I think BlackBerry should just go ahead and released updates on BB10 globally, unless there's already some sort of agreement with carriers requiring approval which would just be ridiculous. Can you imagine if there's a major security flaw that was found and they couldn't release an update because they had to wait for a carrier approval? It would be detrimental to BlackBerry.
    01-23-14 10:26 AM
    well, Apple pushes their updates globally, i dont see why BB cant.
    Carriers are really slowing BB down. BB is actually working pretty fast. 10.2.1 just 12 months after bb10.0 launch. this is HUGE. so I say, screw the carriers and push it.. and to be honest, i really think its going to happen. When BB started to sell phones on their website, i was convinced that they will start pushing the OS updates as they go. 10.2.1 is HUGE! and it needs to be pushed to EVERY ONE!
    01-23-14 10:55 AM
    No update as of now for UK Vodafone
    01-23-14 11:08 AM
    I think BlackBerry should just go ahead and released updates on BB10 globally, unless there's already some sort of agreement with carriers requiring approval which would just be ridiculous. Can you imagine if there's a major security flaw that was found and they couldn't release an update because they had to wait for a carrier approval? It would be detrimental to BlackBerry.
    The handset vendors are using the carriers network infrastructure. The carriers typically want to ensure handsets don't malfunction and bring the whole network down (you may recall the initial aborted bbm launch). I'm betting carriers will only wave the testing if blackberry accept liability for any problems.

Posted via SwiftKey / htc one
    01-23-14 11:09 AM
    I wish this was true but have learned through experience not to expect anything timely in an update. I am thinking it will probably be available for the US Verizon person like me in April. Now come on and surprise me......dare you.......
    01-23-14 11:19 AM
    The handset vendors are using the carriers network infrastructure. The carriers typically want to ensure handsets don't malfunction and bring the whole network down (you may recall the initial aborted bbm launch). I'm betting carriers will only wave the testing if blackberry accept liability for any problems.

BlackBerry is able to upgrade the OS without touching the radio stack. The radio can be approved by the carrier.
    undone, laketrout73 and Jake2826 like this.
    01-23-14 11:29 AM
    LOL
    I saw a picture a few weeks ago that pointed out that the US has won the World Series 100+ times & Europe 0 times

Posted via CB10
    "After these messages .... we'll be righttttttt back....."

See how they neglected the Canadians again!! Canada has 2 World Series.

Back to the topic at hand ... i'm excited to see that we are close to the rollout. For those of us connected to our employer's BES server, installing the leak isn't really an option. Waiting to enjoy what the rest of you have for so long. However, still wishing i had more internal space on the BB. Will need to free some up.
    Mark_Venture likes this.
    01-23-14 11:30 AM
    No update as of now for UK Vodafone
    Is it the 27th or 28th yet?

You're checking a wee bit early.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo likes this.
    01-23-14 11:35 AM
    BlackBerry is able to upgrade the OS without touching the radio stack. The radio can be approved by the carrier.
    Exactly. Push current build + the associated carrier approved radio stack, done. Add to that fielding any and all support calls for that and carriers can just in theory collect cash.
    01-23-14 12:13 PM
    As usual, customers (especially those on CrackBerry) misinterpret and/or extrapolate what info they want to hear, then get disappointed and say they were lied to when their hopes and dreams don't come true

fixed that for you...

I won't be holding my breath... cuz if I made that a practice when waiting for OS updates, I'd surely be dead...
    Last edited by NinjaB; 01-23-14 at 01:27 PM. Reason: bold to make changed quote clearer
    01-23-14 12:14 PM
    Unless it has wifi calling for T-mo count me out.
    01-23-14 12:28 PM

Oh puhlyyyz.
    When you are roaming with your canadian 10.2.0 device, how does it operate on american at&t or tmobile???

Posted from Z10 with 10.2.1.1925 leak. Pwnage apparatus!
    01-23-14 12:41 PM
    For the people who don't get updates right away and leaks I hope this is true. Canada has been good on updates even tho I mostly go leaks, but it would be true awesomeness for those who don't do leaks to get proper software much faster.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    01-23-14 12:43 PM
    I'm not certain what to make of this rumor. Of course, as a Z10 user in the States, this being true would be fantastic news for me. I've been saying for a long time that since carriers only deal with the radio files on the OS anyway, BlackBerry could update the rest of the OS w/o carrier approval. This notion was strengthened by the fac that, in the States, there's no carrier support behind BlackBerry, whether its software for devices or pushing sales. At this point, BlackBerry should take its destiny into its own hands and fulfill what it thinks is in the best interest of its customers.

To those saying BlackBerry couldn't do it, in June, BlackBerry "accidentally" pushed the 10.1 update to Z10 users on AT&T, but it was quickly pulled. BlackBerry is entirely capable of pushing a global update, whether it be OTA or Link, BlackBerry can do it.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 12:44 PM
    See that's what I get for not bothering with .1925. I would have known about that slider then.
    It's not just in 1925. It may have been in 1055 and definitely in 1259!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 12:48 PM
    The carriers have no way to prevent this if BlackBerry decides to do so; the technological capability to OTA update is already in there and BlackBerry controls the actual servers and gatewaying function. The carriers could ***** about doing it OTA but they have no right to complain if the update goes over WiFi as that's not their pipe.

Further, at least in the US, if a particular radio rev has been FCC approved it has authority to operate and that's the beginning and end of it as far as legal issues are concerned.

Chen would exhibit a real pair of balls doing this, and I hope he does. It would actually bring a hell of a lot of people back to BlackBerry, at least in the US where carrier "screw you" attitudes have severely damaged the customer experience (and that's not limited to BlackBerry either; it's common to other manufacturers as well, other than Apple which never cow-towed to their crap.)
    01-23-14 12:50 PM

To those saying BlackBerry couldn't do it, in June, BlackBerry "accidentally" pushed the 10.1 update to Z10 users on AT&T, but it was quickly pulled. BlackBerry is entirely capable of pushing a global update, whether it be OTA or Link, BlackBerry can do it.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think people are questioning BlackBerry's capability of doing it but rather the carriers' willingness to allow it.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 12:51 PM
    I don't think people are questioning BlackBerry's capability of doing it but rather the carriers' willingness to allow it.

Posted via CB10
    What would they do? Hold back "support"?

They can't stop support to the customer since that's who their service contract is with, ultimately.

They couldn't really stop an upgrade directly to the phone anymore than they could stop me from loading a leak.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:38 PM
    Okay so I may be in the wrong forum, but i need help! My Z10 doesn't show up in My Computer when trying to use the BlackBerry link

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:44 PM
    I'm already on 10.2.1 It's easy, no waiting, no wondering, no carrier BS! JUST DO IT!!
    It seems there are few new features on the Malaysia Event today.
    01-23-14 01:57 PM
    Okay so I may be in the wrong forum, but i need help! My Z10 doesn't show up in My Computer when trying to use the BlackBerry link

Posted via CB10
    You're in the wrong forum.
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-23-14 01:59 PM

They can't stop support to the customer since that's who their service contract is with, ultimately.

They couldn't really stop an upgrade directly to the phone anymore than they could stop me from loading a leak.

Posted via CB10
    They could stop selling Blackberries altogether if they lose the control they want.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-23-14 02:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    If it's that simple then why doesn't everyone just push out updates? Why doesn't Samsung?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 02:10 PM
    If it's that simple then why doesn't everyone just push out updates? Why doesn't Samsung?

Posted via CB10
    That is a good question. Nowadays mobile has grown strong enough to 'persuade the carrier' if they want. Say Samsung does decide to push updates, not the radio, is VZ really going to say, "were not going to sell anymore Samsung devices now' and hand all that business to a competitor who will still sell Samsung. Same as BB, obviously not the same number of subscribers, but still, it's something that I don't think one carrier would want to hand over to another.
    01-23-14 02:21 PM
    LOL
    I saw a picture a few weeks ago that pointed out that the US has won the World Series 100+ times & Europe 0 times

Normally I would eagerly agree about the absurdity of that, but it is my understanding that for all practical purposes, Europeans have no professional sport league that plays US baseball and never have. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
    01-23-14 02:35 PM
196 ... 34567 ...