Just came across this mod for an iPhone that makes the Apple logo on the back light up... I wonder if we can do the same thing to the BB logo on the battery door! Would the NFC antenna put out enough current to power a couple SMD LEDs so that there doesn't need to be a (difficult) mod? Hmm...

07-23-14 02:22 AM
    Do those people calling it a gimmick never place their phones down face-down?

Check Out TechCraze
    Stephen Cooper likes this.
    07-23-14 02:28 AM
    I think it would be cool. Especially if it could change colors for different types of notifications. I'm sure third party app developers could come up some useful things to use it for too.

Some people seem to have a problem with any sort of focus on fashion or coolness; all business all the time or it's not a blackberry. I don't get that. Clothes are meant to keep you warm. They serve an important function. But do you not care at all how they look? No thought whatsoever to what you look like wearing them? Of course you do. We are social animals and most people without a mental disorder care to some extent what other people think. There's nothing wrong with that.
    07-23-14 06:36 AM
    Judgmental responses aside (thanks to them for their contribution to the world ye negative nellies!)

It certainly can be done. You may have a tight fit in the battery cover.

The cover has the NFC covering the plastic logo pop out.

If you remove the NFC and the silver popout, replace that with a white diffused plastic, and add either an SMD LED or try to fit a 5050 - you could definitely create a glowing logo.

Depending on what the NFC uses for voltage - you could maybe leverage that instead of using juice off the battery. But even if you do use the battery, it would use a about the same energy as the blinking notification light on the phone.

It's just a simplified version of this

http://www.connectedly.com/creating-...g-logo-arduino. Not the greatest article I've written but...

you can use the phone instead of the arduino for power and an smd or similar instead of a giant rgb bulb

Posted via CB from my LE
    tinochiko and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    07-23-14 08:11 AM
    I think it would be cool. Especially if it could change colors for different types of notifications. I'm sure third party app developers could come up some useful things to use it for too.

Some people seem to have a problem with any sort of focus on fashion or coolness; all business all the time or it's not a blackberry. I don't get that. Clothes are meant to keep you warm. They serve an important function. But do you not care at all how they look? No thought whatsoever to what you look like wearing them? Of course you do. We are social animals and most people without a mental disorder care to some extent what other people think. There's nothing wrong with that.
    I tell you, I don't have an issue with being "cool" or fashionable.
    And BlackBerry is a fashionable device in itself.

However, in this case, the coolness feature will cost battery life, that could otherwise be used for actual communication purposes.

So I would rather choose an extra hour of talk time over a glowing phone company logo.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-23-14 08:45 AM
    Do those people calling it a gimmick never place their phones down face-down?

Check Out TechCraze
    If I wanted to see the notification, I would place the phone facing up - it's not that hard.

There are times that I place the phone facing down and that is because I want to focus on work and not pay attention on phone notification.

MobileMadness002 likes this.
    07-23-14 08:46 AM
    I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure that they could add it in and put an option to turn it off. The light wouldn't waste battery... it takes a ridiculously tiny amount of power for a single LED.. maybe 5 mins of battery per charge if it's always lit up.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 08:53 AM
    Before we know it. Our phones will be flashing like a marquee sign of a broadway musical.
    07-23-14 09:07 AM
    I tell you, I don't have an issue with being "cool" or fashionable.
    And BlackBerry is a fashionable device in itself.

However, in this case, the coolness feature will cost battery life, that could otherwise be used for actual communication purposes.

So I would rather choose an extra hour of talk time over a glowing phone company logo.

Fair enough, but I'm doubtful that another LED would have any meaningful impact on battery life. LEDs are extremely efficient. If I'm wrong and it is a significant battery drain, then I agree with you that it's not worth the trade off. Although maybe an option to turn it off would make everyone happy?
    07-23-14 09:22 AM
    There's no account for taste. And people said Passport is ugly. Though I respect people who wanted flashing lights on the battery door. In that case, can it be made to flash to the beat of the music playing?
    07-23-14 09:27 AM
    If I wanted to see the notification, I would place the phone facing up - it's not that hard.

There are times that I place the phone facing down and that is because I want to focus on work and not pay attention on phone notification.

And you don't have to, it would be an option.. just like some people just leave it face up and have bedside mode on, personally especially with 10.3 where face down engages power saving mode; implying that BlackBerry themselves believe phones are placed face down, it would be useful to have some way of knowing that something is coming through without picking up the phone..

If BlackBerry implemented this as an option what would it take away from you? Nothing, you would set it so the phone continues to do nothing face down, but it would ADD to my experience..?

Check Out TechCraze
    07-23-14 12:59 PM
    There's no account for taste. And people said Passport is ugly. Though I respect people who wanted flashing lights on the battery door. In that case, can it be made to flash to the beat of the music playing?
    When they open it up to devs the possibilities are endless

Check Out TechCraze
    07-23-14 01:00 PM
    I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure that they could add it in and put an option to turn it off. The light wouldn't waste battery... it takes a ridiculously tiny amount of power for a single LED.. maybe 5 mins of battery per charge if it's always lit up.

Posted via CB10
    What he said

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-25-14 08:41 AM
    I say why not? Just don't use up too much battery life doing it.
    07-27-14 06:49 PM
39 12