Hey there,

I'm still going through all the features of the new Storm and this one I came across was great! First off anyone that has used the maps with the gps function knows its a breeze for navigation, its almost as good as VZ Navi just no turn by turn, ect.... Even without service it works (So I hear.. Haven't not had service yet. Good Ol, VZ). Then I looked through the options in the camera to find geomapping. Turns out if you turn on geomapping and your gps is turned on in maps a little white signal icon will apear on the right hand camera bar. After the photo is taken while reviewing you can select options and it has a mapping function that shows you where the picture was taken! I think it's pretty awesome to see BlackBerry incorporate some unexpected functions into this sweet little package that continues to surprise me. Way to go BlackBerry! Love my Storm and its Shield!

Maps:
    Home>Applications>Maps>Then turn on GPS

Geomapping:
    Camera>Options>Then enable geomapping>Then while taking a picture make sure the little white icon is there on the right of the camera info bar.

PS. Software Leak is good! NO problems so far and things are much speeded up as certainly needed.
    12-03-08 01:34 AM
    Cool, I will give it a try.
    12-03-08 01:57 AM
    yeah too bad the flickr app is a POS and doesnt work with the geotagging.
    12-03-08 02:19 AM
    how do you turn on the gps in maps???
    12-03-08 03:22 AM
    it says in the help to go to options and change the GPS field but thats not an option for me...
    12-03-08 03:34 AM
    ya the geotag is awesome... However I wish that when you sent it out people could see were it was taken on the map too.. it only shows up locally on your maps as far as I can see...

I know it would be hard to get a image to do that but it would be cool
    12-03-08 03:41 AM
    ok ill explain detailed

go to options>advanced options>GPS
    turn location on
    and aiding enabled

Then go to blackberry maps open it up.

lower left hand corner there is a button to click to start gps navigation.

once satellites are locked in app switch out to the home screen or hit the end key either way just dont close bb maps

OR you can just open your camera if its a convernience key

anyway just get to your camera without closing maps...

then once in the camera hit the blackberry button (menu key)

click options

in the list there is geotagging.

put it to enabled ignore the warning box etc save and head back to camera

after a few seconds the lower right hand icon in the camera will be lit and WHITE if its red you don't have a location.

take a picture and safe it

Once it is saved open the picture on the device from media.

when the picture is being viewed hit the blackberry button (menu key)

there will be a option to view it on map.

in which case it will jump over to the map and place the picture on it with a arrow showing were you were when you took it.

Hope this helps..
    12-03-08 03:51 AM
    yeah too bad the flickr app is a POS and doesnt work with the geotagging.
    The geotagging still works with flickr. The EXIF data contains the lat/lon of the picture. The application will not resolve the "Where I am now" or whatever they call it. Which I'm not disappointed with, I don't always upload a photo immediately. I've sent plenty of photos up to flickr through the app, it is a nice conduit, but not as polished as you'd expect for a release piece of software.
    12-03-08 06:40 AM
    Actually it doesn't need to be that complicated. Just make sure your GPS is turned on
    In advanced options and enable geotagging through the camera menu options and you
    are set to go. You don't need to go through maps at all.
    12-03-08 07:04 AM
    It seems though that if left on location services will eat your battery alive though
    12-03-08 07:28 AM
    Cool at least there is a work around for the Flickr app (using the camera app to geotag)...

But where is the outrage that Verizon and RIM allowed an application on their app "store" for launch that has an entire feature broken, like geotagging in Flickr?

I am personally really tweaked by this. Reason being we are all still a little nervous with the fact that Google Maps GPS still does not work. Makes me nervous. Luckily we have found a few community GPS programs that do work with the Storm's GPS... Otherwise I would of returned my Storm immediately.

One of the primary reasons I bought this phone is for Google Maps and GPS... I can patiently wait if I know Verizon did not lock the GPS.... So this is why I just can't understand why they would let Flickr ship with the Storm.

Read this Verizon... You will loose customers if you ever decide to lock the Storm's GPS... Truckloads of customers!
    12-03-08 07:42 AM
    It seems though that if left on location services will eat your battery alive though
    No, only when you use an app that makes use of location services does it use any power. If you don't have one active, the LS doesn't drain the Bat.
    12-03-08 07:47 AM
    I just got mine working and it is pretty cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 07:50 AM
    GPS seems to only work when you are in direct line of sight to the satellites.
    If you are inside, or under some kind of cover, I've noticed the gps fails to locate any satellites. This must be due to the lack of a large antenna for grabbing the signals.
    However, I was in florida last week and took a few pictures on the beach, out in the open, and it worked like a charm. I view it on the map and it is dead on accurate.
    12-03-08 03:28 PM
    GPS seems to only work when you are in direct line of sight to the satellites.
    If you are inside, or under some kind of cover, I've noticed the gps fails to locate any satellites. This must be due to the lack of a large antenna for grabbing the signals.
    However, I was in florida last week and took a few pictures on the beach, out in the open, and it worked like a charm. I view it on the map and it is dead on accurate.
    Yeah, all the standalone GPS devices are like that...if you're indoors, it wont work because it only picks up GPS satellites...Assisted GPS (aGPS) for phones uses the normal GPS satellites as well as the cell phone tower signals...with aGPS, youll also be able to use GPS indoors

I paid for VZNav, which uses both...im pretty stoked that it gives me real time traffic...anyone use this feature before?...when I was going through the tutorial for the storm at RIM, it looked like I had to click one icon for the gps maps and a separate icon for traffic...shouldnt traffic and the gps maps be used together?
    12-03-08 03:43 PM
    Very nice find!
    12-03-08 04:32 PM
    another awesome thing - not sure if it was in the previous OS, but it has image stabilizer on it too....i shake like a leaf but with that on I can take some good pics now!!!! i am happy.
    12-03-08 04:55 PM
    so in order for this feature to work , I have to re install bb maps than right? I did all the gps and enable geotagging but its not giving me the option to find out where the pic was taken . I deleted bb maps bc I downloaded google maps instead. I'll try and re install bb maps and see if that works
    12-03-08 06:04 PM
    Where do I get bb maps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD