5 Million Gmail Usernames and Passwords Leaked - Freedom Hacker

It appears there has been some gmail trouble... anyone know how they got millions of passwords?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 05:28 PM
    oh no...not again! I hate having to change my password...
    09-10-14 05:48 PM
    The compromised other websites such as forums that used your email as a login and listed that forum PW in the list. People many times use the same PWs all the time so its useful even if Gmail wasn't breached.

Mashable has a good article on it.
    09-10-14 05:50 PM
    security is not a priority eh.
    09-10-14 05:52 PM
    security is not a priority eh.
    This wasn't a Google leak, this was purely a user-level issue. People used the same password for Gmail as they used on other websites (along with their Gmail address), and when someone hacked the other website, all they had to do was plug in the very same password and see if it logged them into Google.

This could have just as easily happened to BB if people used the same email on their BB as they used for some other website. But people are lazy, and want to use the same password for everything. This is why you don't do that.

My Gmail password is unique to Gmail, plus I have 2-factor authentication. Good luck "hacking" my account.
    mornhavon likes this.
    09-10-14 06:43 PM
    man I don't even remember my gmail passwords as I have it filtered to one acct lol. but I do have 2-factor on every single account so meh
    09-10-14 06:48 PM
    Stopped using Gmail because of spam so they can have their fill of spam all they want. Also have had people set up accounts on Netflix, Spotify, and other sites with my Gmail. I'm so over it.
    09-10-14 08:18 PM
    Stopped using Gmail because of spam so they can have their fill of spam all they want. Also have had people set up accounts on Netflix, Spotify, and other sites with my Gmail. I'm so over it.
    You know why that is because those people are using like as.white@ and gmail doesn't differentiate the period. Two people keep using one of my accounts and I make it my mission to cancel everything they have done. I literally could hop in the car and go visit them personally with all the information I've had emailed to me regarding them. Right now I'm in the process of cancelling an ebay account.
    09-10-14 08:39 PM
    You know why that is because those people are using like as.white@ and gmail doesn't differentiate the period. Two people keep using one of my accounts and I make it my mission to cancel everything they have done. I literally could hop in the car and go visit them personally with all the information I've had emailed to me regarding them. Right now I'm in the process of cancelling an ebay account.
    Ouch!

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-11-14 12:48 AM
    2 step verification is worth it's weight in gold.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    09-11-14 12:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    How does that work with Gmail on my Z10?

Z10
    09-12-14 12:01 PM
    Yes, Gmail does not support the dot (.) in usernames. But that's not what causes you to see other people's email. Simply because if somebody even tried to create a gmail account using dots/periods, they're already parsed out upon creation. ie.. if your gmail account is [email protected], somebody else cannot create a [email protected] account. In fact, you as the owner of [email protected] already own [email protected] and any other variation of using dots/periods in the username. So you could use [email protected] on all your business cards and online subscriptions, since it belongs to you.

The reason you get other people's email is a much simpler reason, gmail has a ton of users. Gmail has around a half billion monthly active users, and given that large of a pool, some users are just too stupid to remember to give out their accurate email address. Chances are rather good that a new gmail user will typically append a numerical value to the end of their username. So taking the above example... since you have [email protected] already, every Penelope Laura Hewitt, Patrick Lewis Hewitt, Patricia Louise Hewitt, etc.. will try to use plhewitt, it's not available, so they settle on something like [email protected]. But then later forget to include the "69" when giving out their email address or subscribing to a service online.

Myself personally, I receive emails intended for so many Rebeccas and Roberts that share my same last name it's not even funny. Occasionally I've been able to track them down (if the email provides enough clues to actually find out who they are) and point out that I'm receiving sensitive documents intended for them. And while they've been appreciative for my efforts, now more often than not I'll just ignore them. If they're still unable to pay attention to their correct email address, then that's on them. One time I had a series of emails which were responses to job resumes... and I just decided that if a person can't even put their correct email address on a resume, then they deserve to sit and wonder why they're not getting any hits.
    3Dee likes this.
    09-12-14 12:31 PM
    How does that work with Gmail on my Z10?

Z10
    It will prompt you for the pin number when you add your account.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 05:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Absolutely. A hacker can have your username and password, but still can't access your account. I suppose with enough time, resources, and know-how, just about anything can be hacked. But 2 step verification stops a lot of these common hacks. Don't be the low hanging fruit for hackers.
    09-15-14 09:05 AM
    Yes. Absolutely. A hacker can have your username and password, but still can't access your account. I suppose with enough time, resources, and know-how, just about anything can be hacked. But 2 step verification stops a lot of these common hacks. Don't be the low hanging fruit for hackers.
    I love two step verification. I wish my online banking used something similar.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-15-14 11:11 PM