It is just my opinion but BlackBerry will never succeed with their gesture based OS (BB 10) on keyboard phones. I have a Bold 9900 and I love it but I will not upgrade to the Q10 because it doesn't make sense that a phone with very small screen space relies on gesture based software? It makes sense for the Z10 and Z30 because of the screen real estate you're working with, swiping and peaking seem cool and functional, but those features are totally lost on the Q10 from what I can see and have tried. I think BlackBerry needs to go with Android OS for their keyboard phones and reinstate the track pad and home buttons. I just think that BlackBerry's target audience is professionals aged 25-55 and they do not have time to sit at their desks trying to figure out the software for hours on end and whined up clamouring for their old phones back. I have seen and heard countless stories of people upgrading from their Curves or Bolds to the Q10 and not knowing what the hell is going on? BB's whole niche was not keyboard phones it was "grab it and go!" No need to spend a week figuring out how the software works. Anyways like I said it's just my opinion but I think BlackBerry just tried way too hard to invent the wheel on this one and forgot the wheel wasn't what made them great, it was the car!
    Last edited by Tom_Brady; 01-16-14 at 10:53 AM.
    01-16-14 10:32 AM
    I disagree being in IT i heavily give a 10 min session for training before giving Handhelds never had a single complaint after. Problem is most IT people that hand out the device themselves don't know how to use it, which causes others that get the device to be in worse shape.

I have has many people come back and thank me for the brief 10 mins I have them and all have come back as addicts of the new os. Since I work for oil and gas companies everyone's needs q10 to work with, z10-30 are kept even on the roster to sell because we get maybe 1-2 people that ask for it.

Education = happiness for the users I deal with, if they are not educated I see mega backlash and people wanting ios or legacy BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    01-16-14 10:41 AM
    But Android is different to BBOS7 as well.
    So if BlackBerry changes to android people still have a totally new os. I get your point that many many people are to stupid using a new system, but then the solution is simply to stick with their old devices?

And Android is moving to a gesture based system as well: keep in mind old android phones had 4 physical buttons. Now you are down to 1 or 2....

Preisente Preisvergleich -BBworld-> https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Ug4LQpyZ
    01-16-14 10:41 AM
    I disagree. I made the switch from the 9930 to the q10 and yes maybe the first couple of days I was doing things slower but now I can do anything I want quickly.

To the uninformed, I agree, it's not super simple to use. When someone picks up my phone to do something they think it's extremely complicated, but once I show them how bb10 functions they like it a lot.

I can't see e myself ever going back to os7, it feels ancient. I feel the extra screen real estate is a big improvement over the 9930, and I now want a z30 after hearing how great the keyboard is.

I've never owned an android phone but I do have an android tablet and many people I know use android phones so I've tried them out. It seems clunky to me and I've never enjoyed using it. I think BlackBerry moving to android os is a mistake since then they would just be a hardware competitor to 100's of phone manufacturers who use android.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 10:45 AM
    Isn't Android mostly a gesture based OS geared toward touch screen as well?
    I think you are saying go with a BBOS 7, which they already did. or lets go further back to Symbian.
    01-16-14 11:01 AM
    Isn't Android mostly a gesture based OS geared toward touch screen as well?
    I think you are saying go with a BBOS 7, which they already did. or lets go further back to Symbian.
    From what I understand android can be skinned or themed to look like anything you'd want.
    01-16-14 11:06 AM
    Personally I find the Q10 screen in practice to be smaller then the 9900 as most times the lower menu bar takes up too much space.
    01-16-14 11:09 AM
    I disagree being in IT i heavily give a 10 min session for training before giving Handhelds never had a single complaint after. Problem is most IT people that hand out the device themselves don't know how to use it, which causes others that get the device to be in worse shape.

I have has many people come back and thank me for the brief 10 mins I have them and all have come back as addicts of the new os. Since I work for oil and gas companies everyone's needs q10 to work with, z10-30 are kept even on the roster to sell because we get maybe 1-2 people that ask for it.

Education = happiness for the users I deal with, if they are not educated I see mega backlash and people wanting ios or legacy BlackBerry devices.

