I found this article from PCmag online, not sure if everyone has already found this but I think it has a to of truth to it and is a strong reason why I believe that RIM will continue to have a strong presence in the US and provide ample time for the consumer half to "catch up."

pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390526,00.asp
    08-05-11 11:47 PM
    Here is the article:

While I respect our new Editor-in-Chief Dan Costa's decision to decline his inheritance�former Editor-in-Chief Lance Ulanoff's Blackberry�his refusal to use a company-issued phone that's already configured to work within IT's infrastructure exemplifies the ongoing support nightmare IT is currently facing when employees want to use personal devices in the office. Dan's objections aside, RIM remains a solid choice for businesses with its tablets and smartphones. For IT infrastructures, particularly those who must adhere to rigid corporate or government-mandated compliance requirements, the BlackBerry ecosystem is unmatched in security and manageability for smartphones�and, yes, tablets (thanks to the Playbook).
    The Apple Effect
    My position in no way denigrates the obvious competition, the iOS and Android platforms. While Apple's iPhone and iPad in particular are being used in clever, creative ways by business (largely, I would argue, by smaller businesses), Apple does not need to cater to enterprise because its consumer base is so huge. Of course, Apple makes business products; the Mac mini server and now, the OS X Lion Server. However, those products are targeted more for the SMB sector or businesses that are all-Apple shops. For example, Apple recommends the Mac mini server for workgroups of up to 50 people. Apple's enterprise offering, the rack unit Xserve servers, have been discontinued. While the Mac Pro server takes XServe's place, it's easy to see that Apple's real efforts in the space are squarely behind the Mac mini.
    Android
    Android smartphones, like Apple devices, have a loyal, dedicated following. Yet support, updates and apps are at the whims of so many parties�Google, smartphone carriers, and third-party app developers�that business IT is leery to adopt them. The variations among the Android phones make them a challenge for IT to support as well. Why? Look no further than the recent Android 2.2 debacle. Google released the Froyo update, which extended functionality and addressed some issues in the prior Android OS. While some handsets got the update, other users waited painfully long for the release. Sony Ericsson stated outright at one point that the Xperia X10 would not be upgraded to Froyo, but was forced to change its position due to the outcry from customers, eventually going all the way to Gingerbread.
    Imagine what a tremendous support problem such a fragmented upgrade process would bring if an IT department were to allow users to bring all of the various types of Android phones into the network? Even if IT deployed one specific Android phone, on one specific carrier to employees, what would happen if that phone, on that carrier, was one of the ones that never got upgraded?
    Windows Phone 7 would, at first glance, appear to be a strong alternative for business because of Windows' dominance in the enterprise. But that's not the case. My partner has a Windows Phone 7 device and, while he is a fan, I am amazed by how enmeshed the device is with Microsoft's consumer offerings. It heavily integrates with Xbox and requires Zune for multimedia file management. Windows Phone 7's target is clearly the consumer.
    That leaves us with RIM. Yes, Blackberry is losing status as a cool and sexy device, but cool and sexy is not what IT needs. The constant attention on the enterprise that RIM delivers is what business needs. A few examples of RIM's dead-on enterprise focus:
    E-mail: Like it or not, most businesses run Microsoft Exchange for corporate communications. Apple has made great strides in making iOS compatible with Exchange servers. Yet issues still crop up when the iPhone's operating system gets updated. When iOS 4 debuted last year, iPhones running iOS4 had problems speaking with Exchange Active Sync Recently, a problem was discovered with iOS 5 and Exchange Active Sync policies that were configured to require storage encryption, a security setting that some businesses must deploy.
    Android also supports Exchange, but the wide variety of handsets, each by the carriers, each with custom interface skins, result in a platform with no uniform across-the-board experience. Third-party apps, which are often used to make Exchange and Android work in near-perfect unison, are cause for IT headaches. Apps can sometimes break with OS updates. Lone or small groups of developers who create the apps may not have the resources to provide enterprise-level support.
    With BlackBerry Enterprise Server, RIM has an extensive history in Exchange support. BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 is fully certified to work with Exchange 2010 and comes with full technical support services, which is critical for IT. With full support, IT has an almost guarantee of faster turnaround time for solution of any BlackBerry problems, and RIM can be held accountable if they don't deliver as promised.
    I predict Office 365 eventually unseating on-premises Microsoft software, especially hosted Exchange Server. RIM must foresee this as well, because the company already has made provisions for Office 365 support. In March, RIM announced a new hosted BlackBerry service for Office 365.

Security: To date, RIM's PlayBook tablet is the only tablet to have Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance. FIPS is mandatory for devices used by the U.S. government. BlackBerry also addresses HIPPA compliance, publishing a detailed whitepaper. Yale University conducted an interesting study concluding that the BlackBerry was indeed HIPAA compliant (when used with BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Exchange). The institution declared the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad HIPAA compliant as well when used with Exchange. Android, on the other hand, lacks compliance, according to the study. BlackBerry has a good reputation when it comes to secure communications.
    IT Management: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) is all about giving control to IT. It allows organizations to granularly manage BlackBerry devices, set policies, and perform remote wipes in a way that iOS and Android just can't match natively. Sure, there are a host of third-party apps that offer varying levels of IT control over iPhones and Androids, but searching, for example, through the over 250,00 Androids apps that can deliver tools IT needs is time-consuming. Implementing them can be a potential security risk if they are coded poorly. BES offers those controls out of the box.
    Enterprise focus: BlackBerry's website has a thriving, frequently updated blog dedicated to the enterprise. Not only is that a good sign of its business-focus, but the blog offers a lot of information for businesses, including good posts for smaller businesses detailing how they can grow with BlackBerry.
    Apple's consumer-oriented smartphone strategy is hard to rebut. But that doesn't mean that other vendors have to imitate it to succeed. BlackBerry has had great success with the opposite strategy; a focus on the enterprise. What BlackBerry does best is not instantly revealed in user experience�what's gold is the under-the-hood security and management. BlackBerry is considered stodgy, and so it should remain. What it delivers for business is important. Hopefully, RIM marketers, panting at the success of Apple, won't steer BlackBerry from its biggest fan base: IT. Frankly, RIM can't beat Apple at its own game. But that's fine. We can love our Androids and iPhone when we're off the clock, but, in the office, BlackBerry is still tops.
    08-06-11 04:47 AM
    Not a bad read. People normally forget that RIM is focused on high security, and in the areas where RIM is known for, they excel.

To date, I have yet to see a better e-mail platform, BBM is arguably still the best, security is second to none, and BBs last a lot. Mine is already at 24 months, and only the battery has suffered.
    08-06-11 05:02 AM
    Not a bad read. People normally forget that RIM is focused on high security, and in the areas where RIM is known for, they excel.

To date, I have yet to see a better e-mail platform, BBM is arguably still the best, security is second to none, and BBs last a lot. Mine is already at 24 months, and only the battery has suffered.
    I agree, and I still see blackberry primarily as a work phone. A phone where you can have things done!
    When I compare my blackberry with my brother's Iphone, I have to admid he have some cool apps, and cool games that he can play. But the mails, texting, calendar (although I preferred the one in OS 5) are way better on my blackberry.
    08-06-11 05:12 AM

I couldn't agree more and I have an iPhone for a personal device, but I rarely use all of the extra apps. I use it for email, texting and occasionally a few personal apps such as FB, bank accounts ect. All things which the BB can do and in some cases do much better. True all of the games aren't there and I do enjoy the occasional angry birds to kill time. But its just that, the things the iPhone have to offer, don't really add up to why I need the device. Kind of like "heated front seats" its nice to have but thats not why you bought the car.

I look forward to returning a more practical phone as soon as the 9930 is released. I email, text and occasionally use the net. The 9930 is the best for that purpose, in that order.
    08-06-11 08:30 AM
    It occurs to me that if this forum were predominantly a business forum, the tone of the messages would be completely opposite of what exists now: Instead of general consumers complaining about the lack of flashy new phones and special-interest apps, the business users would be decrying the lack of business integration, security, conformity, and configurability of the non-BlackBerry devices and staying away from them in droves.

RIM still rocks the corporate world in a way that no other platform can match.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-06-11 10:11 AM
    The way I see it is Blackberry needs to continue their marketing in the conference rooms of large corporations because this is the only leg they have left to stand on. The problem is (as you can tell by the article) the execs/employees of these corps will do anything to get their BB out of their pocket so they can have a phone that manages their personal life as well, outside the control of a corporate server.

Think about it, for those of you who have a BB ran through your companies exchange server your one click of the key away from your pissed off boss deleting everything in your phone. Personally I prefer to have an unbiased party having control of my information where my company has no control over ie Google services.
    08-06-11 11:21 AM
    The way I see it is Blackberry needs to continue their marketing in the conference rooms of large corporations because this is the only leg they have left to stand on. The problem is (as you can tell by the article) the execs/employees of these corps will do anything to get their BB out of their pocket so they can have a phone that manages their personal life as well, outside the control of a corporate server.

Think about it, for those of you who have a BB ran through your companies exchange server your one click of the key away from your pissed off boss deleting everything in your phone. Personally I prefer to have an unbiased party having control of my information where my company has no control over ie Google services.

Thus the beauty of where they are going. They are creating a new eco-system that can manage both efficiently and securely.

The BB can be a very good consumer device. They have recognized this and moving that way, while still being the perfect corporate device. They just need to do it a little faster...

I do love this article because they basically **** on the other writer. When I read the first article I thought "This is a really ballsy move for a new employee." If I was his superior I would definitely reprimand him. Disrespectful and uncalled for. Workers don't dictate decisions made within a company. There are people in power for a reason.
    southlander likes this.
    08-06-11 02:14 PM
    I couldn't agree more and I have an iPhone for a personal device, but I rarely use all of the extra apps. I use it for email, texting and occasionally a few personal apps such as FB, bank accounts ect. All things which the BB can do and in some cases do much better. True all of the games aren't there and I do enjoy the occasional angry birds to kill time. But its just that, the things the iPhone have to offer, don't really add up to why I need the device. Kind of like "heated front seats" its nice to have but thats not why you bought the car.
    So we're clear, you bought an iPhone for yourself, even though a BB would be a better device based on your own experience? That just doesn't make any sense. . . why not just buy a BlackBerry? I hear what you're saying about future models, but if the BB is better right now, why would you bother sticking with an iPhone?
    08-06-11 02:54 PM
    So we're clear, you bought an iPhone for yourself, even though a BB would be a better device based on your own experience? That just doesn't make any sense. . . why not just buy a BlackBerry? I hear what you're saying about future models, but if the BB is better right now, why would you bother sticking with an iPhone?
    Probably because up until now there haven't been any new devices and some people want a nice camera. Plus there is no sense in not trying out other platforms.

After doing so he has come to the conclusion that he prefers BB and will probably get one of the new devices.
    08-06-11 05:54 PM
    Of course bb is the easiest route for IT solutions. Sticking to what you already have is always the easiest solution, these issues will only increase over time, people don't want to carry 2 devices, and consumers have clearly shown they don't want bb as a personal device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 06:23 PM
    Of course bb is the easiest route for IT solutions. Sticking to what you already have is always the easiest solution, these issues will only increase over time, people don't want to carry 2 devices, and consumers have clearly shown they don't want bb as a personal device.

did you read the well written reason WHY it is good for IT? not just because it is the status quo
    08-06-11 08:53 PM

So people will get down to carrying one phone. So the question is will iOS and/or Android and/or other players get their security, management and business capabilities up to snuff or will Blackberry get their Web, Media and App capabilities up to snuff first? Should be an interesting race. We know that the QNX handsets will be FIPS approved Day 1 of release because any ARMv7 processor based systems running the QNX Neutrino 6.6 and version 5.6 of the Crypto Kernel is automatically FIPS approved under the awarded certificate.
    08-06-11 09:21 PM
    So people will get down to carrying one phone. So the question is will iOS and/or Android and/or other players get their security, management and business capabilities up to snuff or will Blackberry get their Web, Media and App capabilities up to snuff first? Should be an interesting race. We know that the QNX handsets will be FIPS approved Day 1 of release because any ARMv7 processor based systems running the QNX Neutrino 6.6 and version 5.6 of the Crypto Kernel is automatically FIPS approved under the awarded certificate.
    The Smart phone race is worth watching now, especially after the pending suit against HTC via Apple

Sent from my ADR6300
    08-06-11 09:31 PM
    Probably because up until now there haven't been any new devices and some people want a nice camera. Plus there is no sense in not trying out other platforms.

After doing so he has come to the conclusion that he prefers BB and will probably get one of the new devices.
    But this isn't about new devices. He didn't claim that future BBs would be better; he claimed BBs were better generally.

As for the camera argument, I hear you, but he didn't mention anything about a camera. In fact, he never explained how he decided to buy an iPhone, just that he had.
    08-07-11 12:35 AM
    I think sometimes people forget that if your company gives you a phone, it's not a personal phone, it's a company phone. The fact they don't like the lockdown or the lack of apps is of no consequence to the company; it's not why they gave you the phone in the first place.
    08-07-11 02:27 AM
    But this isn't about new devices. He didn't claim that future BBs would be better; he claimed BBs were better generally.

As for the camera argument, I hear you, but he didn't mention anything about a camera. In fact, he never explained how he decided to buy an iPhone, just that he had.
    "I look forward to returning a more practical phone as soon as the 9930 is released. I email, text and occasionally use the net. The 9930 is the best for that purpose, in that order."

I felt as though he was implying it. He obviously said in the post that the iphone does certain things well. But not others. He wants the 9930 because it offers the email, texting etc that BB is known for but has all of the new features that the iphone has.
    08-07-11 10:41 AM
    I felt as though he was implying it. He obviously said in the post that the iphone does certain things well.
    A lot of things were implied, but it's almost always better to actually state them.

He wants the 9930 because it offers the email, texting etc that BB is known for but has all of the new features that the iphone has.
    This isn't true; there isn't 100% feature overlap in either direction. BBs have Messenger and great security; iPhones have iTunes, high res displays, etc. I don't see BBs ever having iTunes or anything like it; and I don't see iPhones ever being known for security. They are different products aimed at different groups.
    08-07-11 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD