so yeah, i set up my gmail on the ATT BIS site just how gmail suggested for IMAP in their help section. It takes like 10-15 minutes consistently to receive new messages though at all times of the day. This blows....this should be far shorter. I would move it back to POP where things are near instantaneous but then the mailbox won't sync
    06-17-08 10:21 PM
    Do a search online for the Gmail Application. It loads to your device, and works pretty well.
    06-17-08 10:26 PM
    Do a search online for the Gmail Application. It loads to your device, and works pretty well.
    That won't make receiving email any faster than the IMAP method.

so yeah, i set up my gmail on the ATT BIS site just how gmail suggested for IMAP in their help section. It takes like 10-15 minutes consistently to receive new messages though at all times of the day. This blows....this should be far shorter. I would move it back to POP where things are near instantaneous but then the mailbox won't sync
    That is quite an attitude you have. There isn't much you can do to help things. If you want your email fast, then POP is the way to go. If you want it synced, then use IMAP. There isn't a way to have it both ways.
    06-17-08 10:33 PM
    That won't make receiving email any faster than the IMAP method.

That is quite an attitude you have. There isn't much you can do to help things. If you want your email fast, then POP is the way to go. If you want it synced, then use IMAP. There isn't a way to have it both ways.
    I wouldn't want the gmail app cause that's not the point of having push email with a blackberry. Thanks for the attitude correction mother. In all seriousness, I am just surprised with the length of time it takes. Mind blowing as it doesn't feel pushed. Looks like i'm reverting back to pop.
    06-17-08 11:11 PM
    I get my e-mails using the Gmail application pretty quicky. Takes only about a minute longer than using the push service with POP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 07:05 PM
    i'm using imap with gmail on sprint - takes about 15s for the email to get pushed to my curve.
    06-18-08 07:47 PM
    hmmm....still taking my email at least 15 minutes to get to my bberry. One email today took 20 minutes. I can't really deal with delays this great so I am switching back to pop tonight and likely ditching gmail.
    06-18-08 08:44 PM
    I've had no problems with GMail and IMAP. I get it pretty near instantly AND it syncs. So perhaps you just set it up funky? I just did mine on the device itself and let the Berry do the work.

06-18-08 10:27 PM
    Can somebody explains what IMAP and POP are? I am having problems with Gmail not syncing. I had another thread about this but I didn't get any help
    Thanks
    06-19-08 02:12 PM
    06-19-08 02:44 PM
    First, I don't think some of you know what IMAP really is. If you have your GMail set to IMAP, and you connect your BlackBerry to it via the automated setup provided by your BIS page, it will automatically set it up as POP access regardless of what you have checked off in the actual GMail account settings. You have to manually enter the server info to set it up as IMAP, and it will kill the push functionality. If you didn't manually enter the server info, you aren't using IMAP.

Second, outside of deleting on the device and mailbox universally, BlackBerry devices on BIS don't support IMAP. Yes, you can connect to an account that is configured for IMAP, but you can't get full IMAP functionality. True IMAP functionality gives you all the folders of your mailbox on the device, and lets you move items between them, amongst other things. You can't do any of this with BlackBerry devices.

Third, no BIS account "syncs" to anything. You simply register your mail account with the RIM NOC, and that NOC pulls mail from the mailbox, strips it and pushes it to the device.

Lastly, the GMail App is not the same thing. It completely defeats the purpose of having a BlackBerry in the first place if you want my honest opinion.

To the OP. You are right, it does blow. It blows especially hard considering that BlackBerry is the email "king."
    06-19-08 03:17 PM
    I've had no problems with GMail and IMAP. I get it pretty near instantly AND it syncs. So perhaps you just set it up funky? I just did mine on the device itself and let the Berry do the work.

What do you mean by it "syncs"? Do you mean it syncs deleted messages or read messages?
    06-19-08 07:52 PM
    First, I don't think some of you know what IMAP really is. If you have your GMail set to IMAP, and you connect your BlackBerry to it via the automated setup provided by your BIS page, it will automatically set it up as POP access regardless of what you have checked off in the actual GMail account settings. You have to manually enter the server info to set it up as IMAP, and it will kill the push functionality. If you didn't manually enter the server info, you aren't using IMAP.

Second, outside of deleting on the device and mailbox universally, BlackBerry devices on BIS don't support IMAP. Yes, you can connect to an account that is configured for IMAP, but you can't get full IMAP functionality. True IMAP functionality gives you all the folders of your mailbox on the device, and lets you move items between them, amongst other things. You can't do any of this with BlackBerry devices.

Third, no BIS account "syncs" to anything. You simply register your mail account with the RIM NOC, and that NOC pulls mail from the mailbox, strips it and pushes it to the device.

Lastly, the GMail App is not the same thing. It completely defeats the purpose of having a BlackBerry in the first place if you want my honest opinion.

To the OP. You are right, it does blow. It blows especially hard considering that BlackBerry is the email "king."
    Didn't see this post... you have it correct, and I think when people post that it "syncs" they're referring to syncing deleted messages, which it can be set up to do but is not what most of us are looking for, or referring to.
    06-19-08 07:56 PM
    I must correct my previous post about imap - i have imap set up with my apple mail, but i had my BIS set up through POP.

I just tried IMAP by entering the settings manually, and there is indeed quite a delay. I've switched back to POP for my BIS - suits my needs a bit better. I don't use folders within gmail, and the gmail read/unread status gets updated when i "mark all as read" on my computer.
    06-19-08 08:46 PM
    Gmail IMAP work very well except that GMail doesn't send read status updates. GMail receives read status updates fine, but sending isn't supported for some unknown reason. Of course on a BlackBerry you can't use IMAP the to it's potential due to the way that the BlackBerry functions. It's a BB limitation not GMail or IMAP. I previously used FlexMail 4 on my PPC and GMail IMAP IDLE was a beautiful thing.

06-20-08 08:59 AM
    I've had no problems with gmail

06-20-08 09:15 AM
    This was a shock to me when i got my blackberry curve a few weeks ago as well. I ended up sticking with the standard BIS setup, which at least gets the emails to me instantly and lets me delete wirelessly.

I also use the gmail app, but mostly to read emails that don't show up properly on the BB, search mail, and update read status. I tried using it for notifications but it was horrible. Sometimes the note would come in in a few minutes, sometimes not at all. Too inconsistent for my blood.
    06-20-08 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD