I remember the rumors of my 9930... It all seemed like a dream. Finally we got a release date, and then i got my very own Spint 9930.

Wow its got NFC really?! Little did i know that there was little to no future for it. I dont get it. Blackberry racked up their prices on this sexy phone and included an amazing feature called NFC but never supplied us with a use.

When can we expect a wallet similar to google wallet?

Is there any future in NFC for blackberry. I know there was talk about a google wallet back in Nov. 2011 but i just dont see any updates.

All of this google wallet talk has just been making me very jealous. I see people paying with their smartphones and i wish i could do that. Afterall the blackberry 9930 was one of the first devices to sport NFC so what is taking so long?!?!

Please share your opinions.
    02-20-12 01:33 PM
    You mean the google wallet that was hacked last week? No thank you.

Besides, there's already good use for nfc, have a look at the NFC Launcher app.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-20-12 02:47 PM
    Yeah as I don't want any bugs or for it to get hacked, I can see why you would be jealous! I mean lets face it its pretty cool technology and would come in soo handy!
    02-20-12 02:49 PM
    Yes they were hacked. But they acted quickly and fixed the problem.

On the other hand we do have it in our phones and we did pay for it afterall in the price of the phone so we may as well get it working!!
    It bothers me how i feel like blackberry never pulls through on their promises... Or if they do it just takes them 10 years.
    02-20-12 05:07 PM
    This was a feature I wanted to use. I thought I'd get the 9900 - launch week and a month or two later the NFC payments feature would be up & running.

I will have to get some NFC tags to get myself by until then.

Telifonica Spain are trialing the NFC payments at the moment I hear / read here.

I'm waiting for the public transport payments too.
    02-20-12 05:44 PM
    People are paying with their NFC phones already. In some countries you can use VISA & MAstercard...just not in the US
    02-20-12 06:22 PM
    As much as people would like to say Google Wallet was Hacked... it wasn't. There was a design flaw in the app yes, but the service itself wasn't hacked. And with app's design flaw (which has since been patched), it was still akin to somebody dropping their wallet and somebody else picking it up and using the credit card. Add on top of that, the only funds that were available to a person who snatched your phone were the limited funds you put into a prepaid account (access to your actual credit cards wasn't achieved), so in reality, the mobile payment method was still more secure than somebody else actually getting their hands on your card.

But hey... if you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, go right ahead.
    02-20-12 07:14 PM
    There was a crackberry article a few weeks ago that talked about RIM working with a company in Spain for NFC payments with the Bold.

There was also another video recently on crackberry that showed mobile payments.

It's only a matter of time before we see it, use it
    02-20-12 08:12 PM
    As much as people would like to say Google Wallet was Hacked... it wasn't. There was a design flaw in the app yes, but the service itself wasn't hacked. And with app's design flaw (which has since been patched), it was still akin to somebody dropping their wallet and somebody else picking it up and using the credit card. Add on top of that, the only funds that were available to a person who snatched your phone were the limited funds you put into a prepaid account (access to your actual credit cards wasn't achieved), so in reality, the mobile payment method was still more secure than somebody else actually getting their hands on your card.

Saying it was hacked is way sexier though...
    02-20-12 08:16 PM
    There was a crackberry article a few weeks ago that talked about RIM working with a company in Spain for NFC payments with the Bold.

There was also another video recently on crackberry that showed mobile payments.

It's only a matter of time before we see it, use it
    Telefonica. As I stated above......I wasn't joking.

http://crackberry.com/telefonica-dig...ry-smartphones
    Last edited by Ben1232; 02-20-12 at 08:22 PM.
    02-20-12 08:19 PM
    NFC is not just for payments, there's other uses for it already, I use NFC Launcher every day, tap a card on my door and my signal changes to 2G and wifi is turned on when I get home. Tap another when I leave the house and signal changes back to 3G, gps on and wifi turns off. These work from anywhere within the phone, you don't have to be on homescreen.
    02-20-12 08:27 PM

I agree with you that loosing the phone is less dangerous than loosing a real wallet with plastic cards in them.

However, I still can't understand how could Google have a design that stored the key to the wallet in an insecure, easy to access place on the phone (or to allow a full reset and initialization by anyone).
    It is like building the most secure building in the world that can stand any attack from intruders, but then keep the key to the building under the mat in front of the main door.

But again we are talking about Google, a company you can't count on a lot when it comes to security and privacy (wide open app store, and latest mass privacy infringement). So I am not surprised if someone find another stupid Google design flow again.
    03-05-12 07:35 PM
    I agree with you that loosing the phone is less dangerous than loosing a real wallet with plastic cards in them.

However, I still can't understand how could Google have a design that stored the key to the wallet in an insecure, easy to access place on the phone (or to allow a full reset and initialization by anyone).
    It is like building the most secure building in the world that can stand any attack from intruders, but then keep the key to the building under the mat in front of the main door.

But again we are talking about Google, a company you can't count on a lot when it comes to security and privacy (wide open app store, and latest mass privacy infringement). So I am not surprised if someone find another stupid Google design flow again.
    There was no privacy infringement. A few competitors would like you believe that (cough Microsoft cough!) , but it's not true. All Google did was consolidate all their numerous privacy policies into one global policy, which turns out to be more easily understood and more transparent than anybody else's. Effectively, there were no changes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-05-12 08:11 PM
    T-Mobile is supposedly blocking NFC totally from working on T-Mobile Blackberry devices, so I really have a useless feature. I hope that part of the delay with getting 7.1 is them rethinking this feature.
    03-05-12 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD