Apple, RIM group wins $4.5 billion Nortel patent auction | Reuters

RIM will pay $770 million for their part of the bid. Does that mean their cash is now at $2.25 billion?
    07-01-11 08:10 AM
    I'm not sure what this means for RIM, can someone please explain. Thanks!
    07-01-11 08:45 AM
    I'm not sure I can fully explain but in broad strokes, it means that Apple & RIM now own whatever patents Nortel put up for sale. There must be a list some place.

This means that Google and Intel are denied access to whatever processes and technologies that are contained therein and, Apple & RIM now own the rights to these patents and may now exploit them or sell them or license them out.
    Spaceheater likes this.
    07-01-11 09:00 AM
    07-01-11 10:38 AM
    Requires a login/password.

The feature you requested is exclusive content available only to GlobePlus members.
    07-01-11 10:39 AM
    Indeed it is very good news. )
    07-01-11 10:52 AM
    Indeed it is very good news. )
    Not for Google.......
    07-01-11 10:54 AM
    screw Google. Thank god they put money down. 770 million is a nice chunk as well. They've made a good decision.
    07-01-11 10:55 AM
    Well, this is Great News. Although, given the recent climate of RIM being under scrutiny, this is probably going to be swept under the Rug.

Although, I am extremely excited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 12:22 PM
    So this is going to help their phone sales somehow?

07-01-11 01:36 PM
    So this is going to help their phone sales somehow?

It will protect them from law suits, allow them to use technologies without having to pay royalties and will allow them to get PAID royalties.
    07-01-11 01:44 PM
    Well, this is Great News. Although, given the recent climate of RIM being under scrutiny, this is probably going to be swept under the Rug.

Although, I am extremely excited.

This is good news. The way things have being going lately if RIM wasn't in on the purchase price we would have probably been slammed today for having lawsuits and not being able to sell any phones.
    07-01-11 01:44 PM
    As per the article:

The latest sale spans wireless, wireless 4G, data networking, optical, voice, Internet and semiconductor technologies. The most prized relate to emerging 4G standards such as long-term evolution (LTE).
    07-01-11 04:57 PM
    This is good news. The way things have being going lately if RIM wasn't in on the purchase price we would have probably been slammed today for having lawsuits and not being able to sell any phones.
    Undoubtedly, it is Magnificent News. I'm more so referring to the technology news community, that will not likely portray this as what it is. Since it's Very Good things for RIM. (And the rest of the Consortium.)

07-01-11 05:05 PM
    what this means they will suck blood out of android vendors, with all patent litigations andriod vendors will end up paying more than a lincensed copy of windows phone OS. already htc is paying msft $5/android phone sold, on top of this if oracle wins the $6.1 billion law suit android is royally screwed.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 07-01-11 at 07:33 PM.
    b121 likes this.
    07-01-11 07:30 PM
    Requires a login/password.
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 1, 2011) - As announced separately today by Nortel Networks Corporation, a consortium of certain technology companies, of which Research In Motion Limited ("RIM") (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) is a part, emerged as the winning bidder for all of Nortel's remaining patents and patent applications for a cash purchase price of USD$4.5 billion. RIM's portion of the purchase consideration is approximately USD$770 million. The sale is subject to applicable Canadian and United States court approvals. Nortel plans to work diligently with the consortium to close the sale in the third quarter of 2011.

Sorry, perhaps a bit late on this one.
    07-01-11 09:18 PM
    When Skype was for sale Google acted like they showed interest in it and bid it up just so MS would have to pay more for it knowing good and well they, Google, didn't want it because they were already making something better. It seems Google did this again with the Nortel patents, Dealtalk: Google bid pi for Nortel patents and lost | Reuters once again, if Google wanted it, they have gotten them, but it seems like Google likes to just have fun bidding the price up. I'm sure the amount extra Apple paid is in turn less than Google would ever have to pay out for licensing issues, so I'd say Google got the last laugh

07-02-11 05:31 AM
    This may be the case ...however it is not....Those 6000 patents are an absolute treasure.

Google has a very limited patent portfolio is very limited and will allow the competition to strong arm litigation that will become very costly in the long term...
    andyahs likes this.
    07-02-11 09:26 AM
    Google lost out BIG TIME here. They know it, everyone knows it.
    07-02-11 12:07 PM
    meh, i think if it was important to google, they'd have bid a little more seriously, but i'm sure they'd like everyone to think they care
    07-02-11 02:36 PM
    Patents are massively important to any tech company....doesn't matter if they recognize it our not....
    07-02-11 04:34 PM
    not debating that, just saying, from a critical thinking standpoint, if you have patents up for bid, and they're estimated to sell for 90 million, and you know it's going to take billions to get them, but not billions if you have to license or get sued, isn't it just as productive to drive the price up for your competitors as to actually spend the money?
    07-02-11 04:39 PM
    Here is a good take on it:
    I, Cringely � Blog Archive � The enemy of my enemy - Cringely on technology

Point being that each party to the consortium gets rights to different parts of it.
    07-02-11 04:47 PM
    Google bid Pi. Yes, they bid 3.14159!! I actually do believe that they may have just messed around to put the price up. Or maybe they thought they would be really witty.

07-03-11 04:51 AM
    here is a list from nortels website. nortel patent list yeagh its alot.
    euro2low likes this.
    07-03-11 06:47 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD