I am currently using gmail through BIS as POP. I have the filters setup correctly to where I do not receive my sent emails twice on the BB.

The problem I am having is when I read an email on BB, it still shows up as new or "unread" on the web. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks!
    08-14-08 03:53 PM
    Try changing your settings. From messages, hit menu>options>email reconcilliation. Change to Handheld wins. I *think* that will work.

Then again, I've been wrong before. Horribly wrong.
    08-14-08 03:57 PM
    That is not a feature that is truly supported by GMail, yet. Now, with Yahoo/YMail it comes as standard...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 04:01 PM
    That is not a feature that is truly supported by GMail, yet. Now, with Yahoo/YMail it comes as standard...

That was the answer I was expecting. I am curious as to how many people switched to yahoo from gmail once they got a Blackberry.

I might go back to using the gmail app. I just hate how long it takes to notify me of new mail.
    08-14-08 04:03 PM
    Try changing your settings. From messages, hit menu>options>email reconcilliation. Change to Handheld wins. I *think* that will work.

Then again, I've been wrong before. Horribly wrong.
    Yes that is correct!

BIS and using gmail as POP is only a one way push. If you setup your reconciliation like the example above, any time you read or delete your email on your BB it will show as being read or delete from Gmail. If you delete or read email on your PC whether it be gmail/outlook/any other email client you will still get it on your blackberry and it will not show up as being read or deleted. I hope that answers your question.
    08-14-08 04:08 PM
    I changed to handheld wins but it still did not update the email to "read" on the web.

If it only worked either way (one way push) I guess it would still be a problem anyway.

Thanks for the help so far!
    08-14-08 04:12 PM
    I changed to handheld wins but it still did not update the email to "read" on the web.

If it only worked either way (one way push) I guess it would still be a problem anyway.

Thanks for the help so far!
    You're being given incorrect info, sorry guys...

You'll never get e-mail to show as read through POP, no matter how many settings you change on your BB; you need to use IMAP. POP only grabs mail from the server, and that's the END of it. IMAP actually synchronizes the folder, so that if you read a message on your phone, it will show up as read in your gmail inbox.

Beware when using gmail with IMAP though, it's slow as christmas. Takes a few minutes to send the message to you, and then when you read it, it takes a few minutes to show as read in your gmail inbox.

But with that being said, that's the only way you'll be able to do what you're asking.

PS. here is another one of the shortcomings of IMAP with gmail: it will not synchronize the sent folder, so you'll have to set up a work-around for that if you want your sent messages saved in you gmail account rather than on your phone
    Last edited by cire0309; 08-14-08 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add something...
    08-14-08 05:47 PM
    (thank goodness I put "think" in asterisks above)... sounds like my "handheld wins" answer was crapola. thanks for the info, cire.
    08-14-08 05:49 PM
    You can get read status to sync if you configure BIS to use IMAP instead of POP3, but then you'll lose the immediate push, since IMAP uses a 15 minute polling cycle (or less, depending on mailbox activity). Beware though, the when using IMAP, mail deleted "on mailbox and handheld" via your handheld will be archived in the Gmail message store, and not deleted.
    08-14-08 05:51 PM
    Sorry for the bad info on the read part. I thought that it worked. I do know that the delete does work. If you delete on BB it will delete from your inbox using POP. As long as your reconciliation is setup correctly.
    08-14-08 06:34 PM
    I like Yahoo mail alot. Great spam protection...
    08-14-08 06:38 PM
    I think POP is still the way to go. I was setup with IMAP for a few days and I found that I would never send mail from the blackberry because I knew it would not be saved in the sent items. And yes, its really slow!

Hopefully Google is working on this. I don't understand how or why it works with Yahoo.
    08-14-08 06:41 PM
    Yeah, I absolutely love Gmail, but I've recently discovered it doesn't work very well if you have a BlackBerry. They let you know on their support page that while they have IMAP settings for BlackBerry, they are unable to provide support for that device.

I've found that Yahoo! works incredibly well (although, when I read emails online, they do not get marked as read on my BB like I heard they should). It's a shame that Yahoo! works so well, because their webmail interface is absolutely horrible. Ads all over the place and just not very attractive. There is no way I'm paying for Yahoo! PLUS until they add IMAP support. Maybe I might just have to start using Zimbra.
    08-14-08 07:24 PM
    Yeah, I would just stick with POP and delete the e-mails from the web later. POP is still faster and it allows you to keep a copy of the mail you sent. Even yahoo mail won't show up as read, so you might as well stick with gmail if that's what you mainly use.

08-14-08 07:46 PM
    I'm back to using the Gmail app. Neither POP or IMAP will do what I want. I can't use my folders wit BIS. Unfortunately, I can't get html this way. Hopefully, Google will update the app soon.
    08-14-08 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD