Toyota and Ford are joining forces to avoid having Android and Apple take over the design of their dashboards: http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ash-from-apple
    06-06-15 08:45 PM
    If qnx wanted branding, they'd put their logo on the screen somewhere in the settings at the very least. Qnx doesn't care for branding. It needs to change.

Posted via CB10
    I was talking about the branding of the automobile company, not QNX.
    However, there should be a "BlackBerry QNX" logo of some sort somewhere. It is probably back to when Harmon owned them and didn't want competitors to worry about seeing a "made by Harmon" tag on their stereos.

Posted from my Red Passport
    06-06-15 09:43 PM
    Toyota and Ford are joining forces to avoid having Android and Apple take over the design of their dashboards: http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ash-from-apple
    Nobody is forcing them to use Android Auto or Car play, like nobody is forcing Samsung/LG/HTC to use Android instead of developing their own platform.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-07-15 02:45 AM
    I was talking about the branding of the automobile company, not QNX.
    However, there should be a "BlackBerry QNX" logo of some sort somewhere. It is probably back to when Harmon owned them and didn't want competitors to worry about seeing a "made by Harmon" tag on their stereos.

Posted from my Red Passport
    So why did Harman put the branding on it's speakers and factory grills of those speakers...such as BMW. It's clearly put everywhere on the car. That goes for most other brands including Sony on Ford, Microsoft of Ford. Logic7, another Harman company did put their logo on BMW screens.

The reason is QNX was never intended to be talked about. It was that boring nuts and bolts type of IT talk located somewhere in the basement that no one cared for. Now things have changed and it's getting to become front and center in the auto world. Blackberry needs to understand that. They are the leaders of that talk and no one even knows. They should and need to put that branding in those vehicles.
    lnichols and techvisor like this.
    06-07-15 06:51 AM
    This is what we need. Car's infotainment systems need to be app and phone agnostic. It becomes a form of phone racism otherwise.
    06-07-15 07:22 AM
    maybe this needs a break down for some readers...

Carplay cannot run on its own
    Android Auto cannot run on its own

they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run... but QNX is not the ONLY middleware they require to run... they just require any compatible middleware

I hope this spells it out nice and simply for anyone who is having issues following along...

Posted via CB10
    You are fine I understood what you were saying from the beginning. Some people just like to make a mountain out of a molehill. You did more than enough to explain what you were saying. Some people just like to argue.

Posted via CB10
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    06-07-15 07:43 AM
    This is what we need. Car's infotainment systems need to be app and phone agnostic. It becomes a form of phone racism otherwise.
    BlackBerry still isn't supporting Mirrorlink, the standard protocol for displaying phone info on another screen. I have Pioneer AppRadio that supports this and BlackBerry still won't implement the Damn protocol. So there is a protocol out there, that many systems support, that BlackBerry continues to ignore. BlackBerry needs to get their sh1t together before you demand everyone else support them.

Posted via Z30
    techvisor and sentimentGX4 like this.
    06-07-15 08:17 AM
    So why did Harman put the branding on it's speakers and factory grills of those speakers...such as BMW. It's clearly put everywhere on the car. That goes for most other brands including Sony on Ford, Microsoft of Ford. Logic7, another Harman company did put their logo on BMW screens.

The reason is QNX was never intended to be talked about. It was that boring nuts and bolts type of IT talk located somewhere in the basement that no one cared for. Now things have changed and it's getting to become front and center in the auto world. Blackberry needs to understand that. They are the leaders of that talk and no one even knows. They should and need to put that branding in those vehicles.
    Seriously?
    You can't separate a Harmon system and it's branded speakers from the OS they owned and other competitors used in their infotainment systems?

It is going to take some time to get the transition. QNX has been around a lot longer than RIM/BlackBerry. They are already doing the co-branding at the trade shows, but my guess is, when Ion gets bigger they will use that or some other than besides QNX as the marketing brand for the OS.
    06-07-15 09:11 AM
    Seriously?
    You can't separate a Harmon system and it's branded speakers from the OS they owned and other competitors used in their infotainment systems?

It is going to take some time to get the transition. QNX has been around a lot longer than RIM/BlackBerry. They are already doing the co-branding at the trade shows, but my guess is, when Ion gets bigger they will use that or some other than besides QNX as the marketing brand for the OS.
    Microsoft doesn't brand it's speakers on Fords, it brands it's OS. At the end of the day, customers don't give a crap what they're branding except it's being branded. Put QNX/Blackberry somewhere in the vehicle.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-08-15 05:36 AM
    Microsoft doesn't brand it's speakers on Fords, it brands it's OS. At the end of the day, customers don't give a crap what they're branding except it's being branded. Put QNX/Blackberry somewhere in the vehicle.
    I do not disagree with you statement.
    I was pointing out to as why there was the lack of QNX branding before BlackBerry bought them. We can only hope that will change in the future.
    06-08-15 12:29 PM
    BlackBerry still isn't supporting Mirrorlink, the standard protocol for displaying phone info on another screen. I have Pioneer AppRadio that supports this and BlackBerry still won't implement the Damn protocol. So there is a protocol out there, that many systems support, that BlackBerry continues to ignore. BlackBerry needs to get their sh1t together before you demand everyone else support them.

Posted via Z30
    BlackBerry QNX has supported Mirrorlink for a couple years now.
    http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6...irrorlink.html

They have even partnered with RealVNC (the creators of Mirrorlink) to integrate Mirrorlink into the QNX automotive platform.
    http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_5742_2.html

So with all that experience with Mirrorlink it is quite surprising that it's not found on their BlackBerry phones. They have been saying "soon" for a while now. That's why I expected it to appear with 10.3....We are now on 10.3.2 & still nothing....maybe we will see it in the fall with 10.4.....

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 10:01 AM
    What's the difference with mirror link vs mirror cast

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 11:47 PM
    What's the difference with mirror link vs mirror cast
    I found this comment at: wifi direct - Difference between miracast and mirrorlink technologies? - Stack Overflow

MirrorLink allows you to use a supporting head unit as a remote terminal for supporting phones. It provides framebuffer replication (like Miracast), but it also provides control events, application selection support (via UPnP), bi-directional audio, and bi-directional data exchange. You can run MirrorLink over WiFi if the devices support, but most devices use USB connectivity.
    06-14-15 12:11 AM
    maybe this needs a break down for some readers...

they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run... but QNX is not the ONLY middleware they require to run... they just require any compatible middleware

I hope this spells it out nice and simply for anyone who is having issues following along...

Posted via CB10
    You were torturing the sentence structure to promote QNX. The natural phrasing would be:

they require a middleware, to run... like QNX

But that wouldn't have waved the flag enough, so we got the "They require QNX... but QNX is not the only..." misstatement with talkback... multiple times.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-21-15 08:52 AM
64 123