Ok well I am getting a 8820 and keeping my Curve as well for a backup bb. My questions:
    1. Can I get my emails delivered to whichever bb I have my sim in at the time or do I have do the whole switch device thing on my bis?
    2. It is just as simple as putting my sim in the new berry and it will work (ie: no $30 activation fee)
    3. Is there a easy way to cope me device info to my 8820? If not, how do I move contacts on my sim?
    4. What are good excuses for not letting people touch your bb? I try to be nice, but I don't want even my best friends touching a bb worth over $200
    5. Is it possible to receive a previous owners emails? I am buying it used.
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 09:39 PM
    The best thing you did was come here for advice!
    Do a search on all your questions, and they will be (without a doubt) answered. IMO
    If they are not answered, than post them, this is the most knowledgeable forum when it comes to BB I know!
    06-03-08 02:43 AM
    I can help some here:

1. you will have to do the device switch thing with your bis.

2. you should be able to if both phones came from your current carrier.

3. the desktop manager has a switch device feature, which worked great for a Peal to Curve switch, but not sure about your phones.

4. good luck here...

5. don't think so.
    06-03-08 07:30 AM
    Bump..........

06-03-08 08:10 AM
    As long as you update your IMEI # in your carries system it should switch over. A trick I've learned is to go into Options> Advanced Options> Host Routing Table find the bold print numbers, highlight, press menu key, select register now. This will send a registration notice and speed up the process.
    Just switch SIM card, no extra activation fee as you are just changing devices, not adding a line.
    Use Desktop manager to do a back up of the old one and then use the restore function on the new one, this will switch over your personal data. You will have to add apps through app loader though.
    Not too sure on the friends thing. Mine see me get the nervous with out my BB shakes and give it back instantly, lol.
    If you got your device used, I don't think you'll get previous owners emails as that goes through your SIM via BIS but you may get some stray PIN messages.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your new BB!

06-03-08 08:41 AM
    So with email, I can switch back and fourth if I keep updating my ime?

06-03-08 01:20 PM
    Thanks!
    No problem, BlackBerry maintains a download library of software and publications.

The users manuals are PDF documents. Download your model and use Adobe Reader to view it.

BlackBerry - Manuals and Guides

Doh: Sorry, I misread email as manual.

You should not be getting the previous owners emails, he is responsible for updating his settings.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-03-08 at 01:56 PM.
    06-03-08 01:53 PM
    Thanks and the link is helpful too
    06-03-08 03:09 PM
    Ok well I am getting a 8820 and keeping my Curve as well for a backup bb. My questions:
    1. Can I get my emails delivered to whichever bb I have my sim in at the time or do I have do the whole switch device thing on my bis?
    Everything on your account is attached to your SIM. For full effect you will have to switch the PIN and IMEI on the BIS site.

2. It is just as simple as putting my sim in the new berry and it will work (ie: no $30 activation fee)
    Yes. No activation fee. I took my SIM out of my Moto L2 and stuck it in the Blackberry. I went on my ATT online account access the next day (not BB site, just reg ATT) and it showed the BB as my phone, where it used to show the L2.
    As a sidenote SMS, MMS and data on the BB worked just fine without a BB plan (I added BB service later for unlimited data)

3. Is there a easy way to cope me device info to my 8820? If not, how do I move contacts on my sim?
    The desktop manager has a function for this.

4. What are good excuses for not letting people touch your bb? I try to be nice, but I don't want even my best friends touching a bb worth over $200
    Tell them you have a mild skin rash and as a result its all over your phone

Thanks!
    No, since everything is attached to their SIM.

Last edited by danpass; 06-03-08 at 07:34 PM.
    06-03-08 07:24 PM
    06-03-08 07:28 PM
    Thanks, and I like the skin rash idea

06-04-08 05:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD