Hello all,

I am getting deployed to Afghanistan with the Army come mid February. I had some questions about phone usage.

First off I am taking both my Bold 9000 and Bold 9700 which I have recently had AT&T unlock for me. I know there are prepaid phone cards but does anybody know how well these work. Do any of these have internet use or text messaging?

Also, I know that there is a Vonage app for Blackberry phones. Does anybody know if this will work in international countries?

My last question is when the wifi is active. I know that there will be internet at the post that I am going to be at and I believe I can tap into that service. Is there anything that would block the wifi from working on either of these phones? (Such as not having an active sim card?)

I have looked at pre-paid sims but the sites always seem a little shady and would like to hear from some people that have used these cards.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Mathrin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 07:50 AM
    First off, thanks for your service to our country, and I hope you come back healthy and quickly as possible.

That said, I can't tell you much about the getting international service in Afganistan, but if you use wi-fi, you can use your phone just like you were at home (given the limits of wi-fi connectivity of course), so were I in your position, I'd keep the phone "as is" and just use it via wi-fi on the base.
    12-08-09 09:09 AM
    Thank you for your service to our country!
    Have you talked to att about it? They may be able to offer some good alternatives for using the phone over there as I'm sure they've handled this question before. Also there is an att forum here on CB with att reps that might be able to offer advice.
    Thank you again stay safe and godspeed.

12-08-09 09:40 AM
    I have no idea on the matter, but even from the UK I wanted to thank you for your service to the whole matter, and wish you a safe deployment and return.

Hope you can get the phone matter sorted, and stay in touch with loved ones throughout.
    12-08-09 09:58 AM
    Who you with? I leave In feb also and an looking for the same info.
    Last edited by perry6666; 01-18-10 at 09:12 AM.
    01-17-10 09:49 PM
    I know nothing about the Vonage app but a sim card doesn't stop you from using wifi. And prepaid service does have text service as far as I know but it could differ from service providers, could be totally different especially overseas. And good luck, don't let your Crackberry distract you on those frontlines lol.

01-17-10 10:58 PM
    Thank you for your continuing service. Unlock and get a sim but beware -- folks not friendly operate the local networks. Maintain OPSEC.
    01-17-10 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD