I am less than 2 months out from going "down range". Currently, I am with Alltel, and believe it would best for me to switch to Verizon. The reason I say so is, Verizon has current phones that will work internationally (strongly thinking Bold 9650), and the status of Alltel's business future here in Montana is unknown. I don't want to deal with the AT&T switchover while I'm overseas. It is also somewhat important to me to keep my current phone number.

So, I'm trying to get input on the best way of going about this. All right, Option 1: Do I pay the early contract termination fee to Alltel so my phone number is freed up and just go to Verizon now? Or, Option 2: do I sign up with Verizon and change my current Alltel plan to the cheapest possible (thus negating my ability to keep my phone number but saving money)? Or, is there a way to free up my phone number and still do option 2?

Thanks in advance CB'ers,

Nick
    07-22-10 08:07 PM
    First off, gods speed over there and thank you for for your service and sacrifice.
    Now, to the phone. Isn't Alltel owned by Verizon now? I would call and look into that. To switch to Verizon should be no issue. Second, no matter what you do you will not lose your number. If you do have to cancel your contract, just port your number out to which ever carrier you decide to go with. This will automatically cancel your contract with Alltel.

Good luck.
    07-22-10 08:24 PM
    Alltel in Montana is supposed to turn in to AT&T, but who knows when this is gonna happen, which is part of the reason I don't want to stay with Alltel anymore.

Also, are you saying that if I sign up with Verizon, while I still have a contract with Alltel, and port my number it will automatically cancel my Alltel contract?

Is there a way to tell Alltel to change my number, then sign up for Verizon and have my "old" number ported?
    07-22-10 10:56 PM
    I looked at verizon before I went on my second tour in Iraq and it is very expensive with almost no service. I just bought an iraqi cell phone and an international calling card and worked wonders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 11:17 PM
    Also, are you saying that if I sign up with Verizon, while I still have a contract with Alltel, and port my number it will automatically cancel my Alltel contract?

Is there a way to tell Alltel to change my number, then sign up for Verizon and have my "old" number ported?

Yes. Porting your number out will automitically cancel your Alltel contract. No, once you change your number, to the best of my knowledge, you lose your old number. The best way to go is just go to Verizon, with your Alltel account info, start a new contract and port your number in.
    07-23-10 07:56 AM
    I looked at verizon before I went on my second tour in Iraq and it is very expensive with almost no service. I just bought an iraqi cell phone and an international calling card and worked wonders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is by far the cheapest way. You probably won't have too much time anyways.

Does anyone know how Google Voice would work like this? You could use a pre-paid phone and use a Google Voice # to get a little better rates I would think.

Google Voice before it went public offered expedited invites to military members if you could provide an e-mail address from a .mil e-mail. This makes me feel like there is a benefit to using it overseas. Its too early in the morning right for me to think of one though lol.
    07-23-10 08:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD