If true, it's awesome.
    If not, that sucks.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:35 PM
    Not sure if there are any professional baseball leagues in Europe (haven't heard of any)

But I always wondered why the North American competition (I think there are Canadian teams as well as US ones) is called 'World Series' as none of the other baseball playing countries seem to be involved (baseball is very big in Japan and quite a few Latin American countries)

First of all as I stated earlier I would normally be one of the first to eagerly agree about the USA's classic inclination to act like "We are the Sun and the rest of the planets revolve around us".

But in this case it's a bad example because first of all, Europe doesn't play US baseball, by-and-large. (Someone made a joke about Europeans being excluded)

Second of all, when the "World Series" was founded, I'm pretty darn sure that neither Japan or Caribbean/Latin American countries were playing US-style baseball much either. Those things started to happen many years later.

So in this particular case, it makes reasonable sense. Especially since the USA plays far far more baseball than any other country, to this day.

[We now return you to your regularly-scheduled rumor-mongering and gossip. ]
    01-23-14 09:35 PM
    Just a tip, don't forget to backup your contacts and important messages via 3rd party apps from BlackBerry World.

Just to make sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:36 PM
    @N4_BB has confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:37 PM
    @N4_BB has confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    Confirmed the date, not the fact that it's not carrier dependent.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:41 PM
    nexus does that.
    Motorola does that
    my Motorola Xoom 3G tablet has been upgraded via Wifi, even it never had a Sim Card in it.
    Motorola is a Google company...

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:43 PM
    Global update 10.2.1 (not carrier push)-img_20140124_114824_edit.png

I guess this answers our question on carrier dependency?

Proudly tweeted the first #IChooseBlackBerry10 tweet.
    Uzi likes this.
    01-23-14 09:49 PM
    Confirmed the date, not the fact that it's not carrier dependent.

Posted via CB10
    Global Updates, not carrier dependent.
    01-23-14 09:52 PM
    I hope so but that's not was was reported by N4BB.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-confirms-...-january-28th/

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:54 PM
    Which part of the statement, can u post a link?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:55 PM
    Which part of the statement, can u post a link?
    Posted via CB10
    Waiting.
    01-23-14 10:03 PM
    Waiting.
    I think there is some misinterpretation by that poster. I do hope he is right though.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:05 PM
    Funny......
    01-23-14 10:12 PM
    Funny......
    Please elaborate, lol.

Proudly tweeted the first #IChooseBlackBerry10 tweet.
    01-23-14 10:14 PM
    Funny......
    Lol actually funny or bring cryptic?
    01-23-14 10:17 PM
    Lol actually funny or bring cryptic?
    Nah, really funny. I'd fully explain but honestly it's not worth the hassle. I'll just say... it's like throwing pasta at the wall and seeing what sticks and what doesn't.
    ray689 and mjdimer like this.
    01-23-14 10:19 PM
    Please elaborate, lol.

Probably that people keep clinging to the idea that the OS update will not be carrier-dependent, when various sources (including BBRY executives) have in fact said that it WILL, or at least that there has been no change in that respect.

Wishes and fantasies are hard to kill, basically.
    01-23-14 10:20 PM
    Probably that people keep clinging to the idea that the OS update will not be carrier-dependent, when various sources (including BBRY executives) have in fact said that it WILL, or at least that there has been no change in that respect.

Wishes and fantasies are hard to kill, basically.
    That too.. also... remember... the BlackBerry 10 launch was 'Global' as well. We saw how that worked.
    h20work, JeepBB and mjdimer like this.
    01-23-14 10:21 PM
    Nah, really funny. I'd fully explain but honestly it's not worth the hassle. I'll just say... it's like throwing pasta at the wall and seeing what sticks and what doesn't.
    Fully understand.
    01-23-14 10:23 PM
    So in this particular case, it makes reasonable sense. Especially since the USA plays far far more baseball than any other country, to this day.
    It makes no sense at all to call a competition a world series unless it is an international tournament . There is no way other way to spin this.
    01-23-14 10:30 PM
    It makes no sense at all to call a competition a world series unless it is an international tournament . There is no way other way to spin this.

And what happens if there are only 3 people in your town (in all the world) that play the game that you just invented 5 minutes ago?

Some big Ogre is going to come and step on you if you call your tournament the "World Series"?

And BTW, the US tournament now includes Canadian teams (since 1969) so technically it IS now international. And there are nowadays some other international baseball tournaments, like the "Baseball World Cup" and the "World Baseball Classic". Plenty of tournaments for everyone.

This concludes my contributions to this off-topic subthread. BEEP.
    01-23-14 10:55 PM
196 ... 678