within my 30 days i guess ill just have to wait it out for another 1.5 years lol
    You have a great attitude haha. I would be more upset. Honestly if things don't get better I am thinking about buying a used droid1 for now and just see what happens with RIM. I actually found and brand new droid for 150 bucks with no contract. Maybe you would be interested in something like that instead of getting the refresh of the exact phone that you already have! Pretty sad but the droid which is old will probably have a better experience than a brand new storm
    08-31-10 02:11 PM
    lol alright. I'm sorry then.
    08-31-10 03:01 PM
    Another Surepress fan here! Would be disappointed if it goes away with the S3 which will be my next phone.
    09-01-10 08:11 PM
    Another Surepress fan here! Would be disappointed if it goes away with the S3 which will be my next phone.
    Don't you want to wait for the LTE model? Unless you can afford to buy another phone in 6 months, I would wait for the LTE version...as hard as the wait will be!
    09-02-10 07:05 AM
    What are the rumors about what form of device will we see with LTE on Verizon?

Storm like? iPhone?

My wife's dumbphone is long overdue for an upgrade. I would love to see her with a Berry. Would allow her to better check ebay stuff on the road. Allow her to maintain her antiques website remotely, if necesary. etc. But we have held off due to adding another $29.99 data plan to our account.

But with the possibility of Verizon going to tiered data plans, I am reramping up research again. With the addition of wi-fi for me (going fram a bad tour to the Bold), I have cut my data usage (on average) by about 75% (with podtrapper podcasts being the primary factor here). I know I would be able to be under what might be a given tier (anything in the 1-2GB range...I could stay well under). That cost savings would allow us to add a berry with an even smaller tier as my wife would never use as much data as I do.

Sooooooo....again, for my wife, who I would flag as a "newbie" and not as technically inclined as me, what would you think about Storm 3, compared to what might be the first LTE devices for VZW?

I guess we would also have to factor the reach of the LTE network at "official" rollout.

My gut says since I have a berry, I want her to have a berry too (ease of support for me and BBM). And I think she could do well on the Storm family.

I'll have to bring her to a store one of these days and have her play around with them.....
    09-02-10 08:01 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD