I am curious.. i am headed to Canada today and i am wondering if any of my services will work over there without me getting a rediculous bill... I am with VZW(the Red Devil) they love finding ways to charge you extra.. Now i know that if i make a call or use my Data.. I will be rediculously charged.. What i am curious about is if plain TXT messages or BBMs will get thru without extra charges.. Anyone with any info on the matter.. it is greatly appreciated.. I have my Data already set to be off when roaming.. also i switched my Phones network selection Mode to Home Only instead of Auto.. Anything eles i should do to make certian that i won't come home to a nasty surprise?
    01-19-10 12:03 PM
    You will get charged roaming if you use your data here. You will also probably get charged for Intl Texting if you text while you're here as well. I know that's how it works when I come down to America

If you set your phone up to not use data then you will have no worries.
    01-19-10 12:26 PM
    I went to Canada for a few days in December (I'm also with VZW). For an extra $20/mo, they will swith your plan to "Nationwide + Canada" so none of your phone calls will cost you extra. Also, they can prorate that for you so that you only pay for that extra plan for the days that you want it (in other words, you can switch back to the normal "Nationwide" plan as soon as you come back to the States).

A word of caution, though: the Canada plan is only for phone calls. Your data service will still be roaming and you will be charge a pretty large fee for that, so unless you're will to pay the extra dough (they charge per MB, but I don't remember the rate, except that it would amount to a pretty large bill with a smartphone), you will want to switch off your data service or at least change your phone settings so that data service will be off while roaming.

From what they told me, VZW does not offer a "data roaming" service for such a trip.

-SR-
    01-19-10 12:41 PM
    You will get charged roaming if you use your data here. You will also probably get charged for Intl Texting if you text while you're here as well. I know that's how it works when I come down to America

If you set your phone up to not use data then you will have no worries.
    Oh and, yes, txt will cost you extra, too, even if you already have a txt plan.

-SR-
    01-19-10 12:43 PM
    Also another thing to note is that BBM uses data, so you will be charged data roaming charges if you use it.
    01-19-10 12:55 PM
    thank you folks... will just be shutting her down then while in Canada... no need to get ripped for 3 days in canada..
    01-19-10 01:22 PM
    My suggestion would be to leave it on and turn off your service. Test out how much the battery will drain just sitting there doing nothing while you're up here.

I did that with my Storm when I first got it and went to the US and it lasted 10+ days before I needed to charge it again. And there was still 20% left.

Just something interesting to try.
    01-19-10 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD