[Haven't this person not used WebOS, the real daddy of Playbook OS.
    Playbook was rushed because RIM knew if they did not release their product before HP touchpad nobody will buy their product as everybody will just buy the original product(Touchpad) and not the pirated copy(Playbook).

Right now for $500 HP Touchpad is a much better buy then Playbook.
    I still think if Playbook has to succeed it needs to cut cost to $350 or else it sales will not pick up.

I still don't get all the hype of QNX phone,which will be released next year.
    If WebOS starts succeeding with HP resources it would extremely difficult for RIM to market the same type of product.
    WebOS right now is the original and more polished OS, and QNX will have hard time convincing the new users of its advantage over WebOS

Web OS and QNX OS are two different beasts. Just because they look alike visually doesn't mean they are alike structurally.

It's like saying a Ferrari and a Ford looks alike because they're both cars, have two doors, four wheels and and a motor. Or that the iPhone and BB are the same because they're both smartphones.

Rim's Unix based QNX OS is a microkernal architecture built for RTOS, Web OS is not built along that architecture so handles tasks differently. By having a microkernal architecture it doesn't have to run each process as a whole but instead breaks them down into a series of smaller tasks known as servers. Makes mutlitasking and programing easier.

Web OS will be running off Honeycomb. QNX is its own OS now wholly owned by Rim.

QNX has the adaptive partitioning makes sure no one app hog too much of the processor power available to you. Simply put if you want to watch a movie another app can't hog more resources to run in the background.

QNX is not a new operating system. It's only new in a tablet form.
    Last edited by Snick Snack; 06-27-11 at 02:15 PM.
    06-27-11 02:09 PM
    Kaps is right on about RIM copying WebOS and brings out a very important point(see below) which you guys neglect. Why would anyone choose a BB QNX device over a WebOS one? What does BlackBerry QNX bring to the table that WebOS doesn't already do better? WebOS will always be well ahead of BB QNX on development and features. RIM's hold on the corporate world is slipping and HP is getting ready to jumping in and take its place.
    It will have a FIPS approved cryptographic kernel that will allow it to be instantly used in Federal Agencies just like the existing Blackberry phones can. It is a Realtime OS. Their is another article on here about the Military looking at the Playbook and saying that it already meets the security requirements they have, and if the DoD gets behind the platform then it will leapfrog WebOS quickly with federal dollars going to contractors to write apps for it, who will also probably want to put that knowledge/skillset on the commercial side. I'm hopeful that this will happen as it would be huge for Playbooks sales and rapid improvement of the ecosystem. Apple and Android are a lot more desired by people than WebOS and yet have not made a huge dent in the corporate/government space yet because they do not have the security certs required. WebOS doesn't have them either.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-27-11 at 02:26 PM.
    06-27-11 02:14 PM
    If the same reason applies why would anyone buy a blackberry, which is struggling with handsets and apps, and not get Android or iPhone.
    WebOS is still very refreshing and fun to use.
    Personal choice. Just like you choose Web OS others pick iOS or QNX OS. By your implication we should all be using webOS but that wouldn't be personal choice.
    06-27-11 02:17 PM
    Rim's Unix based QNX OS is a microkernal architecture built for RTOS, Web OS is not built along that architecture so handles tasks differently. By having a microkernal architecture it doesn't have to run each process as a whole but instead breaks them down into a series of smaller tasks known as servers. Makes mutlitasking and programing easier.
    I think you need to study up a bit on the differences between a micro kernel and a monolithic kernel. Mosed *nix based OS's (Unix, BSD, Linux) are built on the monolithic kernel design. The only real significant differences are how the two are structured. The micokernel design doesn't make multi-tasking or programming/development any easier over monolithic kernel design. Some would argue that the microkernel design is more structured, but all will concede that monolithic kernel is much more efficient. WebOS is built from the Linux kernel.

[edit]I guess I should also have noted that the practical difference in design with the microkernel concept is rendered moot as the applicable differences it may or may not support is completely lost on its implementation on handheld devices anyway. Unless you're maintaining a server farm for multiple clients.

Web OS will be running off Honeycomb. QNX is its own OS now wholly owned by Rim.
    I don't know where you pulled this out of, but WebOS has no relationship whatsoever to do with Honeycomb.

QNX has the adaptive partitioning makes sure no one app hog too much of the processor power available to you. Simply put if you want to watch a movie another app can't hog more resources to run in the background.
    You've got it backwards. Adaptive partitioning will ensure the movie app does not hog resources of the operating system's required resources. Adaptive Partitioning is a method to ensure high priority processes have resources they need at any given time. Every OS has various task schedulers at their disposal to accomplish this. It's nothing new.

QNX is not a new operating system. It's only new in a tablet form.
    It's new in the manner that (aside from the kernel) the first line of code for the OS layers wasn't written until sometime within the last year, and still isn't complete. BBQNX is not the same as QNX.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-27-11 at 03:15 PM.
    06-27-11 02:53 PM
    I think you need to study up a bit on the differences between a micro kernel and a monolithic kernel. Mosed *nix based OS's (Unix, BSD, Linux) are built on the monolithic kernel design. The only real significant differences are how the two are structured. The micokernel design doesn't make multi-tasking or programming/development any easier over monolithic kernel design. Some would argue that the microkernel design is more structured, but all will concede that monolithic kernel is much more efficient. WebOS is built from the Linux kernel.

[edit]I guess I should also have noted that the practical difference in design with the microkernel concept is rendered moot as the applicable differences it may or may not support is completely lost on its implementation on handheld devices anyway. Unless you're maintaining a server farm for multiple clients.

I don't know where you pulled this out of, but WebOS has no relationship whatsoever to do with Honeycomb.

You've got it backwards. Adaptive partitioning will ensure the movie app does not hog resources of the operating system's required resources. Adaptive Partitioning is a method to ensure high priority processes have resources they need at any given time. Every OS has various task schedulers at their disposal to accomplish this. It's nothing new.

It's new in the manner that (aside from the kernel) the first line of code for the OS layers wasn't written until sometime within the last year, and still isn't complete. BBQNX is not the same as QNX.
    Not sure where I read that the HP Touchpad was running Android Honeycomb... I'm sure I read it somewhere??! smh

As for nonolithic vs microkernal here is a link with more tech details but read the final paragraph 3.3.2 and the conclusion in draws on the QNX and L4 microkernals. http://www.vmars.tuwien.ac.at/course..._04ss_Roch.pdf

I can't find anywhere what Web OS is based upon if it's L4 or as I'm thinking you're saying it's a monolithic system... again I could be wrong in my interpretation.

If as you say QNX is not new because the first line of code for the OS wasn't written until sometime within the last year than I would say the same can apply to HP Web OS because I'm sure the new webOS is nothing like the incarnation of Palm OS.

However, be that it may, with HP there will now be 4 systems to choose from. Yay for the consumers!
    Last edited by Snick Snack; 06-27-11 at 06:55 PM.
    06-27-11 06:52 PM
    So is Android. iOS OTOH is based on the MACH micro kernal like its desktop sibling OS X.
    06-27-11 07:52 PM
    Not sure where I read that the HP Touchpad was running Android Honeycomb... I'm sure I read it somewhere??! smh
    This is the funniest line I have read, could you give me the link where you read it.
    Btw I read Playbook is having iOS in the next version, I read it somewhere, may be in Apple forum.
    06-28-11 12:33 AM
    Web OS and QNX OS are two different beasts. Just because they look alike visually doesn't mean they are alike structurally.

It's like saying a Ferrari and a Ford looks alike because they're both cars, have two doors, four wheels and and a motor. Or that the iPhone and BB are the same because they're both smartphones.

Could you explain the same concept to the average Joe, who will think Playbook OS and WebOS are the same. Try convincing the different OS structure point to an average consumer.

Are you saying RIM is a ferrari or a ford but the example was totally absurd.
    Even though Ferrari and Ford have the same design they are not identical cars but here Playbook OS and WebOS are identical.
    The minute you wrote WebOS will be running off Honeycomb, I just stop reading from there, a RIM supporter will blindly support anything which RIM makes and not understand the competition, the same mistake, which the RIM CEO's are making.

By September when HP releases a 7inch Touchpad version for $399, it would be very difficult for RIM to market Playbook at $499 price.
    06-28-11 01:18 AM
    HP touch pad will run off ice cream sandwich.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 05:33 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD