My girlfriend broke her newly purchased 9700 screen. I have no idea how she did it, because I've dropped several of my Blackberries many times, even on pavement, and never got any damage worse than a scratched bezel.

The phone was purchased unlocked less about a week ago, from a 3rd party dealer for close to $700 with taxes. The dealer obviously could care less about taking back a phone with a cracked screen.

I think we can still get T-Mobile's replacement/theft warranty, which is only $5.99 a month with a $40 deductible. Has anyone dealt with warranty replacements before? Is it no questions asked? How long would we need to wait before filing a claim?
    07-29-10 12:43 PM
    you best best would be to get on someplace like cnn.cn and replace the screen your self.

I don't think T-Mo will do "post happenings" insurance.
    07-29-10 12:44 PM
    Clearly they won't, but it's not like there's a way to determine whether the screen was cracked on July 27 or July 29. Like I said, the phone was only purchased 4 days ago.
    07-29-10 01:00 PM
    Clearly they won't, but it's not like there's a way to determine whether the screen was cracked on July 27 or July 29. Like I said, the phone was only purchased 4 days ago.
    correct, and the IMEI number will show up on their side the day the SIM card went into it. Now if you were to call today, and 3 days later call back and say "hey phone has a cracked screen" something /IMHO/ would throw a flag up.
    07-29-10 01:12 PM
    Always worth a shot to see if the carrier will replace the device. Otherwise just install a replacement screen yourself. It isn't too difficult if you are relatively tech-savvy, and can be done for well under $100.
    07-29-10 01:26 PM
    the only problem is the screen/LCD and not the whole phone. so i think even if you somehow " work your way around the system" of the T-Mo insurance.. they'll just replace the LCD and give you the same unit.
    check your local " phone doctors"/ cellphone repair shops as well.
    07-29-10 01:39 PM
    the only problem is the screen/LCD and not the whole phone. so i think even if you somehow " work your way around the system" of the T-Mo insurance.. they'll just replace the LCD and give you the same unit.
    check your local " phone doctors"/ cellphone repair shops as well.
    Carriers never repair phones, they always replace them. Except for the possibility of a trackball replacement in devices of 2+ years ago, no carrier keeps spare parts for theses phones on hand. They have millions of devices, it is far cheaper to simply replace the device itself.
    07-29-10 01:41 PM
    Carriers never repair phones, they always replace them. Except for the possibility of a trackball replacement in devices of 2+ years ago, no carrier keeps spare parts for theses phones on hand. They have millions of devices, it is far cheaper to simply replace the device itself.
    i guess you're right.. but what's the replacement.. Refurbished.. or like New.

when my iphone encountered a problem 3 months within warranty..
    i have to go to an apple store to have a genius look at it..
    they took it and gave the same phone to me after a week.
    07-29-10 01:45 PM
    Your g/f sounds like a big Klutz. She spends 700.00 on the device then busts it. At any rate, I would replace it myself if I were you.
    07-29-10 01:52 PM
    now you have a chance to try out a non-blackberry phone
    07-29-10 02:20 PM
    A replacement screen is $120 plus shipping, plus the risk of messing it up. Definitely not going to bother
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-29-10 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
    07-29-10 02:29 PM
    Always worth a shot to see if the carrier will replace the device.
    You mean try to get it replaced as part of an insurance claim or just go to the store, play dumb, and say "I don't know why my screen went all black?"

I've definitely tried the latter with Sprint, and it sometimes works but is a hassle and usually involves harassing Retention and other stressful steps . Not sure if T-mobile is different.
    07-29-10 02:33 PM
    Is the screen actually cracked? Or is the LCD just black?
    07-29-10 03:51 PM
    Is the screen actually cracked? Or is the LCD just black?
    That's my question too. You may just have a loose connection and can fix it yourself for free. Once you do, buy a case that will absorb the shock of a drop so it won't happen again. Much cheaper to buy a case than the replacement parts and without the hassle of dealing with the carrier.
    07-29-10 04:17 PM
    It bleeds black over the visible portion of the screen, and it's gotten worse after someone at work offered her to fix it and pressed on it even more.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-29-10 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
    07-29-10 04:26 PM
    Get a new girlfriend! lol Sorry I couldn't resist...
    07-29-10 07:08 PM
    Who the **** spends $700 on a phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 11:04 AM

Someone who's high maintenance.
    07-30-10 11:08 AM

And doesn't shop around? Even without a contract they aren't that expensive. The mind boggles.
    07-30-10 11:28 AM
    And doesn't shop around? Even without a contract they aren't that expensive. The mind boggles.
    yea, i'm selling my unlocked T-Mo branded 9700 tomorrow on craigslist for less than 200.... dunno, don't care... not my money.
    07-30-10 11:50 AM
    A replacement screen is $120 plus shipping, plus the risk of messing it up. Definitely not going to bother
    I found replacement screens for my BB9000 on eBay for under $40.00. A couple of things about this:
    1. Check out the merchant's feedback carefully.
    2. I don't know about the 9700, but there are three types of 9000 displays. Mine is an 003/004 and the only way to find out is to take the display off the mainboard and note the numbers on the back.

Otherwise, it is fairly simple to replace one.
    07-30-10 01:56 PM
    Why was it 700 dollars is my question? I thought brand new, these were 500 and some change?

I am contracted so only spent 100 on mine....

07-31-10 07:11 AM
    It was purchased without a contract and unlocked. She lives in a GSM country where these phones aren't available and won't be for a while.
    07-31-10 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD