iOS Apps Can Run on a PlayBook, Kinda

iOS Apps Can Run on a PlayBook, Kinda

iOS Apps Can Run on a PlayBook, Kinda If you somehow happen to own a BlackBerry PlayBook: we're very sorry for you. But still, don't be too sad, because apparently it's possible to port iOS apps so that they run on your awful piece of hardware!

A user by the name of Businesscat2000 has posted a handful of videos which show iOS apps running on a PlayBook. Understandably, his claims were met with skepticism on the CrackBerry Forums, until one user sent him an iPhone-only app, which he then got up and running on a PlayBook within an hour. Hmmm.

Sadly, this isn't going to turn your PlayBook into a piece of hardware worth owning.
    If it takes an expert an hour to port a single app, it's unlikely you'll be able to get it up and running. Also, the apps will only run at 480 x 320 resolution. Still, that doesn't take away from the fact that it's an impressive accomplishment.

I usually enjoy Gizmodo, but articles like this make me appreciate sites like Engadget all the more. Engadget usually just reports the facts, maybe a bit of praise here and there, but you rarely see them just injecting little insults like that for no reason.

If anyone has a Gawker account I suggest you go tell them off in the comments. :P

edit: meant this to go in General Discussion. Can I move it and if so, how? If not, could a mod please do so. Sorry.
    Last edited by Saul89; 06-13-12 at 07:35 AM.
    06-13-12 07:32 AM
    I read this in my news feed an decided to delete them.
    06-13-12 08:32 AM
    I forgot they existed. Sad thing is the PlayBook is neck and neck with the ipad except for screen size and app catalog. I guess the apple d*ck riding is still live in kinda glad docomo doesn't allow the iphone on its network.
    06-13-12 08:33 AM
    Why are you surprised? It's one thing to brush it off. It's another altogether to get such a hating spin on this development.

Classic insecurity masked over with condescending arrogance.

Let this one go people, it's so obvious.
    06-13-12 08:37 AM
    Well it looks like he's getting attacked by the commentators.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    06-13-12 08:47 AM
    to once again quote a great man

People still read Gizmodo?
    06-13-12 09:02 AM
    I love how he is bashing the hardware of the Playbook. When the Playbook launched that was the only good reviewed part of the Playbook. It certainly is an impressive feat to get iOS apps running on the Playbook and my hat is off to the developer who made it happen. Thank you Businesscat2000
    06-13-12 09:03 AM
    The Verge doesn't like the PB either.

RIM may be busy crafting BlackBerry 10 and its next generation of devices, but the BlackBerry PlayBook isn't going completely neglected. Businesscat2000, over on the CrackBerry Forums, has posted multiple videos of a rather incredible feat he has achieved: porting iOS apps to run on the PlayBook OS. His initial claim has been met with a wave of dubiety and skepticism, as it should be given the general difficulty of porting anything iOS-related, but he has silenced the doubters by porting over an iPhone-only app sent to him directly by CrackBerry's Kevin Michaluk, getting it up and running on the PlayBook within an hour. We've also seen the iOS versions of Tiny Tower, TomTom's navigation app, and a number of others demonstrated.

Unfortunately, none of this looks likely to produce an easy solution for PlayBook owners to start downloading and installing iOS apps to their QNX-powered tablet — and the resolution right now is the somewhat ancient 480 x 320 — but this is definitely an impressive technical feat, whether it makes living with RIM's PlayBook any easier or not.
    iOS apps made to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook | The Verge

I don't remember too many of the major tech sites really stating they liked the PB. I think it's a great little tablet.
    06-13-12 09:59 AM
    Seriously, credit where it due.
    I have just sucked on a lemon, let me go and tell him what I think of people looking down on businesscat2000's achievement.
    06-13-12 10:08 AM
    Perhaps the stupidest article I've ever seen
    06-13-12 10:17 AM
    Problem with these articles is that unfortunately many people keep coming back to see what is bering posted becasue it is inflamitory.... reason you keep seeing them....
    06-13-12 10:27 AM
    I am sure they are getting paid to say such dumb things.....
    06-13-12 10:27 AM
    I forgot they existed. Sad thing is the PlayBook is neck and neck with the ipad except for screen size and app catalog.
    For a lot of appcentric consumers, that's kind of like saying a horse is on par with a car if you ignore the pesky think called an engine.

In any case, we tend to give reviewers WAY too much power. Who cares what they think if YOU like the product YOU own?
    joski, Hamp and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-13-12 10:43 AM
    Wow. That was BGR quality trash.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-13-12 10:50 AM
    Sad thing is the PlayBook is neck and neck with the ipad except for screen size and app catalog.
    Huh?

The except part are the main reasons it's at 20%.
    jpash549 likes this.
    06-13-12 11:04 AM
    Huh?

The except part are the main reasons it's at 20%.
    And "number sold" I missed that one sorry. Hardware and software wise they pretty much do the samething I love my 64gb PlayBook.
    06-13-12 11:29 AM
    I am sure they are getting paid to say such dumb things.....
    Perhaps they came into the world dumb. Its always that option if its needed.
    06-13-12 11:32 AM
    For a lot of appcentric consumers, that's kind of like saying a horse is on par with a car if you ignore the pesky think called an engine.

In any case, we tend to give reviewers WAY too much power. Who cares what they think if YOU like the product YOU own?

Marry me.

10 char
    06-13-12 11:36 AM
    Marry me.

10 char
    Kevin I never knew crackberry had a match.com plug-in lol.
    06-13-12 11:40 AM
    Just let some wise people read the main information here : iOs apps may run on the PlayBook, and it's been a "single man" exploit. I wonder how long they will take to state things like "hey, imagine what a 10 team with money can do ?" ... and maybe some raising funds for the project ... I'd be dancin' at least a whole night: too bad Qnbelt is occupied with trelawrence

edit : i wonder if there is an opportunity w/ janeka ?
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBFY3EjSZRE[/YT]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-13-12 at 11:44 AM.
    06-13-12 11:41 AM
    Kevin I never knew crackberry had a match.com plug-in lol.
    has it ?
    06-13-12 11:42 AM
    Just let some wise people read the main information here : iOs apps may run on the PlayBook, and it's been a "single man" exploit. I wonder how long they will take to state things like "hey, imagine what a 10 team with money can do ?" ... and maybe some raising funds for the project ... I'd be dancin' at least a whole night: too bad Qnbelt is occupied with trelawrence

edit : i wonder if there is an opportunity w/ janeka ?
    Omg... Lol
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-13-12 11:59 AM
    Wow. Took a while, but we've finally discovered the world's first use for the PlayBook.
    06-13-12 12:14 PM
    Marry me.

10 char
    Please... I declared love for you YEARS ago and you are just coming round? You're lucky I'm pitiful like that!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-13-12 12:20 PM
    gizmodo is just trying to get on apples good side after apple banned them for life from attending any conferences following the iphone 4 stolen phone debacle. sadly as bad as gizmodo is for a tech blog, it's one of the highest viewed in the world. gawker makes crazy amounts of money and gets more hits than cnn.
    06-13-12 12:58 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD