@Troy's comment.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 05:51 PM
    I simply refuse to believe in the little 'too little, too late' mind set...well, for this situation. Who is defining the time line? Hindsight is 20/20 and it so very easy to 'scroll' through the historic events and 'go' there, there is where they went right....or 'heaven forbids'..there is something they got right. Either way...it's a no win situation. Every company have and will make mistakes. Sometimes over and over. I don't see BlackBerry 'willing' the masses to do what they want. Apple, didn't innovate...that replicated and made 'you feel good about it'. That is what they do. Nothing right or wrong about it, or good or bad about it. I don't think BlackBerry is that emotional. It's a mobile device...not a soul....but i digress. If BlackBerry desired, they would need to convince the masses, that they are here and a great alternative to the 'think different' thinking all the same crowd. BB10 is fine for me, I use it every single day..can I be the only one in the world out of the billions and billions and billions of people inhabiting this planet? It is depressing to think people are so weak to think that neither can penetrate the Android and IOS duopoly.....sad that people have no vision of a future when something else, anything, doesn't have to be BlackBerry, can not break through. If you can't then the marketers have done their jobs (and quite well actually).
    The wall of text is strong with this one.
    03-28-16 05:52 PM
    I simply refuse to believe in the little 'too little, too late' mind set...well, for this situation. Who is defining the time line?
    Well, BlackBerry is defining the timeline. More to come on Friday.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 05:58 PM
    Not that it matters...

But, to continue as a broken record, Domino's Pizza here in the US suffered - and rebounded - from an interestingly similar case, albeit in an entirely different industry. Losing market share. Increasingly bad sales and opinion of their product as competition from a new chain (Papa John's) gained prominence.

What did Domino's do? They started a VERY aggressive, humorous, tongue-in-cheek ad campaign wherein they "re-branded" themselves, and took time to make their product better. They admitted to the world they screwed up and were self-consciously trying to fix it.

One of my favorite quotes ever is from Mad Men: "If you don't like what people are saying about you - change the conversation.". I wish BB would have had the cahonas to do something similar when BB10 was released - or maybe even now with the Priv and future hybrid Android devices. I believe iconic brands always have staying power, but you have to refashion them every now and then.

People actively root for Tiger Woods when he plays, because HE got 'rebranded' from life and a lot of bad decisions - suddenly now, he's the underdog.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 05:58 PM
    All BlackBerry needs to do is listen to their fans.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 06:05 PM
    Blackberry's problem was never lack of advertising. It was lack of vision, lack of culture. The culture of the Blackberry was mobile communications, back in the day where no one else had this and push Email was not as accessible as today. The brand was created around that culture, leading to the rocketing of BB to world dominance. However after smartphones turned from a niche, to almost an every-day tool used by billions, Blackberry lost relevance as other companies emerged.

The approach of ads stating "look how good our new phones are", does not create a culture nor define a brand. The PRIV attempted to deviate from past failures by emphasizing the BB culture of security and privacy to the world. While this boosted its ranks among a core group of followers, the reality is that the privacy concessions people give to apps like IG, Facbeook, Twitter, Whastapp, Google and other "freemium" apps far outweighs any benefit of privacy features inherent to the hardware.

Ask yourself why people spend $1000 to get the new i-phone every year? Why billions want to be brand ambassadors to Apple. You think its cause of the TV ads, showing the same phone, year after year after year? Honestly the iPhone sucks big-time. I'm not an apple hater, i love my i-pad air, but the phone itself sucks). But Apple created their tech culture and billions wanted to be part of it. This is what Blackberry lacks, and no amount of paid advertising will change that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-28-16 06:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Evidently whatever works for their fans doesn't work on 99.8% of the world, so I'd suggest they don't listen to us.
    03-28-16 06:07 PM
    It's part of a broad cultural shift to link one's own personal identity with the device you use to make calls and send texts with. Any other explanation simply doesn't cover it. It has the air of an epic farce about it, but since it's a lucrative business we are not permitted to take it lightly.
    03-28-16 06:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    So... Restart the BB10 program full blast and simultaneously launch z50 and q50 for $500.00 each. Of course a trade-in program for the loyal fans must be instituted. Also fire Chen with extreme prejudice. Plus a new Bold for the BBOS fans. Blow through all available cash marketing.

Foolproof plan!
    03-28-16 08:51 PM
    So... Restart the BB10 program full blast and simultaneously launch z50 and q50 for $500.00 each. Of course a trade-in program for the loyal fans must be instituted. Also fire Chen with extreme prejudice. Plus a new Bold for the BBOS fans. Blow through all available cash marketing.

Foolproof plan!
    That's not exactly what EVERY fan wants.. lol but something more or less and with some common sense!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 09:00 PM
    That's not exactly what EVERY fan wants.. lol but something more or less and with some common sense!

Posted via CB10
    Don't you actually mean that BlackBerry should listen to you?
    03-28-16 09:05 PM
    Lack of carrier support due to more profit potential with the iphone.

Posted via CB10
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    03-28-16 10:03 PM
    I simply refuse to believe in the little 'too little, too late' mind set...well, for this situation. Who is defining the time line?
    The marketplace defined the timeline. Smartphone growth between 2008 and 2015 was massive, but it's already slowing (it's still growing year over year, but the rate of growth is slowing), which means the main period of growth is over and the failures and consolidations will begin. That is the normal business cycle for explosive new products - demand is really high for a while as everyone converts, and lots of companies enter the market to take advantage of the profits. Once most people have bought in, the growth starts to plateau, and most of the companies who entered the market can no longer survive - they lack the infrastructure, capital, and brand identity to survive once profit margins fall to competition, and so they either exit the market and find the next thing, they get acquired, or they go bankrupt. Only a handful of the strongest survive.

BB largely missed the main growth years, and they weren't profitable during those times - instead they were losing money! And now, they're even worse off, because their product doesn't live in a vacuum - it requires an entire ECOSYSTEM in order to be competitive, and BB has a tiny and shrinking ecosystem, missing some of the most important pieces (for most people). You can't sell to the mass market if you lack the things the mass market wants.

And the smartphone market is so expensive that BB can't make a profit selling to a tiny niche - the competition is too fierce, and they don't have enough of a USP (unique selling point) to command premium prices that are necessary to survive in a niche.

The time to grow an ecosystem is when everyone else is trying to grow theirs - at that time, you don't have competition that are way out in front of you. But by the time BB got in the market with BB10, it was like starting the first lap of the Indy 500 while the white flag is already waving for the rest of the field - they're 199 laps ahead of you in a 200 lap race.
    StephanieMaks and TgeekB like this.
    03-28-16 10:16 PM
    Microsoft are releasing another feature phone soon ... and it won't even command a niche price ... just how do they do it?!
    03-28-16 10:20 PM
    I agree that BB10 is superb but time to move on. Surely with a broader list of Android devices BlackBerry should be able to meet their goal of five million units sold per year.

PS Saw a PRIV in the wild today.
    03-28-16 10:26 PM
    Microsoft are releasing another feature phone soon ... and it won't even command a niche price ... just how do they do it?!
    By having other lines of business, several of them that profit $1B+ per quarter, that they can take from, and because feature phones need almost zero ecosystem support, so they can be made cheap because of relatively little development work. Smartphones come with much higher costs.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-28-16 10:49 PM
    Don't you actually mean that BlackBerry should listen to you?
    There are very reasonable people on here who have reasonable ideas that sound better than what BlackBerry is currently doing. I say BlackBerry should listen to supporters like them and not the craze fans who are crying for a new phone running a dead OS. As for me, I want a better Android phone from BlackBerry and not something disastrous like the Priv lol

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 11:21 PM
    Lack of advertising. That. Is. All.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 11:46 PM
    Lack of advertising. That. Is. All.

Posted via CB10
    +100

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 02:14 AM
    Its a Mute point.
    You mean moot. And yes, it is indeed a moot point at this juncture.
    03-29-16 05:22 AM
    I simply refuse to believe in the little 'too little, too late' mind set...well, for this situation. Who is defining the time line? Hindsight is 20/20 and it so very easy to 'scroll' through the historic events and 'go' there, there is where they went right....or 'heaven forbids'..there is something they got right. Either way...it's a no win situation. Every company have and will make mistakes. Sometimes over and over. I don't see BlackBerry 'willing' the masses to do what they want. Apple, didn't innovate...that replicated and made 'you feel good about it'. That is what they do. Nothing right or wrong about it, or good or bad about it. I don't think BlackBerry is that emotional. It's a mobile device...not a soul....but i digress. If BlackBerry desired, they would need to convince the masses, that they are here and a great alternative to the 'think different' thinking all the same crowd. BB10 is fine for me, I use it every single day..can I be the only one in the world out of the billions and billions and billions of people inhabiting this planet? It is depressing to think people are so weak to think that neither can penetrate the Android and IOS duopoly.....sad that people have no vision of a future when something else, anything, doesn't have to be BlackBerry, can not break through. If you can't then the marketers have done their jobs (and quite well actually).

You seem to be forgetting who is in control of their destiny here. The fans don't control BlackBerry. If BlackBerry doesn't want to step up in major way to get the ads or whatever other marketing out there, then that's on them. Not anyone here. Pretty much everyone here who cares about BlackBerry has called for them to step to the plate and put some marketing muscle behind their devices and they're just not that into it.

You say it's sad the people have no vision while a lot of folks now believe it's sad that BlackBerry doesn't have the vision to put together a few 30 sec spots to sell their own devices. Again, it's not about the users. It's about BlackBerry. Ball is and always has been, in their court.
    03-29-16 11:35 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't want to step up in major way to get the ads or whatever other marketing out there, then that's on them. Not anyone here. Pretty much everyone here who cares about BlackBerry has called for them to step to the plate and put some marketing muscle behind their devices and they're just not that into it.

...of course. I don't disagree, but the sentiment is..'it is too little, too late'. The 'overall' thinking is....'put a fork in, you are done'. I don' t believe that. They need to find their way, I don' t plan on giving any advice on how, but I do know that it is possible. I just find it disturbing how easily people run from a 'good fight'.
    03-29-16 02:13 PM
    The marketplace defined the timeline. Smartphone growth between 2008 and 2015 was massive, but it's already slowing (it's still growing year over year, but the rate of growth is slowing), which means the main period of growth is over and the failures and consolidations will begin.

The time to grow an ecosystem is when everyone else is trying to grow theirs - at that time, you don't have competition that are way out in front of you. But by the time BB got in the market with BB10, it was like starting the first lap of the Indy 500 while the white flag is already waving for the rest of the field - they're 199 laps ahead of you in a 200 lap race.
    So.....this would lead me to believe; if you have a dream of creating anything new, with respect to smartphones...don't. You have missed your window of opportunity...forever....so dismal. If you want to believe that, is your choice. Anything is possible. BlackBerry is competing against a computer company, that decided to make smartphones, wait.... competing against two computer companies who decided to make phones (well, Windows had some type of mobile OS, even before 2008). Wait....BlackBerry is also competing against a search engine company, who decided to make smartphones.....how in the world, do they continue to exist. Seem like a bunch of masochists. They made it this far.....why stop. There is always time. There are people who are always willing to try new things.....even a BlackBerry. It is up to BlackBerry to find there way...it always was.
    03-29-16 02:31 PM
    So.....this would lead me to believe; if you have a dream of creating anything new, with respect to smartphones...don't. You have missed your window of opportunity...forever....so dismal. If you want to believe that, is your choice. Anything is possible. BlackBerry is competing against a computer company, that decided to make smartphones, wait.... competing against two computer companies who decided to make phones (well, Windows had some type of mobile OS, even before 2008). Wait....BlackBerry is also competing against a search engine company, who decided to make smartphones.....how in the world, do they continue to exist. Seem like a bunch of masochists. They made it this far.....why stop. There is always time. There are people who are always willing to try new things.....even a BlackBerry. It is up to BlackBerry to find there way...it always was.
    Anything is possible, including the possibility that BlackBerry will stop trying to compete with Apple and Android.
    03-29-16 02:55 PM
    Anything is possible, including the possibility that BlackBerry will stop trying to compete with Apple and Android.
    ...if it comes to that....life will continue.
    03-29-16 02:57 PM
69 123