I have a Sony bravia tv with hdmi port. I have a Q10 and a macbook pro running 10.9.

I only play videos stored on the local hard drives of both those devices. Can someone recommend a miracast??

I've read that this is better for content locally stored vs streaming that's why I picked it over chromecast.
    03-31-14 07:15 PM
    Two very different things.

Miracast allows you to send a mirror image of your device's screen to your TV or other display. The advantage is that you can display your device's OS on a large screen, and any app will be view-able, or even just the OS's UI. The disadvantage is that your device is tied up while you are "mirroring", and that notifications and such will be visible on the big screen, because your device's screen is literally mirrored. It's conceptually like a wireless HDMI adapter, even though it works slightly differently.

Chromecast dongles allow you to "cast" media (music, pics, videos) from just about anywhere to the Chromecast, provided you have a Chromecast-enabled app to support it. (Local/LAN media files are cast-able using several current apps and more are coming). While you can't display your device's UI with a Chromecast, the big advantage is that your device is just acting as a remote control - once you send your media to the Chromecast, your device isn't in use, and you can use it for other things while the Chromecast continues to play your media on the TV. Conceptually, it's not a lot different from a Roku, except that the UI and controls are all done from your phone/tablet/device rather than on the TV screen. This keeps the cost of the Chromecast down.
    03-31-14 09:39 PM
    This is the product the Dad Does guy used in his video.
    04-01-14 04:41 PM