Gizmodo is at it again.

If This Is Blackberry�s New OS, It Looks Very Familiar�

By Mario Aguilar

Vietnamese site Tinhte (link currently down) claims to have gotten its hands on some advanced screenshots of BB10, which is expected to launch at the end of next month. For the revamped operating system, it looks like RIM has taken pieces from Apple, Google, and Microsoft competitors and jammed them together. It's the best looking thing RIM has ever done, but sadly, it still doesn't look very good.

First, a disclaimer: These are supposed leaks that we can't verify, but, based on what we've seen from an offical video before, these are totally believable screenshots of the forthcoming OS.

The overall UI is pretty conservative, which isn't terrible considering the prototypical BlackBerry user needs something easy to use. The homescreen and pull down menus look like a direct descendent of Samsung's TouchWiz skin for Android. The icon design is pretty horrendous. What's up with the shadowing behind the icons and why is the LinkedIn Foursquare icon bigger than the others? Hopefully that dimension within the icon will be standardized for the final version. The skeuomorphic page flapping in the wind on the calendar icon doesn't bode well either. Also, please tell us which enterprise Blackberry client is going to enjoy an app called story maker.

Here we see what appears to be some kind of voice search application. A Siri for Blackberry perhaps. The boxy design of those dialogues sure reminds us of Windows Phone, but that square microphone button at the button doesn't quite do it for us. Maybe RIM is just trying to avoid getting sued by Apple over the design of the Siri mic button.

Blackberry Hub is the central messaging system for BB10. Hard to judge from what we see here. But then, it's a little worrisome that we can't tell what's going on from a graphical UI standpoint by glancing at it either. It all looks very redundant.

Mercifully, Twitter and Facebook look more or less the way they do on other mobile operating systems.

We'll see what RIM shows us when BB10 is officially launch on January 30 in NYC.
    If This Is Blackberry's New OS, It Looks Very Familiar...
    12-17-12 04:37 PM
    Bunch of Wankers.
    ad19, BBPandy, Jake Storm and 11 others like this.
    12-17-12 05:06 PM
    Wow, that's a pretty rabid, entirely biased preview.
    12-17-12 05:08 PM
    They can't tell "what's going on" by glancing at the hub? How easily confused is gizmodo?
    12-17-12 05:13 PM
    BB10 looks better than the Gizmodo website.
    pacman84, kemj, zyben and 25 others like this.
    12-17-12 05:15 PM
    My old man has a saying ....."how can everyone else be wrong, and you be right?"

Everyone else has had nothing but praise for BB10 ..... perhaps Gizmondo should rethink their position, or face looking like complete fools, and loose credibility
    12-17-12 05:17 PM
    Those guys are pathetic. I'll never understand where their blackberry hate comes from.
    12-17-12 05:18 PM
    Wait... they're upset that it is just parts ripped off from other OSes, but they are HAPPY that the FaceBook and Twitter apps look the same as every other OS...

12-17-12 05:18 PM
    The overall UI is pretty conservative, which isn't terrible considering the prototypical Apple user needs something easy to use. The homescreen and pull down menus look like a direct descendent of Samsung's TouchWiz skin for Android. The icon design is pretty horrendous. What's up with the shadowing behind the icons and why is the LinkedIn Foursquare icon bigger than the others? Hopefully that dimension within the icon will be standardized for the final version. The skeuomorphic page flapping in the wind on the calendar icon doesn't bode well either. Also, please tell us which enterprise Blackberry client is going to enjoy an app called story maker.

Here we see what appears to be some kind of voice search application. A Siri for Apple perhaps. The boxy design of those dialogues sure reminds us of Android Phone, but that square microphone button at the button doesn't quite do it for us. Maybe Apple is just trying to avoid getting sued by Android over the design of the Siri mic button.

Blackberry Hub is the central messaging system for BB10. There is no central hub for messaging. Hard to judge from what we see here. But then, it's a little worrisome that we can't tell what's going on from a graphical UI standpoint by glancing at it either. It all looks very redundant old and boring.

Mercifully, Twitter and Facebook look more or less the way they do on other mobile operating systems.

We'll see what Apple shows us when iOS 7 is officially launch on January 30 in NYC essentially the same as the previous five versions.
    12-17-12 05:20 PM
    I don't think its biased. Being bias has to include knowledge. Which comes from experience. and since this writer is basing his opinion on pics and vids, and not hands-on, I cal, it yet another misinformed article.
    And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't android an admitted "iOS" clone?
    12-17-12 05:50 PM
    My old man has a saying ....."how can everyone else be wrong, and you be right?"

Everyone else has had nothing but praise for BB10 ..... perhaps Gizmondo should rethink their position, or face looking like complete fools, and loose credibility
    BB10 has received its share of criticism as well from other sources, don't kid yourself.

That being said, I put zero stock in anything Gizmodo posts. They're generally jerks about everything.
    bruce807 likes this.
    12-17-12 06:14 PM
    i guess they are cheesed that they didnt get any tester phones... lol
    12-17-12 06:55 PM
    Not sure what he said that's untrue. The shadows behind the icons do look horrendous and take up more screen space than they need to. The OS is boring looking...like iPhone boring. He didn't even get in to the hardware side of things which is even worse. A nice inch gap on top and bottom is ridiculous. BB needs to give up on the hardware front and concentrate solely on the OS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    12-17-12 07:31 PM
    I actually dislike gizmodo more than i dislike bgr.
    12-17-12 08:28 PM
    Not sure what he said that's untrue. The shadows behind the icons do look horrendous and take up more screen space than they need to. The OS is boring looking...like iPhone boring. He didn't even get in to the hardware side of things which is even worse. A nice inch gap on top and bottom is ridiculous. BB needs to give up on the hardware front and concentrate solely on the OS.

Security isn't always in the software.
    12-17-12 08:35 PM
    Gizmodo, as well as the whole of the Gawker Media group they belong to, is full of sensationalist claptrap. They know that there's still a wave of BlackBerry hate to catch for those extra hits. Now watch them praise it like the second coming if everyone loves it.
    12-17-12 08:40 PM
    Wait... they're upset that it is just parts ripped off from other OSes, but they are HAPPY that the FaceBook and Twitter apps look the same as every other OS...

Im glad someone else also picked up on that.

Blackberry Hub is the central messaging system for BB10. Hard to judge from what we see here. But then, it's a little worrisome that we can't tell what's going on from a graphical UI standpoint by glancing at it either. It all looks very redundant.
    Translation:

herp derp here's a function that hasn't been enabled yet, and i cant use it. herp derp i can't figure out what a list of accounts in a unified inbox could possibly be for derp. i guess it must suck because functionality is disabled and i've never seen a demonstration to know what it is herp.

Seriously, the only thing redundant is that sentence. Hard to judge what? They don't even bother to explain what it is about the hub they don't like and/or get.
    12-17-12 09:07 PM
    They are most likely just mad because they didn't get invited to the launch event.
    Sorry, Gizmodo... you suck... still.
    12-17-12 09:15 PM

So would you rather have gigantic icons? Or 20 little square ios esque icons on a screen? Ok so the os IS boring like ios? Active frames, peek and flow. Very very boring indeed right? What you are looking at is a row of icons. Hey guess what android has rows of icons. Meego did. Webos did. Wp8 does. Ios does. Everything has icons in a static row at some point. And you do realize that the "inch" of space on the top and bottom of the screen serve a purpose right?
    Black bezel on top and bottom of the screen are touch sensative and are used for navigating the os and basic functions of the phone. The top and bottom black bar are there for you to hold, because otherwise, you would be activating different things within the os.
    12-17-12 10:15 PM
    We'll see what Apple shows us when iOS 7 is officially launch on January 30 in NYC essentially the same as the previous five versions.
    That was epic
    12-17-12 11:00 PM
    oh jizzbozo...i mean, for every bad there's good right and vice versa. they're just trying to equal out the latest positiveness thats all.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-18-12 01:19 AM
    I can't believe they made the off the wall statement about BB users needing simple. All my friends ***** about BB being confusing and complicated with all the menu's and options. Granted I have a ton of iOS loving friends :/
    12-18-12 02:15 AM
    You can't even really call it opinion or hate, it's just a follower trying to fit in - but he didn't see the rest of the parade make the turn.
    Oh, and " Originally Posted by Admorris " -- this part says all anybody needs to know --Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    You see? Some things really are self-limiting...
    12-18-12 02:44 AM
    Look at it the way you must read it.
    "I'm desperately searching points to criticize and I only can tackle some UI design; yes I know, it's not final but I must foam the story to get hits".
    @OP : Please remove that link; don't give exposure and search engine promotion to crap.
    12-18-12 03:15 AM
    I do not agree with most of what he wrote.. His judgement is based on nothing!
    But I do agree on the icons. I really love the whole look, but I don't like the design of a few icons like Media, Messages, Pictures, Videos.. A more polish look would be awesome. Something I asked myself too is the icon size. Really.. Why are some icons bigger then others? But I think its not that bad just because of the grey background..
    12-18-12 03:32 AM
84 123 ...