The point of this clip is not that BBerry phones will soon be able to use NFC to make purchases. That's cool and I look forward to using that app/feature. No, the point of posting this is that Global News (the most watched morning news show here in Vancouver, BC) has just done their second positive story about RIM in a week.

This show has had a mocking tone towards RIM since I have been using the phones (started with the release of the 8900). Even though all the talking heads use BlackBerry phones, they always take a pro apple stance in every smart phone related piece they do.

Now I know that the reason we are seeing the positive spin is because there is some positive news, but I also believe there is an organic quality to the reportage we have been seeing over the last few years and that the negativity grows until that becomes the default position of the media no matter how positive the actual news is. No conspiracy here, just the herd mentality of the MSM at work.

The point is, the herd has changed direction. This is a BlackBerry forum and we SHOULD be celebrating all of this.

The latest from Global News BC:
    01-17-13 09:06 AM
    Still they missed the facts by a long margin, the solution is not just for blackberry but any device with a NFC like android, windows phone etc, this solution has a very huge potential considering the mobile payments are set to exceed $80 billion by 2017 as per the research by few firms
    01-17-13 09:52 AM
    There guys are not qualified to speak to anything. Coffee shop talk.
    01-17-13 10:07 AM
    Dig the canadian accents, haha
    01-17-13 10:16 AM
    Still they missed the facts by a long margin, the solution is not just for blackberry but any device with a NFC like android, windows phone etc, this solution has a very huge potential considering the mobile payments are set to exceed $80 billion by 2017 as per the research by few firms
    I know many phones will be made with NFC now, but does that mean the solution is available to them all? I have not heard anything about Android or Windows Phone having partnerships with MC and Visa like RIM does. I may have missed articles about it so I am genuinely asking, but I have not seen that and that is what gives RIM the edge at this point that they will be launching a brand new OS with all of this hype around it, and they can come out and officially say that they are the official mobile payment device with Visa and MC...maybe there is a partnership that will allow RIM and BB's to be the only devices able to make mobile payments with Visa?

I might be completely wrong, please let me know if I missed something in the news.
    01-17-13 10:21 AM
    No, this story has to do with Visa joining RIM's SEM tech, and giving approval for RIM to use Visa with their system. You may be thinking of last year when Paywave announced certification for a few devices (BBs and SG II among them)
    01-17-13 10:25 AM
    I know many phones will be made with NFC now, but does that mean the solution is available to them all? I have not heard anything about Android or Windows Phone having partnerships with MC and Visa like RIM does. I may have missed articles about it so I am genuinely asking, but I have not seen that and that is what gives RIM the edge at this point that they will be launching a brand new OS with all of this hype around it, and they can come out and officially say that they are the official mobile payment device with Visa and MC...maybe there is a partnership that will allow RIM and BB's to be the only devices able to make mobile payments with Visa?

I might be completely wrong, please let me know if I missed something in the news.

All Visa did was say yes to RIM's method of mobile payments. Allowing the cardholder to store Visa cardholder and card information on the SIM. Visa has many agreements with various mobile payment technologies (EnStream: Already offers mobile payment via Rogers/CIBC/Visa, so this would be another method) Announced last year, was RIM's SEM (Secure Element Manager) to manage all mobile devices equipped with NFC. A director with RIM's Mobile Payment division said it was an important step in RIM's offering Visa based payments to carriers/customers via their system.
    01-17-13 10:34 AM
    And even more positive news too come. I'm positive

We've got to remember that Global, CBC and CTV where only reporting on what their investigative news research turned up. It felt personal to us BB die-hards but it was not. It was simply reality.
    It's now in the past, the present is better and the future , once again, appears like it will be great for RIM.

Now a question.
    How do we utilize the NFC with our MC/Visa's. Do we simply add some required information into the phone (Card type, #, ExpDate etc) and it will work using a PIN or do we have to notify and get approval from our CC providers as well?
    01-17-13 10:39 AM
    I notice that he's referring to BB's as a 'smartphone' again. At the lowest end of RIM's rock bottom last year, many of these media types were not even including them in this category anymore!
    01-17-13 10:50 AM
    There guys are not qualified to speak to anything. Coffee shop talk.
    Agreed. Look at it like OP does, whether or not these two have deep tech knowledge isn't important. Their excitement may be better received by the general public, who would be watching.

I'm especially glad they showed ONLY the new 'berries. Frickin pisses me off seeing BB10 stories get BBOS graphics/vids.
    01-17-13 10:52 AM
    No, this story has to do with Visa joining RIM's SEM tech, and giving approval for RIM to use Visa with their system. You may be thinking of last year when Paywave announced certification for a few devices (BBs and SG II among them)
    If you know how insecure android os is, you would want the take the risk
    01-17-13 11:21 AM
    No SEM is a platform independent and a backend solution. It was work with any device with NFC. Check out the press release

"The full press release is below, but Frank Maduri, Senior Director, NFC Services and TSM Product Management at RIM, stated that “the approval from Visa of RIM’s SEM solution is an important step in that it will enable carriers to support Visa issuing banks and financial institutions. We now offer carriers a robust solution with around-the-clock global support that works on any NFC-capable device, and meets the stringent technology and usability guidelines for Visa.”"

"RIM’s SEM solution is designed to securely manage credentials on SIM (subscriber identity module) cards installed in all types of mobile devices, including BlackBerry® smartphones, Android™ devices, and Windows phones. “We selected RIM for their long-standing relationships with mobile operators and financial institutions, and their track record of operating a secure network for connected services,” said Almis Ledas, Chief Operating Officer of EnStream. “By adopting the secure GSMA Global Platform standard and using SEM infrastructure hosted and operated by RIM, consumers and financial institutions can have full confidence in financial credentials enabled through EnStream.”

RIM gets Visa approval for mobile payments via NFC - Computerworld

RIM
    01-17-13 11:29 AM

RIM's SEM is a platform independent solution, RIM is currently partnering with a lot of carriers to push the mobile payments via any phone. Getting an approval from VISA is a feather in it's cap, yes nobody apart from Google is pursuing mobile payments at the moment but never the less this approval gives RIM an advantage and right partnerships can make it the go to solution on any mobile platform. Check out this article

01-17-13 11:33 AM
    If you know how insecure android os is, you would want the take the risk
    I have been using my G3 for mobile payments(for months). I don't even have an anti-virus installed on my device! There is no risk.

The risk is people who do not know what they are doing and download from unknown sources and questionable sites. The risk is rooting your device without fully realizing the potential consequences of those actions when combined with the previous one.

I am more at risk crossing the street on a red light.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-17-13 at 11:40 AM. Reason: not enough ys
    01-17-13 11:35 AM
    No SEM is a platform independent and a backend solution. It was work with any device with NFC. Check out the press release

"The full press release is below, but Frank Maduri, Senior Director, NFC Services and TSM Product Management at RIM, stated that “the approval from Visa of RIM’s SEM solution is an important step in that it will enable carriers to support Visa issuing banks and financial institutions. We now offer carriers a robust solution with around-the-clock global support that works on any NFC-capable device, and meets the stringent technology and usability guidelines for Visa.”"

"RIM’s SEM solution is designed to securely manage credentials on SIM (subscriber identity module) cards installed in all types of mobile devices, including BlackBerry® smartphones, Android™ devices, and Windows phones. “We selected RIM for their long-standing relationships with mobile operators and financial institutions, and their track record of operating a secure network for connected services,” said Almis Ledas, Chief Operating Officer of EnStream. “By adopting the secure GSMA Global Platform standard and using SEM infrastructure hosted and operated by RIM, consumers and financial institutions can have full confidence in financial credentials enabled through EnStream.”

RIM
    I know that. Yet the story was on Visa's approval of their information and services being used with RIM's mobile payment platform. You posted that they had missed the facts, but they didn't. If you look at Post #7, you will see I posted that SEM will work with all devices equipped with NFC.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-17-13 at 11:39 AM. Reason: too many iiiiiiiis
    01-17-13 11:38 AM