Consumers don't have a backup IT guy though.
    01-16-14 11:17 AM
    I think BlackBerry moving to android os is a mistake since then they would just be a hardware competitor to 100's of phone manufacturers who use android.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry isn't moving to Android OS. Android runs in a sandboxed area of BB10's memory. The functional OS is still BB10, Android is just for apps.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    01-16-14 11:23 AM
    I would disagree. Initially, I had the same reservation as yours and thought the OS wouldn't look good w/ keyboard, just like HTC ChaCha looks hideous w/ Android.

However, I was wrong because the only difference I find between the Qs and the Zs is the screen orientation (besides the screen size, of course).

Posted via my beautiful, red Q5 (10.2.1.1925)
    01-16-14 11:24 AM
    Consumers don't have a backup IT guy though.
    Sorta to a point but is sales where not so against BlackBerry It would help too. I just got my dad a z30 and he's been loving it since I gave him a small rundown. Problem that's run into for consumers is lack of help when making the choice, and agreed that not everyone has a tech savey person they can rely on.

01-16-14 11:46 AM
    I think if you know how to use BB10 you're quicker to get things done than on OS7 for most of the tasks. It's true that you have to get used to it which takes a couple of days until you really feel secure but once you do, you're so efficient with that system.

Multitasking and switching between apps while having a quick view on communication for example is a lot easier than on android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 11:52 AM
    ? Seriously? Seriously? No no no seriously?

U can fight the q5, z10, maybe the Z30, but Q10 simple screams "can't touch this... n the song continues"

Dude give a spin, ull need a month or so, and if u don't love it ill buy it of u!

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-16-14 12:00 PM
    Nothing to see here .....move along
    rthonpm likes this.
    01-16-14 12:01 PM
    I went from a 9800 to the Q10 and the swipe gestures work very well. Much faster and efficient than using the Torch.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:07 PM
    I don't agree, the OS6 and 7 were far more complicated and need more time to get use to them than the OS10.
    Of course I understand that most people when are used on a certain OS for them is uncomfortable to use another one .

Sent from my Z 30
    01-16-14 01:02 PM
    You're wrong, OP!
    I am using Q10 (private) AND Bold (work)...
    Q10 is amaizing! They are 2 different pieces! Trust me... Make the jump, you'll never regret! Keep your Bold if you want, as I did... But Q10 is much better!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    01-16-14 01:08 PM
    I would disagree. Initially, I had the same reservation as yours and thought the OS wouldn't look good w/ keyboard, just like HTC ChaCha looks hideous w/ Android.

However, I was wrong because the only difference I find between the Qs and the Zs is the screen orientation (besides the screen size, of course).

Posted via my beautiful, red Q5 (10.2.1.1925)
    When you type a message or Mail, the screen size becomes same as on the Q... however, watching a film/surfing the web might be better on a Z

Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-16-14 01:11 PM
    Personally I find the Q10 screen in practice to be smaller then the 9900 as most times the lower menu bar takes up too much space.
    False! The Q10 screen is slightly bigger and the lowe bar shows only up when needed, by swiping down on the browser for example... and even on this window, you see much more than on a Bold, in comparison... The Bold's screen is only as big as this white window, I have 2 bars by replying here (screenshot).
    Cheers
    Gesture based OS will never work with keyboards-img_00001848.png

01-16-14 01:15 PM
    The only reason the Q10 is "hard" for people to get at first is because the outside of the phone looks so similar, while the inside (the OS) is totally different.

You're DREAMING if you think BlackBerry will just go to Android, and at one post, I'm tempted to think this post is meant to troll.

The people who think the old buttons should come back (the trackpad, etc.) aren't giving BlackBerry 10 a chance. A trackpad isn't conducive to BlackBerry 10.

I had many BlackBerrys before BlackBerry 10, and went from two 9900s and a 9810 to a Z10 in March. I got used to the swipe gestures, and then got the Q10. The Q10 WAS a bit of a learning curve for me, like less than a day, because physically it felt the same, but visually, the OS is totally different.

It's like if you kept the shell of your car but someone totally changed the insides... the engine, the steering wheel, the breaks, the gas pedal.. at first it is confusing (and I originally didn't like the new straight keyboard), but after you adapt, you see it really was for the better, and I know I can't imagine going back.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-16-14 04:27 PM