"If your phone isn't getting regular patches to mitigate these exploits, don't buy that brand next time."

The good and bad of Wikileaks' Vault 7 dump | Android Central

tl;dr: Take off your tinfoil hats. But if you're REALLY concerned, buy your devices from Google or BlackBerry.
    03-12-17 03:41 PM
    "If your phone isn't getting regular patches to mitigate these exploits, don't buy that brand next time."
    Does once a year count as regular? /s
    03-12-17 03:49 PM
    Also, try to avoid carrier devices, especially those that take their precious time on approving updates.
    03-12-17 03:51 PM
    Does once a year count as regular? /s
    The good and bad of Wikileaks' Vault 7 dump-giphy.gif
    jmr1015, DaFoxGrey and MTBBguy like this.
    03-12-17 03:52 PM
    There was a lawsuit vs Verizon regarding the fact that they are taking too much time to push out updates and patches. What happened to that?
    03-12-17 04:15 PM
    Apple has patches all the time. In fact when there is a serious security compromise they rush them out. I have been on Apple devices for 6 years now and sometimes the updates are bothersome but I always do them. Then there are people like a guy I know who is still on ios 7.1!!!!
    (the last I heard)

Apple is claiming they have patched these issues already.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-12-17 04:50 PM
    Ah correction Apple has said they have patched MOST, meaning there will likely be more updates coming very soon

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/ap...y-patched/amp/
    03-12-17 04:56 PM
    Apple has patches all the time. In fact when there is a serious security compromise they rush them out. I have been on Apple devices for 6 years now and sometimes the updates are bothersome but I always do them. Then there are people like a guy I know who is still on ios 7.1!!!!
    (the last I heard)
    He's been pressing "Remind me Later" for 3 years?!? Yikes!
    03-12-17 05:48 PM
    (the last I heard)

Apple is claiming they have patched these issues already.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Yup Apple are typically very fast on patching security flaws. Much faster than squishing certain bugs.

But BB had been doing a pretty good job with their Android devices. They need to keep it up!
    03-12-17 05:53 PM
    I guess we should enjoy the little time this thread has before the "REEEEEEEEEEEE GOOGLE REEEEEEEEEEE" crowd shows up.
    03-12-17 06:08 PM
    He's been pressing "Remind me Later" for 3 years?!? Yikes!
    Yup and the little red notification thingy. . It doesn't bother him. It it does bug me when I see it
    03-12-17 06:27 PM
    Yup Apple are typically very fast on patching security flaws. Much faster than squishing certain bugs.

But BB had been doing a pretty good job with their Android devices. They need to keep it up!
    Very fast for Apple almost to the point of "oh no not another update already!"

It's my understanding that Google also does not have ALL the wiki leaks issues patched as well.....

What I was surprised to read is that Wiki is interested in working with Apple and possibly Google.

Regarding the CIA vs Wiki I am still undecided who I fear most in all of this.
    03-12-17 06:31 PM
    I guess we should enjoy the little time this thread has before the "REEEEEEEEEEEE GOOGLE REEEEEEEEEEE" crowd shows up.
    Shhhh.. they're heaaaar you.
    03-12-17 09:37 PM
    Yep, 'cause somehow, with all those updates every month for the past three- four years, they somehow missed the ones that the CIA was using.
    Such a joke...the more they fix the more they add, or else how would they still have a job?
    Imagine if planes had as many bugs as phones and every time they repaired a mechanical fault they would add another "to allow for better operation and verification."

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 11:00 PM
    Shhhh.. they're heaaaar you.
    Oh well.
    03-12-17 11:12 PM
    Yep, 'cause somehow, with all those updates every month for the past three- four years, they somehow missed the ones that the CIA was using.
    Such a joke...the more they fix the more they add, or else how would they still have a job?
    Imagine if planes had as many bugs as phones and every time they repaired a mechanical fault they would add another "to allow for better operation and verification."

Posted via CB10
    But how can they fix what they don't know about. Now they know about it so they can patch for it.

I remember always having to buy Norton and using Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy for my old Microsoft computer seven years ago and those were only good for known things.

Isn't this the same principle, I mean it can't be that easy staying ahead of thousands and thousands of hired hackers out there.
    DaFoxGrey and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-12-17 11:45 PM
    They are still mistakes in coding, all these security breaches and flaws.
    To err is human, but only the software industry has turned making mistakes into a programming feature and something to boast about.
    In any other industry people would be ashamed when they make mistakes.
    Here, instead of apologizing, they try to blame the user because he or she does not give in to updating to the most recent OS release that usually messes up things that worked before.
    As if the latest OS release is not full of bugs and security flaws like the one before...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-13-17 at 10:41 PM.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    03-13-17 10:30 PM
    They are still mistakes in coding, all these security breaches and flaws.
    To err is human, but only the software industry has turned making mistakes into a programming feature and something to boast about.
    In any other industry people would be ashamed when they make mistakes.
    Here, instead of apologizing, they try to blame the user because he or she does not give in to updating to the most recent OS release that usually messes up things that worked before.
    As if the latest OS release is not full of bugs and security flaws like the one before...

Posted via CB10
    I know that nothing is perfect on the Internet and if they ever did apologize well they probably never would because then they would open them selves up to liability and could be sued most likely.
    03-13-17 11:24 PM
    But how can they fix what they don't know about. Now they know about it so they can patch for it.

I remember always having to buy Norton and using Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy for my old Microsoft computer seven years ago and those were only good for known things.

Isn't this the same principle, I mean it can't be that easy staying ahead of thousands and thousands of hired hackers out there.
    ^This....

Here is how Company X finds out there is a flaw in their code that can let hackers in:
    1. Company X coding team finds it = Company X fixes it
    2. White Hat hackers or Security Firms find it and inform Company X = Company X fixes it
    3. Sloppy Black Hat hackers find it and Wr3k H4v0K with noticeable fall out, alerting Company X customer base = Company X fixes it
    4. Premium Black Hat hackers or State Entity hackers find it and very selectively use/trade/sell it while carefully covering their tracks = Company X never knows it is broke

4 = Vault 7 leak
    03-14-17 10:17 AM
    "REEEEEEEEEEEE GOOGLE REEEEEEEEEEE" crowd
    I give up, who/what is the reeeeeeee Google reeeeeeeeeeee crowd?
    I didn't count the e's, does it make a difference?
    03-14-17 02:29 PM
    I give up, who/what is the reeeeeeee Google reeeeeeeeeeee crowd?
    I didn't count the e's, does it make a difference?
    Aka "Google is out to get us" crowd.
    03-14-17 03:56 PM
    I think the biggest difference between any other product and software is that with any other product people don't go that extra mile to find ever more ingenious ways of breaking it.
    I don't think it's the fault of the software engineers that it keeps happening, especially when you have to integrate your product with 3 parties who at times they have no control over.
    Imagine if you bought a bicycle and then someone said if you lay it on its side on a wall and add a half ton weight to each side the frame will bend in half then get told to fix it. Your first question would be why would someone do that but because some bed wetter has you have to fix it. The next time they'll use a one ton weight.
    Software Devs can't anticipate every move and like you say they can't fix it until it's broken which is already too late.
    Get your phone direct from BlackBerry and have more control over the OS was the mantra of BB10. Ironically people would rather have Snapchat so I guess they can't complain now. You pays your money and takes your chance.
    03-14-17 06:08 PM
    Aka "Google is out to get us" crowd.
    Oh them folks, I think they are rather entertaining and at times funny.
    And I wear a foil hat myself, on occasion. Though sometimes the occasion is 'stiring the pudding'.
    03-14-17 08:11 PM
    Yes. Why should software companies set a goal to design bug-free software and apologize when they don't?

The market has decided: since software is always buggy, everything should be software controlled via the Internet and the cloud.

The logic is flawless.

Just put a disclaimer. It's the user who has to assume the risk of using it and agree to the fine print, or else just go hide himself/herself in a cave.

There's the choice!

Posted via CB10
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    03-14-17 08:26 PM
    They do put the disclaimer. It's the first thing that pops up when you first start the device. Nobody bothers to read it though and even if they did it's not exactly negotiable.
    03-15-17 04:04 AM
32 12