Anyone concerned about privacy when using gmail with BIS?
    01-23-10 12:00 AM
    No more than using Gmail without a BB.
    01-23-10 09:04 AM
    agreed amiga. I have no concern with using gmail through bis. I have had no security issues what so over. what concerns you about using it?
    01-23-10 09:07 AM
    That's similar to my work's concerns. Google is trying to get the local government to switch to Google for cloud computing (basically they house all of our data on Google servers so that we can access our data no matter what computer we're on). The concerns are:

1. Where are the servers located, and what laws are in effect there? For example, maybe some of our data will end up in China, and China may tolerate hackers hacking into foreign-owned servers?
    2. How secure is Google's servers? Do they monitor it regularly and try to safeguard our data?
    3. Do we trust the Google staff? How do we know if they unknowingly hired a cyber-thief? A Google admin may be able to log in and access our data.

Now, to return to the question about gmail and BIS, there haven't been any reports of people having privacy issues with Google. I use them because they work so well with blackberry (wireless synchronization of contacts, calendars, and fast push mail). If you have precious data, however, you may want to take extraordinary measures, such as using your own mail server to house your mail.

Upon re-reading the OP, it could also be read in a different light. Are you asking if you can trust the BIS server with your gmail credentials? If so, I don't know how RIM and your carrier store the data. (Your carrier operates the BIS in the same way that a company operates its BES.)
    01-23-10 01:11 PM
    actually i'm more concerned about using Gmail not about my carrier's BIS. I've heard a few reports about privacy issues with Google and how they keep record of Google user activity.
    01-23-10 11:18 PM
    From what I've read, all BIS transmissions are encrypted... Thus, any transfer of information from your BB, thru the BIS servers, to Google are encrypted. I would think you'd run more of a risk if you used your desktop to manage your Gmail than if you did all your correspondence with a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 11:55 PM
    I'm not worried abt BIS at all.. what i;m worried is how google keeps a tab on user activity and how it might affect our privacy on the long run.
    01-24-10 05:39 AM
    Then don't use gmail. Not as if they care that you subscribe to all those online articles. However, I can assume they have the same types of "red: flags that the local library does as well. Search for "pipe bomb" articles and I bet it gets flagged somewheres.
    01-24-10 06:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD