Just imagine if there was no leaks and no info regarding 10.2.1 and we got this plethora of information today. We'd be off our rockers.
    01-23-14 08:02 AM
    Attachment 240962
    Apparently 1925 will be the official release

Posted via CB10
    Well I hope they sort out the loss of sync issue with the Active Sync and Notes Traveler options. I had to downgrade to 1055 as 1925 constantly drops out.
    01-23-14 08:03 AM
    as I said many times - there is no need for BB to push the updates via carriers!

Android does that.
    Apple does that.
    BB can do it as well!

nexus does that.
    Motorola does that
    my Motorola Xoom 3G tablet has been upgraded via Wifi, even it never had a Sim Card in it.

I don't suppose it occurred to you that out of the hundreds of vendors shipping Android products, you picked the only two that are actually owned by Google itself.

THAT is why those updates bypass the carriers - they are self-supported by Google. (And tablets not sold by carriers never had that restriction because they don't make phone calls or send SMS messages)

MOST cellphones/smartphones today require carrier approval for firmware updates except the two brands you mentioned, and Apple. This has been discussed to death here. Apple made a special agreement with carriers that is almost unique in the marketplace. Not even the mighty Samsung has such an agreement with carriers, and they sell way more devices than Apple does today.

The only reason I suggested it might make sense is that the BlackBerry market share is already so low, and the carriers are expending so little effort on the brand, that allowing BlackBerry to drive that process themselves would not likely have any material impact on the carriers, and would actually free up some of their resources.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    01-23-14 08:04 AM
    I wish it were true. Believe me, Sprint doesn't care one iota about BlackBerry either.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    01-23-14 08:07 AM
    I agree, when Apple can do that, why can't BlackBerry? I mean, they both do their own hardware and software. They don't rely on a 3rd party hardware where in Android update is only possible when you're device is ready to take the throttle of new release. BlackBerry tried hard to build rapport with carriers around the globe.. I still remember a video where Thorsten visited Roger's store for the launch of BlackBerry 10 and we thought picture would change but unfortunately it did not. This is the right time when BlackBerry can change the game and start rolling out OS update independently.. if they do this, I am sure Americans would be full of joy.

One thing is for sure, American carriers are biased and they just don't like BlackBerry.. no support for a neighbourhood company?? Ehh.. come on

(No offense to anyone)

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and SDTRMG like this.
    01-23-14 08:17 AM
    as I said many times - there is no need for BB to push the updates via carriers!

Android does that.
    Apple does that.
    BB can do it as well!
    And BB will do that !
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-23-14 08:23 AM
    Everyone just slow down for a second. Does this include US as well? (devices under Verizon, ATT)
    "Global" would include the US, wouldn't it?
    01-23-14 08:33 AM
    I agree, when Apple can do that, why can't BlackBerry?

As I wrote above, this has been discussed to death here, in dedicated threads as well as as part of all sorts of other discussions.

Apple made a special deal when they were in a very powerful negotiating position and at a unique time in wireless history.

BlackBerry is not in that position today. Not even Samsung can get this kind of accomodation from carriers today and they sell more devices than Apple does.
    01-23-14 08:44 AM
    I'm already on 10.2.1 It's easy, no waiting, no wondering, no carrier BS! JUST DO IT!!
    01-23-14 08:52 AM
    I'm going to play the devils advocate here, and I am going to go out on a limb and say, BB10 OS 10.2.1xxx will be released on Monday the 27th or Tuesday the 28th to the carriers to release it. Not a global update like the playbook, but like the OS updates of the past, generally you get the UK that gets the update, and then soon after, Canada and other countries follow.

I don't think BB has the capability of bypassing the carriers. I think carriers already have the OS and they are done testing it, and carrier updates will drop either on the monday or tuesday.

Maybe once everyone is on 10.2.1xxx and the ability for automatic updates is out for everyone, THEN I think BB might be able to push updates out without carriers.
    01-23-14 08:57 AM
    Ok, then US is out of the question! Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 09:03 AM
    Great !! Global Roll Out, Big things for a Big community.
    01-23-14 09:06 AM
    Would be nice if it were true.

BlackBerry built in the ability for this from the start but it was the carriers who refused to allow it as they were the ones who would be front line support if something went wrong.

Now with carrier support seemingly drying up, maybe BlackBerry has gotten the go ahead to push it out via Link?

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    EE (UK) state that their BlackBerry 10 phones can update direct from a BlackBerry global update - no more waiting for them to approve the update first (which is what Orange always did for my legacy BlackBerry's)
    01-23-14 09:11 AM
    Why would they call it global if it's not everywhere?

From Zuri my Z10.
    Payback for the US having the gall to name a regional sport event the "World Series"
    01-23-14 09:14 AM
    How could they bypass carriers and still expect carrier unique apps like T-Mobile wifi calling to work?

As frustrated as I am with T mobile for not releasing 10.2 yet... I would be really ticked at BlackBerry if they pushed an update directly to me that disabled wifi calling.

Posted with Z10 via CB10

+1

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    01-23-14 09:30 AM
    Payback for the US having the gall to name a regional sport event the "World Series"
    LOL
    I saw a picture a few weeks ago that pointed out that the US has won the World Series 100+ times & Europe 0 times

Posted via CB10
    cantina4me likes this.
    01-23-14 09:41 AM
    How could they bypass carriers and still expect carrier unique apps like T-Mobile wifi calling to work?

As frustrated as I am with T mobile for not releasing 10.2 yet... I would be really ticked at BlackBerry if they pushed an update directly to me that disabled wifi calling.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    You will have bbm voice with the update. So get everyone on bbm and there you have wifi calling! No need for carriers!

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    01-23-14 09:46 AM
    So if they start doing global updates does that mean they'll have front-line support for consumers? I think that's a much better model than their current one...

I'm currently having issues with a z10 that I bought off Kijiji, and given that the oldest Z10 is just over a year old, it would be nice to have SOME kind of support :/
    01-23-14 09:47 AM
    Question...do unlocked devices need to go through carriers for OS updates? Do they need sim cards to update? Can they update over wifi? If a sim card is put into a unlocked device from a carrier that has release the desired OS...then update...then swap out sim card from a carrier that hasn't released the update...will there be any problems?

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    01-23-14 09:51 AM
    I guess yes, even unlocked devices are dependent on carrier release and update is possible over wifi

Also, there should not be any problem if u swap a SIM card of a carrier who has released the update as many people on CB do that.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:00 AM
    no man... I see nothing... :-(

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:03 AM
    Question...do unlocked devices need to go through carriers for OS updates? Do they need sim cards to update? Can they update over wifi? If a sim card is put into a unlocked device from a carrier that has release the desired OS...then update...then swap out sim card from a carrier that hasn't released the update...will there be any problems?

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    Unlocked has no bearing on updates other than allowing you to spoof the carrier you want it from by swapping SIMs.

A SIM is required for pushed updates to determine which carrier's update you get.

OTA updates however can still use WIFI for the actual download but the SIM determines where it comes from.
    01-23-14 10:07 AM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    carrier unique apps should be available straight from the carrier web site.

Think about it:
    You live, let's say in Canada. You have your own phone.
    Never had a T-mobile.

One day you decide to move to California. Jump to T-mobile... and?

Just navigate to carrier web site, download app and you have your functions.

that's how it should be done.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    01-23-14 10:08 AM
    Unlocked has no bearing on updates other than allowing you to spoof the carrier you want it from by swapping SIMs.

A SIM is required for pushed updates to determine which carrier's update you get.

OTA updates however can still use WIFI for the actual download but the SIM determines where it comes from.
    And when you think about it:
    Everyone, on every network, who tried the frickin Leak - they all have their phones running, disregard the carrier they are on!

that's all the point.

you should not need the carrier approval to get the update!
    01-23-14 10:10 AM
    Lol usman bro u made a thread about the same thing as me and no one came to my thread even though it was before yours guess my title caused that.

Lol guess u marketed better

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    01-23-14 10:10 AM
196 ... 23456 ...