How RIM is trying to win the app war - The Globe and Mail

Excerpt:

But client requests for mobile apps to run on BlackBerry 10 began to pile up at Macadamian, which works with huge companies such as Microsoft Corp. and Cisco Systems Inc. RIM chief executive officer Thorsten Heins later said the smartphones would launch on Jan. 30, and amid increasing optimism about the new BlackBerrys� chances, Macadamian saw interest pick up even more. Toronto-based Xtreme Labs Inc., another 200-person app-maker, also said they saw a big uptick in requests for the BlackBerry 10 platform.

�There�s certainly been a steady increase in volume of requests � and urgency of requests,� says Doug Michaelides, managing director of the Macadamian�s Ottawa office. �As we approach the launch date, more and more people are seeing the opportunity and are not wanting to be left out.�

For RIM, getting the enthusiasm � and commitment � of app developers such as Macadamian is a startling success for a smartphone maker that once disdained applications, and goes some way toward answering this crucial question: Will there actually be good apps on BlackBerry 10 phones?

As the iPhone became more popular, RIM�s products suffered withering criticism for lacking great apps. And as the BlackBerry�s popularity waned in many developed markets, top-notch app developers abandoned the platform, leaving BlackBerry users without many of the most popular apps available on iPhones and on Android devices. That, in turn, affected sales.

But there is no doubt RIM executives now believe apps are crucial for the success of BlackBerry 10. The company has poured resources into its developer outreach teams over the past two years and has pledged that BlackBerry 10 phones will have about 70,000 apps at launch. But even as developers prepare thousands of apps to bolster the BlackBerry 10 launch, the reality is RIM is starting from scratch with the new platform and may lack the necessary scale to lure big name apps right at launch � despite the 79 million BlackBerry users around the world using the older technology.

Like its clients, Macadamian also wants to make sure it doesn�t get left out as BlackBerry 10 gains momentum. The software firm, which does about $17-million in annual revenues and has offices in Silicon Valley and Eastern Europe, now has 50 mobile app developers working full-time on BlackBerry 10 � programming and designing at least 10 different apps. The firm�s BlackBerry-specific business unit now has a dedicated vice-president, and has shifted into a relatively permanent fixture within Macadamian�s business model.
    01-22-13 12:35 PM
    Great article... interesting at the end of the piece where it talked about not having major app developers on board... expecially Skype and Netflix...could be a big let down for many... but here is hoping....
    01-22-13 01:08 PM
    Quote from the article
    However, Troy Johnson, who heads Magmic�s partnerships with RIM, Apple, Nokia Corp., Samsung Electronics and others, says BlackBerry 10 may lack the sort of scale, at launch, to lure some of the truly big name consumer apps � companies like Netflix or Skype, for whom making an app for a platform is a huge commitment.

�Most would probably wait to see if the market is going to develop first,� Mr. Johnson says. �Bringing any of these tier one apps to a new platform is not... trivial.

How hard can it possibly be to build a Netflix app for BB10??
    01-22-13 01:15 PM
    Given the quality and power of the browzer coming with BB10, one would think an app isn't even necessary, just use the web versions, no app required? I am not technical but it seems to me that early on in the life of the Playbook, Netflix worked on the browser, but was later blocked, maybe I am not remembering correctly?
    01-22-13 01:42 PM
    Quote from the article
    However, Troy Johnson, who heads Magmic’s partnerships with RIM, Apple, Nokia Corp., Samsung Electronics and others, says BlackBerry 10 may lack the sort of scale, at launch, to lure some of the truly big name consumer apps – companies like Netflix or Skype, for whom making an app for a platform is a huge commitment.

“Most would probably wait to see if the market is going to develop first,” Mr. Johnson says. “Bringing any of these tier one apps to a new platform is not... trivial.

How hard can it possibly be to build a Netflix app for BB10??
    I'm not worried at all. RIM put the resources in directly to get the big name Apps. I simply doubt this will be a problem. To be blunt, Skype will be completely irrelevant in less than 8 days. Microsoft blew its chance on this one a long time ago. Netflix is a bit more complicated given all the licencing issues.
    01-22-13 02:12 PM
    I'm not worried at all. RIM put the resources in directly to get the big name Apps. I simply doubt this will be a problem. To be blunt, Skype will be completely irrelevant in less than 8 days. Microsoft blew its chance on this one a long time ago. Netflix is a bit more complicated given all the licencing issues.
    Netflix is more frivolous obviously, but as for Skype.. While I personally agree with you that there are better options coming to blackberry 10, face flow for instance wich allows for a 4 way video conference, and of course bbm video.. what it comes down to is what do your friends and colleagues have? While Skype may not be the best player in the game, they are the biggest.. even though you I and the desk lamp know face flow is better, if everyone you need to chat with is on an iphone using skype..

It would be a completely diffrent story if these were open protocols like the telephone or text messaging.. it doesn't matter what apps or phone we have we can text or call anyone in the world.. but with something like skype, which is used by 90% of people making video calls.. to some, it will be a deal breaker if they can't access the service from their new device.

That said, for me personally video calling is a novelty that I think will eventually be all but forgotten.. I use it on rare occasions when traveling outside the country to talk to my wife.. never for business. SO I don't care as a user, but I do think it's relatively important for the success of the platform at this time.
    01-22-13 02:34 PM
    ...To be blunt, Skype will be completely irrelevant in less than 8 days. ...
    That's the same kind of hubris that led RIM to where it is now. I'm glad the days of Mike and Jim are over, and the new management team doesn't share your views.

- R.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-22-13 02:34 PM
    read it earlier today, was going to post it up myself but you beat me OP.
    01-22-13 02:35 PM
    Netflix isn't frivolous. I watch Netflix pretty much nightly, I need it far more than any other app on the platform.
    01-22-13 11:40 PM
    read it earlier today, was going to post it up myself but you beat me OP.
    I wonder if the OP is the same Globe reporter who has been writing about RIM in the past. Some would argue his choice of 'analysts' in those stories has meant overly negative reporting. Looking for some redemption?
    01-22-13 11:52 PM
    Sounds like Netflix is a done deal anyway.
    Skype, I don't care as stated lots of options + its MS Yuck!
    Its clear now that no skype on BB10 is not a game changer!
    01-23-13 02:22 AM
    Done deal? I heard they got the 19th of the top 20 , is that what your referring to?

I also heard that instagram won't be there and that CrackBerry Kevin is buying me and 9 other forum members a new corvette stingray.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-23-13 03:22 AM