i have a verizon bb storm. I want to use gps with google maps.

is there a non-carrier branded os for the storm? or an alternative os that does not suppress my ability to use gps without VZ Navigator?

what options do i have?, how can i get it to work?

thanks
    02-06-09 05:55 PM
    BlackBerry Maps (default map app in the app folder) can use GPS. Once you open the app, there is an icon in the bottom left part of the screen that allows you to turn on GPS. It will pin-point your location, not give you an area like Google Maps. It will even follow you as you move. I haven't used it for extended trips or anything, but I know GPS works for BB Maps.

Also, if there was an alternative OS, I certainly wouldn't recommend using it.
    02-06-09 06:00 PM
    Verizon does not have the GPS locked on the storm. There are many 3rd party apps out there working on the storm. Google maps says they are working on the problem. They have not given any timetables. For more info go to the forom regarding GPS
    02-06-09 06:03 PM
    BB Maps works OK. You can also try Nav4all (free?) and Garmin ($80). See: http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/ for available OTA apps.

Google Maps will not likely be Storm-compatible for awhile. See: Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help
    02-06-09 07:05 PM
    Interesting, if you take a VZW Storm, select GSM network and then try Google Maps, the GPS works INSTANTLY... I tried it. Now, what is it keeping the GoogleMaps folks (or the Verizon ones) from shaking hands and responding to their customer's desire to have the device work?
    02-06-09 07:36 PM
    Interesting, if you take a VZW Storm, select GSM network and then try Google Maps, the GPS works INSTANTLY... I tried it. Now, what is it keeping the GoogleMaps folks (or the Verizon ones) from shaking hands and responding to their customer's desire to have the device work?
    Did it, worked. But it will not load a map. GPS worked, but no map. Had to switch back for the map. Ueless so far.
    02-06-09 07:47 PM
    how do I "select gsm network" ?
    02-09-09 08:09 PM
    Go to Options > Mobile Network and select GSM.

Does anyone know if there are any consequences of using a GSM network? Instead of bars, Im getting a red SOS.
    02-09-09 10:44 PM
    I have a Verizon Storm running .75 and I can't get apps such as Viigo, BB Maps, WeatherBug, etc. to pick up GPS. I'm in NYC with 4-5 bars 1xev
    02-09-09 11:21 PM
    Go to Options > Mobile Network and select GSM.

Does anyone know if there are any consequences of using a GSM network? Instead of bars, Im getting a red SOS.
    the phone won't use GSM in the U.S. if you are on VZW. you would have to unlock and use another carrier for GSM coverage. the "quad band function" is for international travel so that as a CDMA carrier you can use your VZW phone number to send and receive calls.
    02-10-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD