Not in the browser though.. . You get from slight delay to huge delays (depends if rich text is enabled).
    Anyway, your message (the first part) including your username tells us more about you. Hello, there are people that use both platforms and aren't blind fanboys that think like <=5 yrs old kids.

@mvpcrossxover you can edit ID3 tags with a 3rdparty app called ID3iot.

You gotta be kiddin.. You derailed first in post #4 with "They only sell because of social circle and awesome customer satisfaction ". It is cool to blame others, right?

Now on topic.
    I think you cannot classify a Gimmicks something that's useful. Remember the first phones: they had basic functions for their main purpose: calls and text messages. In time, we got internet (CSD/GPRS), MP3 support, camera, IR port, GPS, etc etc that revolutionized the mobile phones industry, user isn't forced anymore to carry an mp3 player, pda, GPS, pocket camera, etc.. or use a TV Remote.. they have all the handy stuff in one single device.

If we extend the gimmicks to PP (picture protect) then we can say that rotation animation is a gimmick, transition animations the same.. Those are functionality that doesn't offer any real utility, it just pleases the eye and make the actions more "natural".
    Did I talk about it having gimmicks? No! The post deals with that and I was more aiming for android specifically Samsung users.. but hey iphones are the best awesomeest things evaaaaaa

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    04-12-14 08:00 AM
    Not in the browser though.. . You get from slight delay to huge delays (depends if rich text is enabled).
    Anyway, your message (the first part) including your username tells us more about you. Hello, there are people that use both platforms and aren't blind fanboys that think like <=5 yrs old kids.

@mvpcrossxover you can edit ID3 tags with a 3rdparty app called ID3iot.

You gotta be kiddin.. You derailed first in post #4 with "They only sell because of social circle and awesome customer satisfaction ". It is cool to blame others, right?

Now on topic.
    I think you cannot classify a Gimmicks something that's useful. Remember the first phones: they had basic functions for their main purpose: calls and text messages. In time, we got internet (CSD/GPRS), MP3 support, camera, IR port, GPS, etc etc that revolutionized the mobile phones industry, user isn't forced anymore to carry an mp3 player, pda, GPS, pocket camera, etc.. or use a TV Remote.. they have all the handy stuff in one single device.

If we extend the gimmicks to PP (picture protect) then we can say that rotation animation is a gimmick, transition animations the same.. Those are functionality that doesn't offer any real utility, it just pleases the eye and make the actions more "natural".
    If you were on Crackberry several Yeats ago you will remember that touch screens were a gimmick. Nearly everyone said they would never buy one. Mmm...

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-12-14 08:01 AM
    I pocket dialed 911 on my Z10. I didn't realize it until they called me. How embarrassing. Sold it for that and many other reasons.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Lol well idk you could have turned it off...

07thking likes this.
    04-12-14 08:01 AM
    I pocket dialed 911 on my Z10. I didn't realize it until they called me. How embarrassing. Sold it for that and many other reasons.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I can't even hold the phone anymore. I end up dialing someone every time especially when I'm using the flashlight function. It's like magic. All it takes is one accidental touch on the screen and BAM I'm suddenly connected to someone in my contacts.
    04-12-14 08:03 AM
    By your definition a camera on a Blackberry would be a gimmick. Blackberries had been around a while and functioned well without them and were convenient and efficient. Ditto for a music player.

If the next iPhone comes out without Touch ID you can say that this feature that I love to use is a gimmick. But I find it terribly convenient so to me it's a great feature.

See? It's subjective.

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    Hmm ill put it this way.. when apple has the touchid did they put an alternate way of locking the phone? Yes same for picture passwords. And again my point is it's purpose of locking and unlocking the phone was filled by pin locks a long time ago. It's easy but again novelty feature

04-12-14 08:04 AM
    How uh.....how do you do this?

Posted via CB10
    That isn't a native feature of the file manager but I'd like to know how he did that as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 09:44 AM
    You guys sound like Gary Oldman from the new HTC One commercial....

Bla bla bla bla bla.....

Or the teacher from Charlie Brown!

04-12-14 10:09 AM
    How uh.....how do you do this?

Posted via CB10
    Why it's an app of course. A native BB10 app

Check out ID3IOT in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/47953889

Photos captured using BlackBerry devices - C00016D81
    04-12-14 10:21 AM
    So do I use picture password everyday and I consider it a gimmick.. why? The iPhone has been around for a while and functioned well without it. Would you still be able to lock and unlock your phone without touchid? Yes. That's my definition and why I made this post. It's convenient and efficient but not necessary

I completely agree that gimmicks sell. I chose the moto x for to try out its touchless control and the active display. These features are gimmicks but they're also reasons why I have not looked back at bb10 since leaving it.
    The picture password on bb10 still remains to this day the best lock I have used. Is it a gimmick totally. But for me an effective one just like touchless controls and active display on the moto x.
    Bb10 needs more gimmicks. It needs smarter designers to come up with gimmicks. It is what sells.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-14-14 12:25 AM
    Really?

Attachment 262274

Wifi always on.
    gmail push, 5 email accounts with 1 hour fetch, 3 twitter accounts, instagram, facebook, pages, whatsapp, google+, etc.. all with push notifications active.
    Used a bit web browsing, facebook, google+, app store updates (many! With lots of data), played some games, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, since the iOS battery stats record any passive background process as 'usage', I assume that at a little over 3 hrs of "usage" in 48 hrs the phone laid in a drawer for two days.
    04-14-14 01:06 AM
    Yeah, since the iOS battery stats record any passive background process as 'usage', I assume that at a little over 3 hrs of "usage" in 48 hrs the phone laid in a drawer for two days.
    Really? So when I take my phone to work with me and use it throughout the day and on my commute it's actually been sitting in a drawer somewhere passively accumulating usage time?

OK. So I guess I imagined using my device all day.....

04-14-14 05:45 AM
    Hmm ill put it this way.. when apple has the touchid did they put an alternate way of locking the phone? Yes same for picture passwords. And again my point is it's purpose of locking and unlocking the phone was filled by pin locks a long time ago. It's easy but again novelty feature

Would you please explain the difference between a gimmick and a feature? For example, if adding something new to something that worked before without it, would you then say that BB10 is a gimmmick? BBOS worked fine, although arguably slower, BBOS had more functionalities that did not cross over to BB10; gestures are certainly a rarity rather than the norm so there is novelty surrounding the use of gestures, WebOS nothwithstanding.

See, just because something is added that is new does not automatically make it a gimmick. BB10 detractors could consider gestures gimmicky whereas fans could consider it innovative. So again, it's entirely subjective. One person's "gimmick" could be another's feature. To me, Touch ID is a convenient feature. I haven't tried Picture Password so right now I see it as a gimmick. Some people might consider using two apps at the same time on the same screen a gimmick, I find it terribly useful.

I would argue that "gimmick" is a dismissive word for a feature that the speaker doesn't like or hasn't tried, or one that is found in the competition's devices.

To me, it's subjective. To you, it's a hard fast rule.

Subjective. Perspective.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    04-14-14 06:08 AM
    Hopefully in 10.3 there will be some "gimmicks" that help move some BB10 phones. Hopefully it does not get outshined by that WP8.1 stuff.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-14-14 06:08 AM
    Would you please explain the difference between a gimmick and a feature? For example, if adding something new to something that worked before without it, would you then say that BB10 is a gimmmick? BBOS worked fine, although arguably slower, BBOS had more functionalities that did not cross over to BB10; gestures are certainly a rarity rather than the norm so there is novelty surrounding the use of gestures, WebOS nothwithstanding.

See, just because something is added that is new does not automatically make it a gimmick. BB10 detractors could consider gestures gimmicky whereas fans could consider it innovative. So again, it's entirely subjective. One person's "gimmick" could be another's feature. To me, Touch ID is a convenient feature. I haven't tried Picture Password so right now I see it as a gimmick. Some people might consider using two apps at the same time on the same screen a gimmick, I find it terribly useful.

I would argue that "gimmick" is a dismissive word for a feature that the speaker doesn't like or hasn't tried, or one that is found in the competition's devices.

To me, it's subjective. To you, it's a hard fast rule.

Subjective. Perspective.

Smh bb10 isn't a continuation of bbos. I'm not even going to go on

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:20 AM
    Hopefully in 10.3 there will be some "gimmicks" that help move some BB10 phones. Hopefully it does not get outshined by that WP8.1 stuff.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    This!!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:20 AM
    I completely agree that gimmicks sell. I chose the moto x for to try out its touchless control and the active display. These features are gimmicks but they're also reasons why I have not looked back at bb10 since leaving it.
    The picture password on bb10 still remains to this day the best lock I have used. Is it a gimmick totally. But for me an effective one just like touchless controls and active display on the moto x.
    Bb10 needs more gimmicks. It needs smarter designers to come up with gimmicks. It is what sells.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Agreed!! Smarter designers and innovative ones too

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:21 AM
    Smh bb10 isn't a continuation of bbos. I'm not even going to go on

Posted via CB10
    Of course it isn't. I never said it was. I was making the point that BBOS worked before. By your interpretation, BB10 would be a gimmick since the previously existing OS worked.

But I'm still wondering on how you would differentiate between a feature and a gimmick.

My point still stands - it's a matter of perspective and user preference.

04-14-14 09:24 AM
    Of course it isn't. I never said it was. I was making the point that BBOS worked before. By your interpretation, BB10 would be a gimmick since the previously existing OS worked.

But I'm still wondering on how you would differentiate between a feature and a gimmick.

My point still stands - it's a matter of perspective and user preference.

It is somewhat perspective, but for example like I said the touchID is a gimmick (doesn't mean it's not useful or well thought out) but even apple still made the pinlock method available.

On bb, picture password is awesome but again pinlock is available.

Swiping up on words feels natural to me now, awesome in fact.. but I've turned it off before and I didn't die ah.

Paranorma mode on cameras is beautiful when you use it, but again it's nothing essential even to the camera.

Subjective but you can easily point to things as gimmicks. For the past 2 years now I think mobile phones have reached the peak and are just packing gimmicks into phones (they are still improving parts used) . There needs to be something innovative arriving out of all this.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:44 AM
    Really? So when I take my phone to work with me and use it throughout the day and on my commute it's actually been sitting in a drawer somewhere passively accumulating usage time?

OK. So I guess I imagined using my device all day.....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/14/rymamesu.jpg

It wasn't your screenshot I quoted.

If I remember correctly your iPhone stats showed something like 24 hrs, 8 of which were usage (you and I had this discussion some time ago in another thread).

So if his iPhone shows 3 hrs of usage and 48 hrs overall, yeah, I assume that phone was just laying around receiving messages, barely actively used.
    04-14-14 09:57 AM

If I remember correctly your iPhone stats showed something like 24 hrs, 8 of which were usage (you and I had this discussion some time ago in another thread).

So if his iPhone shows 3 hrs of usage and 48 hrs overall, yeah, I assume that phone was just laying around receiving messages, barely actively used.
    Sounds fair

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 10:15 AM
    It is somewhat perspective, but for example like I said the touchID is a gimmick (doesn't mean it's not useful or well thought out) but even apple still made the pinlock method available.
    Using this criteria, electric garage door openers are a gimmick because you can still open and close them manually.

Touch ID is simply a way of conveniently bypassing the PIN unlock. You have to use the PIN if the phone has been reset, if it has been more than 2 days, or if the fingerprint scan fails 5 times. It also allows you to set a more robust PIN rather than the four digit one you were using for convenience. Also, since about half of all users weren't even securing their phones, it does establish a lot more security for them.
    04-14-14 10:28 AM
    Using this criteria, electric garage door openers are a gimmick because you can still open and close them manually.

Touch ID is simply a way of conveniently bypassing the PIN unlock. You have to use the PIN if the phone has been reset, if it has been more than 2 days, or if the fingerprint scan fails 5 times. It also allows you to set a more robust PIN rather than the four digit one you were using for convenience. Also, since about half of all users weren't even securing their phones, it does establish a lot more security for them.
    Yes hmm I don't think I've ever seen Walmart ask you to come shop because of their electric store... or have you ever chosen a store based on the fact that their door was electric?

Again it's efficient but you can do without it. Thanks for selective quoting btw, the exact same scenario you put I also put about picture password.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 10:37 AM

On bb, picture password is awesome but again pinlock is available.

Swiping up on words feels natural to me now, awesome in fact.. but I've turned it off before and I didn't die ah.

Paranorma mode on cameras is beautiful when you use it, but again it's nothing essential even to the camera.

Subjective but you can easily point to things as gimmicks. For the past 2 years now I think mobile phones have reached the peak and are just packing gimmicks into phones (they are still improving parts used) . There needs to be something innovative arriving out of all this.

Posted via CB10
    I'm still not in agreement on your categorisation of gimmick.

Let me try. I see a gimmick as fluff meant to ellicit a "WOW that's cool" response yet lacking substantive use. Example - hovering on Android. I see that as a gimmick because I see that almost reaching the realm of a parlor trick. This would be different from the convenience of using a print to unlock a device, which is useful when you're carrying four bags and are carrying a baby. This is not to be confused by BB10's Hub icon, which a level of ease to someone who can get lost using gestures (it happens, a friend of mine is constantly getting lost.)

Where there are two methods of doing something you see that as evidence of a gimmick. I see it as a redundancy which mitigates the danger of a single point of failure. Redundancies are needful things. Example - let's say my Touch ID fails. I can still use my code. Or your Picture Password fails. You can still use a regular password entry. Or a better example - keyless start on a car. I will not buy a car that relies only on keyless start. I want a redundancy if the key fob fails. (which is one of the reasons I didn't buy the volvo I'd been eyeing.)

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-14-14 10:39 AM

Understood. I get you.

04-14-14 10:43 AM
    To you it might be a gimmick, but what if an amateur photographer uses the device and its panorama mode to take pics of breathtaking landscapes, beaches, cliffs, etc and sells prints of those photographs? To that person is panorama mode a gimmick or a feature?

On my phone, I can set up remote controls for TVs and other electronics. In my apartment complex's fitness center, someone has misplaced the remote to the TVs in the room. The TV's are mounted high on the walls, and I can barely reach to turn it on and change the channels, volume, etc. But I've set my phone up to act as a remote for those TVs. So is that a gimmick or a feature of my phone?

Yesterday I was invited to an impromptu breakfast with friends, and my friends were closer to the restaurant than I was. I realized I'd be holding up their orders if they had to wait for me to get there. As I was driving I used voice dictation to text "Order a triathlete omelette for me. I'll be there in 10." Is that a gimmick or a feature?

If an exercise buff buys a device with a built in heart rate monitor and thinks it works as well as his/her previous strap/watch combo and is able to throw that away and just use his/her mobile device, is that a gimmick or a feature?

If a world traveler uses his/her device as an on-the-fly translator, is that a gimmick or a feature?

I agree with Q's assessment that one person's gimmick is another person's feature.
    04-14-14 10:46 AM
195 ... 45678