I was in the market for a new iPod... I had just sold my old and outdated iPod Nano (2 GB, 1st Gen.) for close to 65 (with shipping) on eBay. I knew I wanted the touch, but I was tempted to search for an iPhone (just out of curiosity). Most prices were astronomical at the time (because the 1st Gen. is the only version that is going to be able to be hacked), but I made a deal for 300 (minus the money I made) so it was close to 250.

Upon receiving the phone, I hacked it (activate, jailbreak, and unlock) to be able to use for T-Mobile just in case of emergency. So I put my sim in to test it, and started to download apps and customize my iPhone (it was extremely weird at first). So far, I have come to love it and I'm not sure if I can transition to my CrackBerry again. Here's why:

-WiFi (my Pearl did not have this and I wasn't eligible for an upgrade for a while)
    - Amazing 3.5 inch screen
    - Music player (I love music and its so convenient to be able to carry all of it with me)
    - The internet (no need to elaborate)
    - A plethora of FREE programs including:
    * A program that blocks ads on safari
    * A program that allows me to take videos
    * A program that allows me to download youtube videos right to the phone
    * A program that allows me to listen to all of my sirius radio channels!!
    * Many games (Soduku, Helicopter game, Tetris, BlackJack, Poker, Slots, etc.)
    * A program that allows me to sketch
    * A program that emulates a piano
    * A program that uses WiFi and Cell service to triangulate my location (usually within half a mile)... much more accurate then the Berry.
    *iTunes
    * A program that allows me to control my computer (kind of acts as a mouse if you want it to) and my music playing (has remote control features)
    Really, I could list a hundred more great programs.

I can only gripe about two things... No BBM and the typing. Now, SureType was awesome, I loved it. But I must say just like the BB, if you play with it long enough, the typing comes easy.

The iPhone has been such a great device so far, that I can't find a reason to go back to BrickBreaker and the boring mobile versions of websites. I know going to the iPhone is the cardinal sin, so someone try and convince me on why I shouldn't leave!
    07-02-08 09:49 PM
    It is all personal preference. I am really glad you are happy with your iPhone!!

I think the iPhone is an amazing device with a ton of benefits and nice features!! The one and only thing that kills it for me is the lack of QWERTY keyboard. I know a QWERTY would defeat the purpose, but the talks of the new slider iPhone make me giddy! haha

And... I wish it was not ATT exclusive in the US!
    07-02-08 09:53 PM
    If you love it you should keep it. Enjoy!
    07-02-08 09:55 PM
    I had an iPhone and loved it, but the feeling of love wore off quick and I just don't like mine anymore, but enjoy yours!
    07-02-08 09:59 PM
    I too am looking at the iPhone, even though I like my Curve way way more than my old Treo. Not so happy with Verizon anymore either. Pending availibility, I'm hoping to switch to the iPhone toward the end of July (hoping Apple realizes the large demand and isn't backordered for months). If I like it cool, if not the Bold should be out by then to come to my rescue within the 30 days. =P
    07-02-08 10:02 PM
    It is all personal preference. I am really glad you are happy with your iPhone!!

I think the iPhone is an amazing device with a ton of benefits and nice features!! The one and only thing that kills it for me is the lack of QWERTY keyboard. I know a QWERTY would defeat the purpose, but the talks of the new slider iPhone make me giddy! haha

And... I wish it was not ATT exclusive in the US!
    Although it is only meant for AT&T, the first generation can be easily tampered with for use on any GSM carrier. I was hoping for some more encouraging answers. I love my Blackberry, especially the CrackBerry community, but the iPhone is sweet!!
    07-02-08 10:03 PM
    Go with what you like I personally would never make the move love the pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 10:03 PM
    If you really truly love something you shouldn't need to be encouraged to stick with it. Just a thought...
    Last edited by miss_michelle; 07-02-08 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
    07-02-08 10:04 PM
    IMO the iPhone is great if you like multimedia, but the Curve is simply a better phone when it comes to being a phone/PDA/messenger.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone because I have a better mp3 player than any iPod (asides from capacity), I prefer using a real computer when it comes to going on the Internet, and I like a QWERTY keyboard when it comes to messaging people via email/SMS/IM or using PDA features like the calendar.
    07-02-08 10:34 PM
    IMO the iPhone is great if you like multimedia, but the Curve is simply a better phone when it comes to being a phone/PDA/messenger.
    I agree with you 100%. I had an iPhone, twice, but keep coming back to curves. I missed the 3rd party software that's makes my bb really useful. I have a hard time functioning without todomatrix and chatting using aim/yahoo/googletalk. And while 3rd party apps are coming to 2.0 iPhone. They won't compare to bb as apple won't let them run in the background. So no chatting and no reminders to finish all my tasks!

But use what makes you happy and you can always change your mind and try something else.

07-02-08 10:48 PM
    to each their own. as long as you're happy
    07-02-08 10:50 PM
    I agree with you 100%. I had an iPhone, twice, but keep coming back to curves. I missed the 3rd party software that's makes my bb really useful. I have a hard time functioning without todomatrix and chatting using aim/yahoo/googletalk. And while 3rd party apps are coming to 2.0 iPhone. They won't compare to bb as apple won't let them run in the background. So no chatting and no reminders to finish all my tasks!

But use what makes you happy and you can always change your mind and try something else.

First of all the iPhone has about 5 native IM clients designed for jailbroken software, all of which can run in the background. One of them, which I am demo-ing (not for beta) can even use VOIP and make use of a user's skype account. And all of them are so visually pleasing

And yes, there are programs like RemindYou and IntelliScreen (amazingness-- described as the 'lock screen on steriods') similar to ToDoMatrix.
    07-02-08 10:54 PM
    First of all the iPhone has about 5 native IM clients designed for jailbroken software, all of which can run in the background. One of them, which I am demo-ing (not for beta) can even use VOIP and make use of a user's skype account. And all of them are so visually pleasing

And yes, there are programs like RemindYou and IntelliScreen (amazingness-- described as the 'lock screen on steriods') similar to ToDoMatrix.
    At the time all I could find was Apollo and another one which I can't remember the name of. And they were supposed to work in the background, but they would never stay connected. Also they simply didn't have the functionality of something like jivetalk. I have no doubt that in the near future they will have something better, but right now for me they just don't work. Plus I refuse to pay for apps that apple could break at anytime with their next update. But I am certainly not afraid of an ETF to switch and try again

But I think the next big thing for iPhone 2.0 will be games. This could be the killer app(s) for the iPhone. If I was into games I might just have hung around for the firmware update this month. The racing demo that used the iPhone's accelorametors (sp?), was simply amazing. Even though there was no sound. I have a feeling there are going to be some really good games coming out.
    Last edited by brinky; 07-02-08 at 11:20 PM.
    07-02-08 11:04 PM
    To each his own but this guy is stickin with RIM Enjoy the iPhone
    07-02-08 11:06 PM
    At the time all I could find was Apollo and another one which I can't remember the name of. And they were supposed to work in the background, but they would never stay connected. Also they simply didn't have the functionality of something like jivetalk. I have no doubt that in the near future they will have something better, but right now for me they just don't work. And I am certainly not afraid of an ETF to switch and try again

But I think the next big thing for iPhone 2.0 will be games. This could be the killer app(s) for the iPhone. If I was into games I might just have hung around for the firmware update this month. The racing demo that used the iPhone's accelorametors (sp?), was simply amazing. Even though there was no sound. I have a feeling there are going to be some really good games coming out.
    Apollo is regarded as the least intuitive instant messaging application. The top two, AgileMessenger (yes the same one as BlackBerry) and Fring exceed Jive Talk on any device (JiveTalk is offered for free on the iPhone.

And the games that are out now are tremendous... iPhone 2.0 will be great, I just dont think I can update for a while because I am T-Mobile
    07-02-08 11:17 PM
    I like both phones I have. Both have strong points that make them great.

07-02-08 11:26 PM
    My iPhone sucks. Can't receive mms, emailed ringtones need to be converted to work on it, I can't replace the crappy battery without taking the whole thing apart, no keyboard, no fun without jailbreak and the posibility of bricking it. No thanks, it will continue to collect dust on my desk.

07-02-08 11:37 PM
    My iPhone sucks. Can't receive mms, emailed ringtones need to be converted to work on it, I can't replace the crappy battery without taking the whole thing apart, no keyboard, no fun without jailbreak and the posibility of bricking it. No thanks, it will continue to collect dust on my desk.

Honestly, the phone's not the special if its not hacked-- however, with the hack one can do a multitude of things... including sending mms
    07-03-08 12:21 AM
    I don't like AT&T and i don't like the price of an iPhone. You can't get any deals on them. I got my 8320 Curve brand new for free after rebate. I don't see why you can't get an iTouch and have a BB too. The iTouch is the same as an iPhone but it doesn't have the phone part. That's what i would do if i had the money.
    07-03-08 02:10 AM
    I def miss mines.It just seemed so much better in a simple mind state imo.
    07-03-08 02:19 AM
    I def miss mines.It just seemed so much better in a simple mind state imo.
    Wait, so you still have your iPhone? Or did you go back to the Curve?
    07-03-08 08:45 AM
    Good for you and the I phone, hope you are happy together.
    07-03-08 08:50 AM
    Top 10 Reasons Why the iPhone is STILL NO BlackBerry! | CrackBerry.com

you can put your boots in the oven but it still dont make 'em biscuits!
    07-03-08 08:55 AM
    I am an Iphone hater.

07-03-08 08:57 AM
    If you need to be talked out of switching to the iphone.. Then you definitely need to give up your Berry and go ahead and switch to the iphone...

07-03-08 09:07 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD