TORONTO (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd said on Tuesday it planned to allow rival mobile device management players to manage its BlackBerry 10 devices on the internal networks of their clients, marking a slight shift in strategy for the embattled technology company.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry said VMware Inc subsidiary AirWatch, Citrix Systems Inc and International Business Machines Corp would be the first companies to manage its new line of smartphones on their own mobile device management systems.

The move by BlackBerry is in effect a tacit nod that some large corporate clients are using or are switching to rival MDM players to manage devices on their internal corporate networks. Allowing these companies to manage BlackBerry 10 devices ensures that their customers still give employees the freedom to choose BlackBerry's new devices as their smartphones.

BlackBerry, a pioneer in the smartphone industry, is trying to engineer a turnaround after its new line of devices have failed to win back market share ceded to rivals such as Apple Inc's iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co's line of Galaxy devices powered by Google's Android operating system.

Under new Chief Executive John Chen, BlackBerry is trying to transform itself into a more services-oriented company, with an emphasis on MDM.

John Sims, who heads BlackBerry's enterprise division, said he did not expect the move to hurt the company's own MDM business.

"We have organized the company into four divisions, and we have indicated that each of the divisions needs to be successful in its own right" said Sims. "Today's announcement is an example of how the devices business needs to pursue its success as an entity by opening the BlackBerry 10 platform to other MDM players.

"We believe MDM as a capability is just table stakes these days, and really, the market has moved beyond that into how do you manage applications, manage data in transit on devices," he said.

BlackBerry is better positioned than its rivals to offer such services, he added.
    05-13-14 10:29 AM
    HERE'S ANOTHER ARTICLE ON THIS

BlackBerry Opens BlackBerry 10 Operating System to Multiple MDM Platforms
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 13, 2014) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSX: BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that it will enable mobile device management (MDM) companies to directly manage devices with the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

AirWatch, Citrix and IBM have expressed their intent to be the first companies to work with BlackBerry to enable a more open mobility ecosystem. In doing so, BlackBerry will provide organizations with more options to embrace multi-operating system mobile environments by enabling other MDM companies to manage BlackBerry 10 devices.

According to Gartner, "Mobile device management (MDM) remains a top priority for IT buyers, and investment levels are growing steadily. Competition among players drives commoditization."(1) Gartner also notes, "Proliferation of and demand for workplace mobility necessitate the need for quality and flexible management tools."(2) As a result of this demand, BlackBerry is working with the companies listed above to offer customers the most flexible solution to support a broader enterprise mobility strategy.

"Offering the end-to-end secure solutions valued by our customers in government and other regulated industries remains central to our strategy; however BlackBerry understands the opportunity and importance of opening our BlackBerry 10 software," said Ron Louks, President of Devices and Emerging Solutions, BlackBerry. "This is a natural next step in our enterprise strategy as we seek to provide our customers with maximum choice in how they will meet the full array of employee mobility needs."

"The enterprise mobility landscape continues to rapidly evolve, and BlackBerry represents a valued addition to our partner ecosystem," said Kevin Keith, Director of Business Development, AirWatch by VMware�. "The integration of the BlackBerry 10 operating system into the comprehensive AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Management Platform� will empower our customers and partners to fully manage any device in their mobile fleet from a single console." "At Citrix, our vision is to deliver mobile workspaces to users anywhere, any time and on any device. As an industry EMM leader, Citrix XenMobile extends support to all enterprise devices. We have long supported BlackBerry OS devices, and the new BlackBerry 10 APIs create exciting possibilities," said Chris Fleck, Vice President of Mobility Solutions & Alliances, Citrix.

BlackBerry will continue to offer its multi-platform EMM solution BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10), which manages and secures corporate-owned and BYOD BlackBerry, iOS and Android devices. BlackBerry intends to launch BES12 in late 2014, adding Windows Phone 8 support.
    05-13-14 10:34 AM
    Had to happen with BYOD so popular and other devices like tablets needing to be managed....

Have to hope that BES12 is all that BlackBerry is saying it will be.
    05-13-14 10:36 AM
    Airwatch is the preferred enterprise MDM for DoD on their new contract
    05-13-14 10:39 AM
    Based on that Press Release, I'm not sure what BlackBerry has to differentiate itself. I though they were using BES as the differentiator but according to this it changed.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-13-14 11:34 AM
    Here's the reality: BB10 phones are a mere .3% of the mature market share, and if a company chooses another MDM, and that MDM can't manage BB10 phones, then BB10 phones are going to be banned at that company. Can BB really afford to have their phones prohibited, and lose sales, just to keep exclusive control over the MDM features? IMO, no, they cannot - they need every last sale they can get, even if they don't get the MDM sale.

But keep in mind that with BES12, BB will be able to manage EVERY major platform's phones, so that even if BB10 phones ultimately fail and are withdrawn, BB the company will still have a strong MDM product to market and sell. I know that's small comfort to fans of BB phones, but for the company as a whole, that's a real possibility, and one they must be prepared for.
    05-13-14 11:57 AM
    I think it's a big mistake...Giving preference to devices over MDM software..yes they may be able to sell few thousand extra devices bit they loose an competitive edge of being the only MDM player to support all devices..

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:18 PM
    I think it's a big mistake...Giving preference to devices over MDM software..yes they may be able to sell few thousand extra devices bit they loose an competitive edge of being the only MDM player to support all devices..

Posted via CB10
    Which won't matter if no one wants a bb as the others do all devices except.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-13-14 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would basically exclude all businesses with a non-BES MDM solution already in place.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    05-13-14 12:37 PM
    Which won't matter if no one wants a bb as the others do all devices except.
    Not true BlackBerry does offer higher level security for high level workforce....it makes it easier for competition to poach them even more...what does BlackBerry get in return few thousand device sales..I don't see how it's a smart move..

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:48 PM
    Good thing in my opinion.

BlackBerry has to take every step necessary to keep existing BlackBerry 10 phones of value to their customers and to get new ones going into the market.

A company with a market share as low as BlackBerry's simply cannot write the rules regarding MDM, so they have to adapt in order to gain relevance.
    Play their strengths but with the certain amount of understatement. I think that's something John Chen is doing quite good.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:55 PM
    I think this is a good mode. BB is in no position of power right now and it had to be done.

I have no idea, but what about BBOS 7? Could it be managed by other MDM platforms or just BES?
    05-13-14 01:08 PM
    I'm happy, the organisation I work for use AirWatch and have not allowed BB10 phones up to now. Now there is a glimmer of hope that I'll be able to use a BB10 phone for what they were designed for.

Posted from Z10 10.3
    kbz1960 and web99 like this.
    05-13-14 01:22 PM