Thanks JS, and thanks Kevin for your donation. I will be editing the post tonight again to reflect the new Bold accessories the eShopLimited.com donated. Thanks chinesecatt!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 07:57 PM
    New Prizes added, 10 BlackBerry BOLD skins in Black
    08-19-08 08:57 PM
    bump for the gold!
    08-20-08 09:12 AM
    I know we are just hours away from the deadline. Where are we on the amount of donations?
    09-07-08 09:22 PM
    Although donors are anxious to hear the prize winners, most importantly, we need to hear if we were able to make a difference and was the member able to keep their home. There were seveal posts from people who were concerned about the validity of this request. Because of that, I think it is even more important that there be an update on the status of the recepient.
    09-17-08 06:34 AM
    Here is a copy of an update posted on Blackberry Forums.Today, 08:56 PM by TroyDBrown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[COLOR="Red"]Hello everyone. Here is your long awaited update. I am doing it because I was waiting for NickFromIL to post and he has been unavailable due to personal reasons. Nick was able to transfer the funds today.

The total raised was $1625

The person it was for worked hard to secure a new job and a second job to get back on their feet.

The house HAS been saved thanks to all of your donations. If anyone who donated could please PM me with a copy of their PayPal confirmation I will make sure to get you into the Giveaways. We want to make sure everyone is accounted for in the giveaway.

Again everyone involved thanks you and we will have additional updates soon.[/COLOR="RED"]

As soon as I can get contact information for TroyDBrown I will post that.
    09-23-08 10:32 PM
    Hey Crackberry friends, here is a the current status of this deal:

NickfromIL, i.e., Nick Amsbaugh, started this thread here on CB and simultaneously at two other BlackBerry forum sites (BlackBerryForums.com and BlackBerryBoards.com) all about the same time.

FIRST off, some notes: This "fundraiser" was not a part of CrackBerry.com, not sanctioned, not approved by nor managed by this Forum (or any of those listed above). It was the idea of the individual above and the funds were collected by him, to be forwarded to the individual in need.

AS OF TODAY, October 28, 2008, no funds have been transferred to the individual for which the funds were raised. As far as we know, NickfromIL has divereted the funds raised to his own use.

When I first saw this thread posted by NickfromIL, I immediately inquired about the need of the individual and that individual's identity, just for my own verification of the need. Learning that, I knew there was need involved, and dropped my contribution in the hat, along with many others from this Forum and the others.

Fast forward a month or so: Nick reported in the thread the total of about $1500, and became somewhat more allusive to communicate with. A couple of other members here and another Moderator from BlackBerryForums.com, TroyDBrown, made efforts to communicate with him and they received less than immediate answers and less than satisfactory responses that the funds had been transferred to the individual in need. NickfromIL at that time also communicated with the individual in need promising an electronic bank transfer, but that never occurred, or at least, was declined by the originating bank on two occasions.

About the end of October, TroyDBrown forwarded to me a timeline of these events with all the details as he recalled them. I have forwarded this information to an attorney in Illinois for simple advice as to what step should be taken next (criminal charges, civil, bloodletting, etc). My attorney there has been out of state for two weeks and I will speak further with him this or next week after his return.

None of us know totally where or what Nick planned to get prizes from for this giveaway. One of those we do know, HorizonWirelessOnline has stated they will certainly provide the "prizes" as promised. So, a drawing of those who have PM'ed TroyDBrown will be entered into a drawing soon. We don't know when, but those of us are at least trying to rectify some wrong here.

The loser in this sad episode is the individual who did need the funds. He is ok now. He could certainly use the funds, and God can work miracles (and so can Clemenza or Tessio, for that matter!).

The bottom line is this:

Yes, there was a scam, we were all scammed by NickfromIL.

No, the matter is not closed. Legal routes are being sought, both criminal fraud and civil.

Yes, the drawing will be held, in some fashion.

Feel free to PM me with questions or if you have information, or receipts of your donation (paypal receipts) to TroyDBrown.
    Last edited by jsanders; 10-28-08 at 11:30 PM.
    10-28-08 11:15 PM

tough to believe anyone in this world. thank you for keeping us here at CB updated jsanders!
    10-28-08 11:26 PM
    I had no idea of this. I did read the history behind it.

How long before all the vouchers for Mr. Nick the scammer start posting?

If you are going to scam someone at least have the 'nads to do it face to face!
    10-28-08 11:42 PM
    WOW, unbelievable!
    10-28-08 11:50 PM
    Wow. Some people are truly sad and pathetic individuals...

10-28-08 11:52 PM
    I had no idea of this. I did read the history behind it.

How long before all the vouchers for Mr. Nick the scammer start posting?

If you are going to scam someone at least have the 'nads to do it face to face!
    I vouched for him. What exactly are you trying to say?
    10-29-08 12:09 AM
    I vouched for him. What exactly are you trying to say?
    First, of all I was curious if those who had vouched for him were still following this situation.

Second, "And if Nick should suddenly disappear into the blue, those of you telling us to lighten up would be the first to say, "I didnt expect that to happen!"

Third, scammers are pathetic and ball-less! Thieves have no honor!!!
    10-29-08 01:20 AM

those of you
    I haven't told anyone to "lighten up". So don't speak so broadly about who made those comments. People who donated, myself included, have plenty of reason to be pissed and I haven't said otherwise.
    10-29-08 01:33 AM
    First, of all I was curious if those who had vouched for him were still following this situation.

Second, "And if Nick should suddenly disappear into the blue, those of you telling us to lighten up would be the first to say, "I didnt expect that to happen!"

Third, scammers are pathetic and ball-less! Thieves have no honor!!!
    Well seeing as I am the one who used the "lighten up" comment ( a comment
    which I did apologize to ScandaLex for using, as it was quite cavalier),
    I can say I did not expect that to happen.

But you know what. The person in need had a serious and legitimate need
    so I make no apologies for championing his cause. What this d-head did
    with the money after the fact is beside the point. Every one of of who tried
    to help did so for the right reasons, and that I would do again for any of you.
    10-29-08 01:40 AM
    Dude you are such a LOSER!!! Using a story that you knew would deeply touch all of us. You suck, and you fail at life. Karma is gonna get you, this I know for sure. Yea you may have "thought" you got over on people...once again you FAIL AT LIFE! How can you look at your family members in the eyes when you have no honor, loyalty, or balls? You are the equivalent of Jose Canseco

10-29-08 01:46 AM
    JSanders - Thanks for the update here. I know that's a tough forum post to write. The community appreciates it.

NickfromIL - No comment. I think the other members who read this will tear into you enough. But seriously... Not Cool.

There have been other donation threads in the BlackBerry Community in the past, both on this forum and others, and I have contributed to them. There have been individuals who have greatly benefited from the coming together of the BlackBerry Community who have desperately needed it.

This seems to be the case of one bad egg. Just like any large community (CB does have a population bigger than a lot of cities!) 99.9999999999999% of us have nothing but positive intent, but occasionally bad stuff can happen. The community is always looking out for the bad, and does put in its share of due diligence, but despite that things like this can happen.

For everyone's best interest, in the future threads like this will not be permitted unless we know in advance beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are on the up and up. And even if/when permitted, I want to ensure this never happens again. A solution moving forward might be for an intermediary (someone like me) to temporary act as escrow. Funds would only be transferred to the recipient at the end and upon sufficient proof of need. And if anything like this were to happen again, funds would be transferred back to those who contributed immediately. That's a thought for now anyways.

To anybody who contributed - thanks for having a good heart. Despite the current lack of a positive immediate outcome, I'm sure your generosity will come back multiplied. Good things come to good people!
    10-29-08 02:30 AM
    Kevin, I appreciate your openess about this as well.

For all--I don't think this is the last we will hear of this matter. I fully expect it to run its gamut through the legal system, and/or when NickfromIL decides to come clean.

I will keep you updated in this thread. I would just encourage you to remember that your generosity and open heart is not one bit lessened by this scammer's actions, and that in the end, your gift may find its way to the need where it was intended.
    10-29-08 08:57 AM
    Nick,

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. Don't you know that you are pathetic? You worthless bag of filth. As we say in Michigan, I'll bet you couldn't pour **** out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you. You are a bloody nardless newbie twit protohominid chromosomally aberrant caricature of a coprophagic cloacal parasitic pond scum and I wish you would go away.

You're a putrescence mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a ****, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating fool, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

If you aren't an *****, you made a world-class effort at simulating one. Try to edit your writing of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly.

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your ignoble blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite, foolish beliefs.

You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot.

And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped away most of what you wrote, because, well... it didn't really say anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was pitiful. I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find these things more difficult. If I had known, that this was your case then I would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been "right". Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

P.S.: You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, Byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, abrasive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-********, puerile, clueless, and generally Not Good.
    10-29-08 09:17 AM
    Nick,

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. Don't you know that you are pathetic? You worthless bag of filth. As we say in Michigan, I'll bet you couldn't pour **** out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you. You are a bloody nardless newbie twit protohominid chromosomally aberrant caricature of a coprophagic cloacal parasitic pond scum and I wish you would go away.

You're a putrescence mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a ****, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating fool, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

If you aren't an *****, you made a world-class effort at simulating one. Try to edit your writing of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly.

You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your ignoble blood. May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite, foolish beliefs.

You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot.

And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile one-handed slack-jawed drooling meatslapper.

On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped away most of what you wrote, because, well... it didn't really say anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was pitiful. I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find these things more difficult. If I had known, that this was your case then I would have never read your post. It just wouldn't have been "right". Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

P.S.: You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, Byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, abrasive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-********, puerile, clueless, and generally Not Good.
    Holy crap!!!
    10-29-08 09:26 AM
    I think Kevin's fix will help a lot in the future, and going into the holidays, it's a good thing, as more scams of this nature are/were bound to be hitting the forums, if they haven't already.

Too bad that another person's hardship has turned into a means for personal gain. But the mind set is not new, look at what happens after each natural disaster, someone decides to go door to door with a can labeled for the victims of XYZ and people plop in their money, only to find out three days later on the local news that people going door to door are scammers.

Oh and Audit, you forgot Doo doo head!
    10-29-08 10:47 AM
    wow, i remember this thread from ages ago... i knew something smelled wrong...
    10-29-08 10:54 AM
    Ummm you are donating through paypal. If it is a scam, you could get your money back. Now if you don't want to donate, that's something else, but please don't make excuses
    Does this mean people who donated could get their money back?
    10-29-08 11:44 AM
    Oh wow... this is crazy...

can't trust anyone anymore huh??
    10-29-08 11:45 AM
    Oh wow... this is crazy...

can't trust anyone anymore huh??

And as for the posting a couple postings ahead of me.... holy friggin crap dude!

I now have about 50 words to add to my vocabulary... If anything good came from this it would be that we learned a bunch of really awesome put downs LOFL
    10-29-08 11:47 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD