I read about this technology in a mystery/thriller book I was reading. I thought it was sci-fi..being able to pinpoint someone from where they snapped a pic. But, as my naive self found out, it's very real.

I made sure Geotagging is turned OFF on my phone!

Send a Cell Phone Pic, Invite a Stalker - Local News - New York, NY - msnbc.com
    Last edited by Mama2Many; 12-16-10 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos
    12-16-10 02:41 PM
    No different then checking in on foursquare saying where you are if you ask me.
    12-16-10 02:48 PM
    At least with Checking In features you are aware of what you're doing...telling people where you are. When I use my phone to snap a pic and share, I don't think that I am broadcasting my locations every time.
    12-16-10 02:52 PM
    Actually I do I leave it active on my on purpose as well as when I send to twitter it also has a location attached.
    12-16-10 02:56 PM
    People posting to social networking sites are hurting their security as well. Especially when they post about a trip, or whatever.

Any personal information should remain guarded including keeping geotagging off for pictures you take at home, work, or friends' places.

It really is for your own good...
    12-16-10 04:07 PM
    I don't think its a big secret that if someone really wants to find your location they can track your cell as long as the battery is in it. But I agree that for your own good geotagging isn't necessary.
    12-16-10 04:22 PM
    I don't think its a big secret that if someone really wants to find your location they can track your cell as long as the battery is in it. But I agree that for your own good geotagging isn't necessary.

Wouldn't one need more info to track you by your cell phone? The number at least? The thing that's scary about the pics(at least to me) is that anyone who sees a pic you might upload to FB or wherever could track you and discover where you live and work.
    12-16-10 06:50 PM
    could track you and discover where you live and work.
    This can be easily done and I wont go into detail but can say thanks for google earth or street view and yellowpages. I just dont like the thought of everyone knowing my exact location every moment or where I've been which is why I dont use places or latitude.. Also I never have my geotagging on for the same reasons.
    12-16-10 06:57 PM
    For decades everyones home address was listed with their name in a phone book. My how things have changed. I'm still listed, BTW. No paranoia here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 07:18 PM
    yeah, because so many people get kidnapped, raped, and murdered because they posted their location on Foursquare, or a stalker decrypted it from one of their photos.
    Not saying it does happen, and I feel immense sorrow for anyone it happens to. But seriously, you're less likely to die if you hooked up to a GPS tracker that's given to every serial killer in the world than you are every time you drive your car.
    12-16-10 08:26 PM
    Having an unknown persons address isn't an issue. Taking a pic of someones anything valuable and posting it with the geotagging enabled, let's anyone know where that valuable object could be located. Some one with lesser scruples wouldn't care about an address as long as they knew the coordinates of the desired object.

12-16-10 08:27 PM
    It'd have to be a pretty expensive thing to attract the attention of a serious thief, and minor thieves would probably rather just jack your stereo or TV. And seriously, who doesn't have an expensive TV?
    12-16-10 08:30 PM
    Still, why tempt people unnecessarily? Do you know everyone on your FB or Twitter? If not and if you have one of society's parasites following you, well now they know when folks are home and so forth.

I don't think the concept of someone taking advantage of information you've just put out there for everybody to use is nearly as far-fetched as some folks are making it out to be.

I suspect in the future we're going to see it a lot more often.
    12-16-10 09:15 PM
    i didn't think the geo tagging was public. I thought it was only shared with your 'friends' on the service you were using. I know a friend of mine was showing this feature to me on her iPhone.

I'm with the who cares band wagon on this one. If someone wants to find you there's a way without hacking your geotagging or your google latitude account. The way information flows freely and instantly all over the world these days I think geotagging is the least of your security worries.
    12-16-10 10:19 PM
    I personally think if somebodys wants to track you down they would anyway, regardless of whether you geo-tag stuff. People are clearly becoming paranoid about every little thing.

Perhaps you should also begin to walk backwards as to confuse people with your footprints.

12-17-10 06:46 AM
    I don't want everyone to know where I'm at all the time either. But, if I'm hanging upside down from my seatbelt after crashing off the side of a mountain into the woods, I would be dang thankful that technology would allow rescue to help find me.
    12-17-10 07:04 AM
    Geotagging at the least can be a very useful tool to confuse a friend or to alert authorities of your last known location with a picture of some kind of structure.

I'm cynical...

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-17-10 07:10 AM
    Good grief! Enough with the paranoid comments. I am NOT paranoid and I am NOT losing sleep over this! Nor do I feel the need to walk backwards...eyeroll...

I read an article about something I didn't realize was possible and wanted to share. There ARE people out there that will abuse this and I think people should know about it so they can NOT put that info out there if they so choose. It has nothing to do with being paranoid. It has everything to do with being educated.
    12-17-10 08:03 AM
    Then all you nay sayers should take a pic of a pile of money on your kitchen table with the GT enabled and post it on FB, then see how well you sleep for the next few weeks. Haha! That is essentially what your doing when you photograph that engagement ring or your coin collection, then post it on the web. You have just told everyone where it may be found. If so many find Geo Caching fun, why wouldn't crooks enjoy Geo Robbing?

12-17-10 08:51 AM
    Then all you nay sayers should take a pic of a pile of money on your kitchen table with the GT enabled and post it on FB, then see how well you sleep for the next few weeks. Haha! That is essentially what your doing when you photograph that engagement ring or your coin collection, then post it on the web. You have just told everyone where it may be found. If so many find Geo Caching fun, why wouldn't crooks enjoy Geo Robbing?

I am not a naysayer and I lul'd at the last sentence.

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-17-10 08:53 AM
    A speck of dust on my screen and I thought you said geo rubbing... made me smile :-)
    12-17-10 09:02 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Im sure if they wished to steal a certain item, perhaps they'd rob a store full of them??? And as for the pile of money, im pretty sure everybody is in posession of money and thiefs don't need a picture to remind them of this.
    12-17-10 10:13 AM
    Glad to here that Tripster,
    That would be funny trucky! Lol

Arron, stores have cameras, anti theft tags and even security guards. If I were a thief I would have less apprehension breaking into an unprotected home after seeing their post on My Space that they were on vacation. I'm not paranoid, just cautious in these dark times. Why make it easier?

12-17-10 01:04 PM
    How can they assume a house is unprotected?? Nearly all houses are alarmed or have some sort of security measure, would they rather not just target unprotected houses in the first place rather than chancing with a geo-tag picture.

I understand the education of how to use this function, but believe thieves would find easier ways to steal than this.

12-17-10 03:12 PM
    Might as well just mention on Four Square which atm you are using and how much money you will be withdrawing while you're at it.

Social Networks can seriously open Pandora's box to the lurkers, lurking with intent and if you think that's paranoia than you are way to sheltered for your own good.

Thieves will steal Social Security numbers by going through your trash, what says thieves won't use Social Networks to do the same?

This is the technology age people, not the stone age and thieves will think of new intelligent ways to rob you without you even knowing what hit you.
    Would you Tweet your ss#, so why announce to the mass public where you are at throughout the day and than say "I just got a ring for my wife and its at home" and you're not even there?

Its not brain surgery to figure out that you are responsible for you're own actions and why even prosecute the criminal when you aided them?

Much appreciated for reading another brain damaging post of mine.

Thnx, �Tripster�

12-17-10 03:21 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD