I wont ever expect bloomberg to give credit where due in regards to RIM, case inpoint the article below from bloomberg regarding the latest GM in car computers, coming out next year. Is this not going to be based on QNX. GM Onstar is QNX. I have never heard any change in that regard. I don't think GM will be in the business of creating their own operating system. So it seems to me to be just another case of bloomberg not giving RIM or QNX their credit due?

GM's Cadillac plans to offer an in-car data, navigation and media system next year with a tablet computer-style touch screen and applications that the company hopes will distinguish the brand from luxury rivals.
    The first car to get the Cadillac User Experience, or CUE, system will be the XTS sedan due in early 2012, followed by the ATS small car and SRX wagon, said Don Butler, Cadillac’s vice president of marketing, in an interview yesterday in San Diego. The Linux-based CUE technology was developed in-house at GM’s research center in Warren, Michigan, he said.
    “This is a differentiator moving us above and beyond our competitors,” said Micky Bly, GM’s executive director of global electric systems and infotainment, in an interview in San Diego. “IPhone, iPads, Droids, all those things are out there now, and people are familiar with that style of device navigation.”
    Along with exterior styling, fuel-efficiency and engine advances, automakers are competing for buyers with sophisticated in-car electronics that provide more than route guidance, real- time traffic information and hands-free phone calls. CUE will offer a broad range of data and applications, including Pandora Media Inc.’s music service, and will be easiest to use, Detroit- based GM said.
    Auto industry firsts for CUE include an 8-inch LCD screen that senses an approaching hand and is navigated by swiping through a menu similar to Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPad. It also uses “haptic” controls, both on-screen and on the center console, that pulse when tapped or swiped. CUE will be standard on the XTS and an option on other Cadillac models, Burton said, without detailing its price.
    Customized Display
    Traditional dashboard gauges also are replaced with an LCD screen that can be customized to show directions, information on music being played, tire pressure and other real-time vehicle data, along with speed, distance and remaining fuel.
    The system also can be controlled by voice commands and will read text messages sent to motorists’ mobile phones, in hopes of keeping people from holding phones while driving, Bly said.
    “It provides seamless integration of smartphone functions,” Bly said. “Bring your phone into the car environment, but take your hands off of it
    Last edited by Dapper37; 10-12-11 at 12:58 AM.
    10-12-11 12:54 AM
    Its not news, its even on their page,
    Customers
    QNX has been used for a long time in cars and other small and critical systems.

Credits to QNX itself, just QNX.

Also, one thing you and i seem to have missed, CUE itself is linux "based", the apps, the interface and such, not QNX. It even says in the article it was created by GM itself. The OnStar system is a different story. Neither is QNX linux, nor it is linux based, so yeah CUE has nothing to do with it, QNX just handles onstar (not CUE), unless of course, the writer had no idea what he was talking about by mentioning linux and lying about GM creating the linux based OS or the interface "CUE".
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-12-11 at 01:40 AM.
    10-12-11 01:23 AM
    Opensourcery. Something I like to hear and read about. GO QNX! (that sh!t boots within 5 seconds!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 04:32 AM
    Most in car systems are either QNX based or Microsoft Embedded Automotive based.

This is old, but Jaguar will be introducing BlackBerry integration with their new C-X16 coming out next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/04/j...ands-on-video/
    10-12-11 07:53 AM
    has nothing todo with QNX. QNX is definitely NOT linux based. GM has developed their system in-house to save on licensing fees. Now if RIM/QNX can offer something to compete against free software that would be great. Android is also linux based and free from license fees but its not the only one. Linux has come a long way in supporting media and personal devices. To me it makes sense to have only one OS in the car. RIMM/QNX need a solution for the entire vehicle that will interest these cost conscious manufacturers
    10-12-11 08:32 AM
    So it seems to me to be just another case of bloomberg not giving RIM or QNX their credit due?
    Reads to me like you're not giving Bloomberg the credit it is due.
    10-12-11 08:44 AM
    has nothing todo with QNX. QNX is definitely NOT linux based.
    Correct, QNX is a "Unix like" OS but it not based on Linux/Unix/*ix.
    10-12-11 09:25 AM
    has nothing todo with QNX. QNX is definitely NOT linux based. GM has developed their system in-house to save on licensing fees. Now if RIM/QNX can offer something to compete against free software that would be great. Android is also linux based and free from license fees but its not the only one. Linux has come a long way in supporting media and personal devices. To me it makes sense to have only one OS in the car. RIMM/QNX need a solution for the entire vehicle that will interest these cost conscious manufacturers
    Tell that to HTC, Samsung, Acer, etc. etc. etc. who are all paying License Fees to Microsoft for Android. Free in theory, not in practice.
    10-12-11 09:33 AM
    Tell that to HTC, Samsung, Acer, etc. etc. etc. who are all paying License Fees to Microsoft for Android. Free in theory, not in practice.

Um ... What?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-12-11 09:40 AM
    Um ... What?
    He was pointing out that though Android OEMs aren't paying Google license fees, many are paying Microsoft patent license fees. Therefore, Android isn't "free of license fees" for these vendors.
    10-12-11 10:24 AM
    didn't even occur to me but yeah! So what is this OS!
    10-12-11 02:01 PM
    Still cheaper. That is why they still make handsets based on Android.
    10-12-11 02:47 PM
    He was pointing out that though Android OEMs aren't paying Google license fees, many are paying Microsoft patent license fees. Therefore, Android isn't "free of license fees" for these vendors.
    Infringe on a patent expect repercussions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 01:01 PM
    The #1 and #2 global auto makers - GM and Toyota (in no particular order) both exclusively use QNX in their automotive computer systems.
    10-13-11 08:43 PM
    10-14-11 10:28 AM
    The #1 and #2 global auto makers - GM and Toyota (in no particular order) both exclusively use QNX in their automotive computer systems.
    thats no longer the case if im not mistaken. i think toyota is number one and VW is number 2.
    10-14-11 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD