Hi, all.

I've been using the Gmail app all this time for email, and just started toying around with the built-in email/messaging system that comes with the BB.

I have several email accounts that forward directly to one main Gmail inbox, where I send/receive email, but the emails do not appear to come from my main Gmail address - they appear to have come from the address that the original sender sent the email to. (I hope that made sense!)

When I use the Gmail app on my BB to reply to an email, the recipient sees the email address that they originally contacted, not my main Gmail address -- which is perfect! That's how it is supposed to work.

When I use the email/messaging system on the BB, my reply appears to have come from my main Gmail address, not the email that they originally contacted. Is there a way to send emails so that the sender is NOT my main Gmail address?

I'm sure someone else out there manages their email from one Gmail inbox, like me. Hoping that person can give me the tip I'm looking for.

Thanks much!
    08-15-09 11:41 PM
    I do manage multiple emails from one Gmail inbox. And I ran into the same issue.

The only way around this is to add each email address individually through your carrier's BIS site and have each inbox seperate on your berry.

Mind you if you have all your messages go to the "messages" folder, its basically gonna be just like your Gmail inbox, with all your emails in one place regardless of which address they were sent to.

The only other tip I have is when you compose on your berry, make sure you select the right "from" address.

Hope this helps. If someone has a better solution please post. I'd love to find a better way myself!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 11:55 PM
    I do manage multiple emails from one Gmail inbox. And I ran into the same issue.

The only way around this is to add each email address individually through your carrier's BIS site and have each inbox seperate on your berry.

Mind you if you have all your messages go to the "messages" folder, its basically gonna be just like your Gmail inbox, with all your emails in one place regardless of which address they were sent to.

The only other tip I have is when you compose on your berry, make sure you select the right "from" address.

Hope this helps. If someone has a better solution please post. I'd love to find a better way myself!

Kevin,
    Okay...thanks for that. I forgot about the Messaging box, and yes...that does allow me to manage all my email boxes from one place, I guess. Cool.

As for something better...well, the Gmail app takes care of everything for you. Your recipients will see the correct sender every time, and you don't have to do anything on the BB to make it happen.

The Gmail app doesn't seem to recognize all of the html in messages; so, you lose the bullet lists and formatting. Sucks, but I don't think Google is going to change that as it's been that way for over a year now.

Open to all other feedback. Thanks again!

EDIT: BTW, when you archive messages in the Gmail app, the message is archived at Gmail too. I'm noticing that deleted messages on the BB are not archived at Gmail, they're deleted -- sucks.
    Last edited by butcherbird; 08-16-09 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added comment re: archived messages
    08-16-09 12:02 AM
    EDIT: BTW, when you archive messages in the Gmail app, the message is archived at Gmail too. I'm noticing that deleted messages on the BB are not archived at Gmail, they're deleted -- sucks.
    This is my biggest knock on the BIS email system. I can't access my labeled and archived messages. I'm a big label/folder person. Zero inbox is the way to be!!

As with the Gmail app, I tried that too, but you can't apply labels in the program. So its not much better than BIS.

At least with BIS I get my emails pushed instantly. With the Gmail app I have to wait for it to poll the server every 15 minutes, or manually refresh.

Bleh, we can never just have our cake and eat too

08-16-09 08:31 AM
    When you used the Gmail app, are you sure you had IMAP enabled and POP disabled in your Gmail settings at the web site?

I receive notification of new emails usually within seconds, rarely over a couple of minutes. Perhaps the Gmail app was improved since the last time you tried it?

I didn't notice not being able to apply labels til you mentioned it. I guess I always just waited until I got back to my web-based email to start filing messages away. You're right, though...applying labels is a feature that we should have in the Gmail app.
    08-16-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD