The mood in here seems to have changed to a little more negative tone...some of that may be natural given how high expectations have been ratcheted up. I guess my question is this: Does BB10 (Z10 and Q10) have what it takes to hold down the number 3 spot for market share behind Android and iOS and ahead of WP8? Given the way the last couple of years have gone for RIM, I'm not sure any set of specs or new OS feature were going to be enough to change perceptions overnight with this launch, but I think the new OS is solid enough as a starting point to position RIM as relevant and a competitive alternative and over time to increase their share of the mobile marketplace.
    01-30-13 02:30 PM
    BlackBerry sure as H3LL won't be getting first place any time soon.
    01-30-13 02:41 PM
    I honestly don't know. So much is missing at this point although WP8 is missing a lot of the same things. The presser was pretty much a joke however, in that it looked like a B level Microsoft launch. Cue Alica Keys and what not. The presentation left many important aspects of a smartphone uncovered. I'm not sure if many features I need are even in BB10 at this point, Navigation being one of them. I keep hearing the "sideload google maps" explanation but the average consumer isn't going to hear that noise. I would say promising I guess, but not a given. We all know Microsofts deep pockets aren't going anywhere.
    01-30-13 02:43 PM
    I would say that it could get 3rd place, but you can be in third by a hair or by a mile... this is looking like mile territory based on the launch.
    If a serious stance is taken by BB and they give all the relevant information it can get close, but no way after today.
    01-30-13 02:54 PM
    I honestly don't know. So much is missing at this point although WP8 is missing a lot of the same things. The presser was pretty much a joke however, in that it looked like a B level Microsoft launch. Cue Alica Keys and what not. The presentation left many important aspects of a smartphone uncovered. I'm not sure if many features I need are even in BB10 at this point, Navigation being one of them. I keep hearing the "sideload google maps" explanation but the average consumer isn't going to hear that noise. I would say promising I guess, but not a given. We all know Microsofts deep pockets aren't going anywhere.
    I thought it was very similar to the WP8 launch, not on a technical level (I thought what is offered in bb10 is more impressive than w8) but the way it was very stiff and that the people on stage simply couldn't sell the 'sizzle''. There was also a bit like the WebOS launch where the CEO is effectively begging people to clap - that just looks sad.
    01-30-13 03:02 PM
    I thought it was very similar to the WP8 launch, not on a technical level (I thought what is offered in bb10 is more impressive than w8) but the way it was very stiff and that the people on stage simply couldn't sell the 'sizzle''. There was also a bit like the WebOS launch where the CEO is effectively begging people to clap - that just looks sad.
    I would disagree on this, although i KNOW that it seemed like that. There wasnt a lot of clapping because it wasnt 'new' stuff for the most part. When the 'new' stuff was announced it got louder. We all knew about the keyboards and software. Skype got some claps and the UK release got a lot of claps (has any other company done a immediate release?) . Also, I think that Heins is such an intelligent guy, but just doesnt know how to show it to the crowd. His claps and comments looked 100% genuine, like he has been using the phone and it is blowing his mind on a daily basis. It looked a bit weird, but he didnt BALMER it... he acted natural, and his natural wasnt flashy.
    01-30-13 03:07 PM
    1. Product launches at this level with this much pressure not to fail are not easy to do. It was done well in my opinion. Apple presentations (for comparison) haven't always been problem/ glitch free. Apple's had a few bombs in it's day. Apple doesn't sell as much product as they sell a lifestyle.

2. This product launch represents a milestone in BB not the finish line. This is the beginning of the journey not the end.

3. Let's hope there will be more product launches to come down the road as the QNX refinements roll out.
    01-30-13 03:13 PM
    Bull ****.

BlackBerry can be #1. They have what it takes.

People are saying "It doesn't have/do this" when the reality is we can make a list of everything each phone (iPhone for instance) doesn't have/do, yet those phones are still #1.

In just the last week I've had people come to me asking me if their iDevice or Android can do the following and they had NO IDEA BB10 was coming out:

1. Can I use my phone to supply internet connection to my tablet without paying for hotspot/tethering (and not have to root anything)?
    BB BRIDGE

2. Is there a way I can give a live feed of my phone screen to someone else instead of sending them a bunch of screen capture images?
    BBM SCREEN SHARE

3. Am I able to show what's on my tablet to my phone and vice versa?
    BB BRIDGE

4. Is there a way I can stream my pictures/videos to my TV and use my TV as a big screen without buying Apple TV or something like that?
    ON BOARD HDMI OUTPUT / DLNA SUPPORT

Screw #3. BB is heading for the top. Won't happen overnight, but even if it's slowly but surely, it's still surely.

*Queue Airplane! movie reference*
    01-30-13 03:14 PM
    Bull ****.

BlackBerry can be #1. They have what it takes.

People are saying "It doesn't have/do this" when the reality is we can make a list of everything each phone (iPhone for instance) doesn't have/do, yet those phones are still #1.

In just the last week I've had people come to me asking me if their iDevice or Android can do the following and they had NO IDEA BB10 was coming out:

1. Can I use my phone to supply internet connection to my tablet without paying for hotspot/tethering (and not have to root anything)?
    BB BRIDGE

2. Is there a way I can give a live feed of my phone screen to someone else instead of sending them a bunch of screen capture images?
    BBM SCREEN SHARE

3. Am I able to show what's on my tablet to my phone and vice versa?
    BB BRIDGE

4. Is there a way I can stream my pictures/videos to my TV and use my TV as a big screen without buying Apple TV or something like that?
    ON BOARD HDMI OUTPUT / DLNA SUPPORT

Screw #3. BB is heading for the top. Won't happen overnight, but even if it's slowly but surely, it's still surely.

Lol. I love the enthusiasm. The train has to be turned around first.
    JR A likes this.
    01-30-13 03:17 PM
    Lol. I love the enthusiasm. The train has to be turned around first.

The train is being turned around. We just don't feel it because the train has been turning around for a while, and us CrackBerrians are at the head start of things. It's just a matter of time. Just wait til people actually use the device on the daily and realize what the non-superficial functionality of the device actually does for them. The reason why people feel underwhelmed is because there weren't any major "sticker-shocker-gimmicks". The real beauty is in the every day, every hour, every minute use of the thing. And I'm just speaking from experience with a Dev device. I can only imagine how much better the final product is...
    01-30-13 03:22 PM
    Not sure, the thing is WP8 has a very unique interface, and its hub feature is very well done. If WP8 just had a vanilla UI, I would have said yes.
    01-30-13 03:27 PM
    I think I need to stop following tech so much. From the reviews I've seen - of the software - I don't want it. I actually think Microsoft got the basics right - especially as it regards to consistent user experience across the OS - and they tend to be a bit stricter with people adhering to UX guidelines than Google and now apparently Blackberry as well.

And what I see in their App Store isn't encouraging. I cannot affort to spend that much money to wait. WP8 still needs work there as well, but Nokia's flagship is better than the Z10 so I may go there - just the better camera is worth it to me.
    01-30-13 03:38 PM
    Just so you knwo where I'm coming from, I have a WP7.5 phone and have 3 good friends who use WP8 phones. I also use a BlackBerry as my main comm. device (coincidentally those 3 friends recently moved from BB to WP8).

I see no reason why Blackberry 10 can't be 3rd. Other than those 3 friends who have Windows phones, I don't know of anyone who owns or has owned a Windows Phone. A whole lot of people I know used to own a Blackberry, and that helps. Even if the didn't like it much, when they find out about BB10 they might say "I didn't like the phone much but I liked xyz about it, let me at least see how the new ones look, maybe they fixed things". A number of weeks before the BB10 launch I ran into about 4 tweets from different people on my timeline from past BB users saying that the new BB10 looks pretty nice, 2 or so mentioned switching back from iOS.

What BB has that windows phone doesn't really have is millions of consumers, young and old, who had a blackberry and miss a few things about it. The keyboard, BBM, the email (I can do things on my BB that I can't do on the GMail website. That's a bit sad.) etc. And now BB10 takes away a lot of the negatives (mainly it's speed!) and improves upon the positives. Former and current users who still love certain things about BlackBerry no longer need to put up with a dated device to get those features. You don't need to put up with 4+ minute start times, the hourglass, constant checkering when browsing, the small screen etc. BB10 puts BlackBerry. forever the best communication device, in the same league as other devices for multimedia consumption.

Coincidentally, I'm FINALLY going to watch the movie today, always seen clips and meant to watch it but I never did get around to watching it.
    01-30-13 03:57 PM