I know Wifi can be used (assuming there is a signal) in place of the VZW network but does that mean you have to turn off the service to use Wifi or can they both be set to "on" and you select which one to use when you start a data app (like a browser, etc).

Also is it possible for the sales rep in the store to verify that Wifi works before they let you walk out of the store? I'd hate to make a double trip and given the recent issues that Wifi has had I'd like it to work "out of the box" if possible.
    10-30-09 04:11 PM
    I am going to piggyback this to your post, because it is a similar question, but mine is a silly question. Does it just GO to wifi or do you have to switch it over to that? I asked this at the Verizon store and they sort of looked at me puzzled and said "You're all set on our wifi network ready to go!" I am like "Ummm ok...what?" i was under the impression it was more like a laptop and you had to set it at each individual destination with a pin etc. etc. This is my 1st BB, so I am probably going to win the award for highest number of stupid questions.
    10-30-09 04:23 PM
    Mine seems to want to use the WiFi for data whenever it can. But when I get to the edge of the WiFi network, the WiFi logo goes gray, it still shows the network name, but then it uses the EVDO instead.

Whenever I arrive at my office, it picks up the WiFi automatically.

Remeber, there is no Voice or SMS over the WiFi network (yet?)
    10-30-09 04:27 PM
    I know Wifi can be used (assuming there is a signal) in place of the VZW network but does that mean you have to turn off the service to use Wifi or can they both be set to "on" and you select which one to use when you start a data app (like a browser, etc).

Also is it possible for the sales rep in the store to verify that Wifi works before they let you walk out of the store? I'd hate to make a double trip and given the recent issues that Wifi has had I'd like it to work "out of the box" if possible.
    You can leave them both on, set your default browser to Hotspot browser and you will be cruising on WiFi. As long as your WiFi signal is white you will pull your RIM services over the WiFi connection as well. If they have a MiFi router there they can set that up to confirm that the phone is tunneling into RIM's servers.
    I am going to piggyback this to your post, because it is a similar question, but mine is a silly question. Does it just GO to wifi or do you have to switch it over to that? I asked this at the Verizon store and they sort of looked at me puzzled and said "You're all set on our wifi network ready to go!" I am like "Ummm ok...what?" i was under the impression it was more like a laptop and you had to set it at each individual destination with a pin etc. etc. This is my 1st BB, so I am probably going to win the award for highest number of stupid questions.
    When they said "you are set on our wifi network" they meant their EVDO revA network. You still have to set your WiFi up at each location that you wish to use it. There are no stupid questions, just make sure you search the forums diligently before starting a new thread they will flame you for it otherwise.
    Mine seems to want to use the WiFi for data whenever it can. But when I get to the edge of the WiFi network, the WiFi logo goes gray, it still shows the network name, but then it uses the EVDO instead.

Whenever I arrive at my office, it picks up the WiFi automatically.

Remeber, there is no Voice or SMS over the WiFi network (yet?)
    You probably will never see UMA from Verizon. T-mobile offers it because that is the only way they can get so-so coverage.(poor excuse in my book) You get to the edge of your coverage area and the icon goes grey because you are dropping too many data packets to sustain the VPN tunnel to RIM's servers.

I hope I have answered everyone's questions here as simply as possible.
    10-30-09 04:40 PM
    Ok I asked this earlir but got no answers..... I now know about switching the broswer to hotspot so that i runs off the wifi but whatabout apps like facebook? is there a way to "force" it to use the wifi? because at my house it tries to use the 3g instead of the wifi and the 3g signal at my house is very low/nothing.
    10-30-09 05:48 PM
    "You probably will never see UMA from Verizon."

While they may not call it UMA, isn't this exactly what the Verizon Range Extender does? It allows verizon phones voice access over the internet where there is no cell signal. Just put the same software on the phone?
    10-31-09 06:45 AM
    I hope I have answered everyone's questions here as simply as possible.
    you did for me, thanks very much!
    11-01-09 09:59 AM
    "You probably will never see UMA from Verizon."

While they may not call it UMA, isn't this exactly what the Verizon Range Extender does? It allows verizon phones voice access over the internet where there is no cell signal. Just put the same software on the phone?
    Kinda, the U in UMA stands for unsecured, the range extender is encrypting everything from the handset all the way to the phone switch. UMA is unsecured from the handset over the internet until it gets to a phone switch. Verizon is big on a secure network(I don't blame them).
    11-01-09 11:27 AM
    another question - when you say default browser should be hotspot browser, is that referring to the bb browser? I tend to use Opera Mini 99% of the time, do I need to make a setting adjustment there or can I set it for the whole phone?

I've been reading a lot of small but annoying issues regarding a dim screen and possible WiFi issues so I might hold off a while before taking the upgrade. My NE2 is effective in January and by then (hopefully) the bugs for the S2 will be mostly ironed out and the DROID will have been out for a bit as well.
    11-02-09 04:18 PM
    I also have a general WiFi question and my search has left me more confused than ever.

I'm a regular Verizon customer and DO NOT have an international data plan. If I'm in Canada or Mexico and have the mobile network turned off and have a white WiFi signal, what can I use and will I be charged? I'm assuming everything is free, calls, emails, whatever. Is there anyway for Verizon to charge for that? I would think not but hate surprises.

I know this has been covered because I've read about it, I just can't find an answer that isn't quailfied with, "I think."
    11-02-09 04:39 PM
    I also have a general WiFi question and my search has left me more confused than ever.

I'm a regular Verizon customer and DO NOT have an international data plan. If I'm in Canada or Mexico and have the mobile network turned off and have a white WiFi signal, what can I use and will I be charged? I'm assuming everything is free, calls, emails, whatever. Is there anyway for Verizon to charge for that? I would think not but hate surprises.

I know this has been covered because I've read about it, I just can't find an answer that isn't quailfied with, "I think."
    I have the same question. Waiting to upgrade to a storm 2 from an 8830. Was in Montreal on Friday.....return flights were cancelled. Was on the phone most of the afternoon trying to reach people, as I had no email AND no WIFI. Really could have used WIFI. But it begs the question, does Verizon charge for that?
    11-16-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD